Moving to Idaho!
25 posts
11 users
4k+ views
JohnL
one month ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

This old DCSki thread is a nice summary of the local backcountry skiing. dcski.com

Starting in January, will be living just outside Sandpoint and skiing Schweitzer as my main mountain. Retire in December! Mountain and water living, since Lake Pend Oreille is across the street from my new home.1720998744_oqkxpkjvmynm.jpg
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,345 posts
Nice John.  Please keep posting once you’re out there.  I like the northern Rockies very much.  Great terrain, snow and no UT or CO crowds.
HokieDave
one month ago
Member since 01/2/2024 🔗
7 posts
Please post a trip report or two. I have not skied Schweitzer and would like to hear about it. 
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
Way to go John! Congrats on retirement. 
Crush
one month ago
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,276 posts

Fam - Dope! Maybe we can hook up after Dec :  would love the local finds! You so rock hard! Yah yah I know I said I am giving it up but .. err maybe I can't do that.

JohnL wrote:

This old DCSki thread is a nice summary of the local backcountry skiing. dcski.com

Starting in January, will be living just outside Sandpoint and skiing Schweitzer as my main mountain. Retire in December! Mountain and water living, since Lake Pend Oreille is across the street from my new home.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
one month ago (edited one month ago)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
Good deal. Idaho is my favorite state after West Virginia. Been to Sandpoint but never skied Schweitzer. There ‘s a recent article in Ski Magazine about how it acquired an additional 4,000+ acres. I think big plans are afoot there, especially since the snow is of better quality than places closer to the coast. You won’t be terribly far from some other good resorts as well: Brundage, Tamarack, and Whitefish, Kicking Horse, and Revelstoke.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,278 posts

Congrats on finding a snowy place for the next phase of life!

I'm headed to Idaho in March to check out Tamarack and Brundage.  Inspired by the fact that they are on the Indy Pass.  Also going to check out Bogus Basin for a day.  Bill is providing the AWD car and driving per usual.

Noticed that Alterra decided to incorporate Selkirk Powder's snowmobile and cat skiing operations next to Schweitzer into the resort.  That may move a flight to Spokane higher up on the bucket list.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
one month ago
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Hope to ski with you in UT again next winter John, maybe in ID too?!?
JohnL
one month ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Denis wrote:

Nice John.  Please keep posting once you’re out there.  I like the northern Rockies very much.  Great terrain, snow and no UT or CO crowds.

Denis, my main reasoning for choosing ID. I love the snow and terrain of UT, but getting too darn crowded. Some of your posts from 15+ years ago got me acquainted with the area. Lots of small uncrowded ski areas near the ID/MT border. Want to check them out. I’ve already skied Silver and 49 Degrees North in the past, both are fun local areas with great tree skiing.

jimw
one month ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
116 posts
I enjoyed that area two winters ago.  I would go back.  We enjoyed 49 Degrees North and Lookout Pass was fun, too.  We stayed in Ponderay and went to Schweitzer for a few days since we had the Ikon.  The other resorts had really good prices on their lift tickers.  The only thing that's weird (for snowboarders)  is that Lookout Pass requires a leash.  I have one because I like carrying my board over my shoulder while hiking.  My son and friend had to buy one at the shop.  I was looking at real estate after my trip.  Congrats on the move! 
Crush
one month ago
1,276 posts

jimw wrote:

" ... We enjoyed 49 Degrees North ... " is that the slope angle or a compass direction? If it is a slope angle I'm in that rocks hard!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
2,345 posts

Crush wrote:

jimw wrote:

" ... We enjoyed 49 Degrees North ... " is that the slope angle or a compass direction? If it is a slope angle I'm in that rocks hard!

It’s the latitude.  It’s the Canadian border, the northernmost extent of the lower 48 except for a small blip In Minnesota.  The ski area is very close to that line.  In the Manifest Destiny era of the 19th century we wanted more.  There was a slogan, “54 40’ or fight”.   I’m glad that we don’t have Canada.  It’s a very nice country, we’d screw it up. 😁

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
one month ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Crush wrote:

jimw wrote:

As Denis said, latitude, not attitude. Fairly mellow mom and pop area, with some tasty trees. But Diamond not that extreme from what I’ve heard. Come visit and find out. M invited. 

JohnL
one month ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
I’ll hijack my own thread a bit to give many thanks to Denis. This area of the country was unknown to me until I read some posts on DCSki way back when from Denis. I visited in 2022 and fell in love with this area. Denis, mucho gracias. Feel free to come visit, even to ski groomers. I owe you a skier’s salute for all I’ve learned from you.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
2,345 posts
John,  thanks for the kind words.  Skiing with you has been my pleasure.  Hope to do it again.  
Denis
Crush
one month ago
1,276 posts

Heya - are you retired? Free to do what you want and ski what you want? Just curious -  I think I am in the same position EXCEPT maybe Pacifica CA where I can watch whales spout and jump in my sea-side cracker-box condo. 😛

JohnL wrote:

I’ll hijack my own thread a bit to give many thanks to Denis. This area of the country was unknown to me until I read some posts on DCSki way back when from Denis. I visited in 2022 and fell in love with this area. Denis, mucho gracias. Feel free to come visit, even to ski groomers. I owe you a skier’s salute for all I’ve learned from you.
Moe Gull
one month ago
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
42 posts
Great photo. I know people that ski there.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
26 days ago
2,345 posts

Below is from an email to a friend a few years ago.

I consider the 2013 MT road trip to be the highlight of my ski career in many ways.  I never got to Showdown, Turner Mtn, Lookout, Blacktail, Red Lodge, Great Divide.  I did get to Bridger Bowl, Discovery, Lost Trail Powder Mountain, Montana Snow Bowl and Whitefish.  I enjoyed them all.  Lost Trail was my favorite.  I spent about 14 days there in total and never heard the sound of steel edge on hardback or ice; just a soft swish or nothing at all.  There are at least a dozen more smaller areas in MT.  Even in my list above, perhaps 2 or 3 are known to serious skiers from either coast.  The rest, they never heard of.  

Snowfall in MT is 400-500 inches right on the continental divide, which closely follows the MT/ID border.  Going east from there it decreases rapidly, as much as half by 100 miles east, due to the rain shadow effect.  The powder is better than UT in my opinion and equal to the interior ranges of BC.  Crowds?  The busiest of the above, Bridger and Whitefish have at most 20% of UT/CO.  The others much less; Lost Trail 5% at most.  It is only open Thursday-Sunday. It always snows sometime on Monday-Wednesday.  Locals refer to Powder Thursday, because it always is.  I’ve got the sticker on my fats.  The lodge is small and funky, more like Whitegrass than Whitetail.  Everybody knows everybody.  

Moe Gull
26 days ago
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
42 posts

Denis wrote:

The busiest of the above, Bridger and Whitefish have at most 20% of UT/CO.

Bridger is a nice gem. Bogus Basin too. I have been to both of those. I was not expecting that one but it was good.

JohnL
25 days ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Denis wrote:

I consider the 2013 MT road trip to be the highlight of my ski career in many ways.  I never got to Showdown, Turner Mtn, Lookout, Blacktail, Red Lodge, Great Divide.  I did get to Bridger Bowl, Discovery, Lost Trail Powder Mountain, Montana Snow Bowl and Whitefish.  I enjoyed them all.  Lost Trail was my favorite.  I spent about 14 days there in total and never heard the sound of steel edge on hardback or ice; just a soft swish or nothing at all.  There are at least a dozen more smaller areas in MT.  Even in my list above, perhaps 2 or 3 are known to serious skiers from either coast.  The rest, they never heard of.  

Snowfall in MT is 400-500 inches right on the continental divide, which closely follows the MT/ID border.  Going east from there it decreases rapidly, as much as half by 100 miles east, due to the rain shadow effect.  The powder is better than UT in my opinion and equal to the interior ranges of BC.  Crowds?  The busiest of the above, Bridger and Whitefish have at most 20% of UT/CO.  The others much less; Lost Trail 5% at most.  It is only open Thursday-Sunday. It always snows sometime on Monday-Wednesday.  Locals refer to Powder Thursday, because it always is.  I’ve got the sticker on my fats.  The lodge is small and funky, more like Whitegrass than Whitetail.  Everybody knows everybody.  

Alas, the powder locusts have found Bridger and likely Whitefish since your original trip. It’s Bozangeles now. And Boise been among the fastest growing metro areas for several years now, so Bogus and Brundage/Tamarack most likely feeling the growth.

JohnL
25 days ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Moe Gull wrote:

Great photo. I know people that ski there.

Look me up if you visit them

JohnL
25 days ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Crush wrote:

Heya - are you retired? Free to do what you want and ski what you want? Just curious -  I think I am in the same position EXCEPT maybe Pacifica CA where I can watch whales spout and jump in my sea-side cracker-box condo. 😛

JohnL wrote:

Retire in December. Then I can spout 7 days a week like a whale, but only if I feel like it. You two on the move again?

Is your cell cell still 202 area code? Sent a brief drunken text to your old number. Maybe current…

Crush
22 days ago (edited 22 days ago)
1,276 posts
Retire in December. Then I can spout 7 days a week like a whale, but only if I feel like it. You two on the move again?

Is your cell cell still 202 area code? Sent a brief drunken text to your old number. Maybe current…

As you see yep - nice! this is great we have so much in common -- two burned-out software dev types I wonder if Scott will join us soon 😁

JohnL
22 days ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts

Crush wrote:

As you see yep - nice! this is great we have so much in common -- two burned-out software dev types I wonder if Scott will join us soon 😁

From a little birdie, he already has…

And much younger than us.

eggraid
12 days ago
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
513 posts
Congratulations! I've been to Schweitzer several times, it is beautiful when it's not foggy, looking down and seeing a giant lake is very cool, as the fans of Lake Tahoe will tell you. A lot of fun terrain and not many crowds. The snow can be a little hit or miss, but I've been lucky when we go out there. I'm jealous :)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?