Spain as a Ski Destination
9 posts
4 users
lukeindc
13 days ago (edited 12 days ago)
Member since 09/17/2024 🔗
12 posts
While looking at my next ski destination, I never thought I'd be considering Spain as one of those options until I came across this article about skiing there https://www.drumelia.com/23414-skiing-in-spain-all-you-need-to-know.html 

Have any of you been to Spanish ski resorts before? I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences. It sounds like the lower costs and convenient airport access could make Spain a good choice. My only concern is whether my basic Spanish skills would be enough to get by. Are there any resorts known to be more English-friendly that might make communication easier? Would love any tips or recommendations from those in the know.
bob
13 days ago
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
769 posts

I had an expat assignment in Freising, Germany a while back and skied Austria and Italy extensively - even though I didn't  have a working knowledge of either German or Italian. It was never a problem. There were very very few Americans in the Dolomites.. I suspect that Spain would be no different for you.

Also, don't overlook Andorra's possibilities

davwilley
13 days ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
17 posts
I'd say Sierra Nevada or Baqueira-Beret in the Pyrenees would be your best bets for English-friendliness. I found that my basic language skills were sufficient. Many locals, especially those working in tourism, spoke enough English to help if needed. Sierra Nevada specifically seemed to have more English spoken around the resort center.
Overall I'd highly recommend considering a Spanish ski destination. The convenience of flying into nearby airports can't be beat. While it may take some extra effort for communication, you'll save a lot on costs compared to French or Swiss resorts. Also you can consider having english speaking guides as well.
Crush
12 days ago (edited 10 days ago)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts
Pyrenees for sure also maybe consider Northern Piedmont in France?
lukeindc
12 days ago
12 posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, @bob! That's really reassuring to hear. I guess ski resorts are used to international visitors. Never even thought about Andorra, totally slipped my mind but will will look into it for comparison.
lukeindc
12 days ago
12 posts

davwilley wrote:

I'd say Sierra Nevada or Baqueira-Beret in the Pyrenees would be your best bets for English-friendliness. I found that my basic language skills were sufficient. Many locals, especially those working in tourism, spoke enough English to help if needed. Sierra Nevada specifically seemed to have more English spoken around the resort center.
Overall I'd highly recommend considering a Spanish ski destination. The convenience of flying into nearby airports can't be beat. While it may take some extra effort for communication, you'll save a lot on costs compared to French or Swiss resorts. Also you can consider having english speaking guides as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience on Spanish ski resorts, @davwilley! It's great to hear that Sierra Nevada and Baqueira-Beret are good options for English speakers. I've been looking into Sierra Nevada and it does seem like a solid choice. I'm definitely intrigued by the cost savings and easier airport access. 

Quick question - do you have any recommendations for English-speaking guides in Spain? Might be worth brushing up on my Spanish a bit more, but it's reassuring to know that many locals in the tourism industry can help out in English if needed. Appreciate the insights!

lukeindc
12 days ago
12 posts

Crush wrote:

Pyrenees for sure also maybe consider Northern Piedmont in Fance?

I've heard good things about the Pyrenees too. Any specific resorts in the Pyrenees you'd recommend? I've seen Baqueira-Beret mentioned a few times, but I'm open to other suggestions too. Northern Piedmont in France sounds interesting - hadn't considered that before. 

Thanks again for the input, @Crush!

davwilley
11 days ago (edited 11 days ago)
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
17 posts

I have used https://gowithguide.com/spain before, and they are pretty good English speakers and friendly too. Also, you can check with resorts too for guides. You can use Duolingo to learn some common phrases in Spanish.

lukeindc wrote:

davwilley wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience on Spanish ski resorts, @davwilley! It's great to hear that Sierra Nevada and Baqueira-Beret are good options for English speakers. I've been looking into Sierra Nevada and it does seem like a solid choice. I'm definitely intrigued by the cost savings and easier airport access. 

Quick question - do you have any recommendations for English-speaking guides in Spain? Might be worth brushing up on my Spanish a bit more, but it's reassuring to know that many locals in the tourism industry can help out in English if needed. Appreciate the insights!

lukeindc
11 days ago
12 posts

Thank you for the recommendation for English-speaking guides in Spain, @davwilley! Applications like Duolingo can also be useful for learning some basic Spanish expressions prior to the trip. Having even a small ability to communicate goes a long distance when touring another culture.

davwilley wrote:

I have used https://gowithguide.com/spain before, and they are pretty good English speakers and friendly too. Also, you can check with resorts too for guides. You can use Duolingo to learn some common phrases in Spanish.

lukeindc wrote:

davwilley wrote:

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.