Vail Laying Off Staff
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
8 days ago (edited 8 days ago)
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,580 posts
Looks like Vail's poor 2024 financial results is making investors unhappy. Vail lost $175 million in their 4th quarter. Vail's plan to address this....."Resource Efficiency Transformation Plan". That's corporate speak for laying off staff. They indicate 14% of front office staff and 1% of everybody else will be shown the door. Profits down, pass sales down, losing money, so you have to impress share holders. Thus the ....."Resource Efficiency Transformation Plan". Vail also indicated that there are no new lift projects planned for next year. What will this mean to us DC skiers? Maybe having 3 or 4 people with those scanners reading your passes in the lift line won't be happening? There's been little investment in the "Seven Springs Resorts" so I guess that won't be changing. 
Crush
7 days ago
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts

Yep been there done that TL;DR in the Shopify sphere all big companies do this at some point. Lifty, software dev or a tech manager. Biz-speak is everywhere. I'd say try to have a good season at a ski resort. Don't expect more you are a commodity no matter where you work if you call it that.

Best part-time job I had was at The Canyons in the cash room back in the day. I did accounting and everyone would come to work at 4 PM after being on the mountain. We'd all cheer when someone said "I'm so hung over" and puke in the bathroom. Yay!

Gone

Moe Gull
6 days ago
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
45 posts
Good reminder of what it can be like in corporate America. I'd hate to be sitting there doing a great job and then just get laid off anyway.
lukeindc
5 days ago
Member since 09/17/2024 🔗
12 posts

Just goes to show job security ain't what it used to be, no matter how well you perform. Best we can do is keep our skills sharp and network solid.

Moe Gull wrote:

Good reminder of what it can be like in corporate America. I'd hate to be sitting there doing a great job and then just get laid off anyway.
Leo
5 days ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
359 posts

Come on, I figured the Vail apologists could do a better job.  

"They're doing a great job running the resorts they own."  "People are too critical."  Etc. etc.

It's part of the problem with being giant and publicly traded.  A small privately owned mountain could respond much more efficiently to what their customers want instead of what their shareholders want.  

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.