Suggested Vail Resorts New Motto: Addition by Subtraction!
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
7 days ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
262 posts

Any casual skier/boarder understands the surge of popularity in park skiing & boarding in the last decade and its significance in the growth of skiing.

Vail's local response to nurturing this significant driver of interest in the sport?

~Remove the Terrain Park J-Bar at Liberty that serves the mid-mountain terrain park (and eliminate the staffing needed to run it). Replace it with: Nothing.  Predictable result: more crowding of the Alpine Quad during peak hours.

~Remove the Jib Junction Park Double at Whitetail that serves the mid-mountain terrain park (and eliminate the staffing needed to run it). Replace it with: Nothing.  Predictable result: more crowding of the Express Quad during peak hours.

Vail resorts to their customers: Heads We Win, Tails You Lose

DCSteaze
7 days ago
Member since 01/20/2024 🔗
2 posts

The addition of the Jib Junction chair was a great move by Whitetail that I had advocated for for years before it happened. It took a lot of pressure not only off the Express but also Upper Angel Drop. Normally I'd come early, run laps on everything until it got crowded then use the double to take hot laps through the park. If you wanted to just hit some jumps or jibs it was great, you could keep hitting things in quick succession and really build that muscle memory. Now it's back down to the bottom to crowd up the lift with everyone else. We're also adding traffic to Upper Angel making it a bumped up crowded mess with everyone trying to either head to the park, over to the expert chair or down to Home Run for races. The trail is kind of the main thoroughfare for the mountain and anything that relieves the traffic is a good thing.

Same with Liberty, I hated using the bar but it was more the design of it than anything else. It served the same purpose though, lap the park and keep traffic off the chair. This is what I was afraid of when the resorts were sold. Cut funding to smaller local resorts to save the core destination resorts.

needawax
4 days ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
39 posts
At Hidden Valley, hardly any park features were opened last year.  Admittedly, this was partly due to the below average snow season, but also, I believe, due to the lack of motivation/direction to expend effort or spend money.  And this has been the case under Vail for the last 2 seasons.  Hopefully given a better snow season this year, it will be "funny" to see what Vail plans to do to improve or even bring back park features.  I'll note that I'm a traditional alpine skier, but I'm certainly aware of the importance of driving the sport forward with emphasis on park.  So, feel ya, and hope for a better showing this season.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.