Ski Pass on the phone?
3 posts
3 users
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
yesterday
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
501 posts

Epic asked me if I wanted a hard pass or use the app on my phone. Phone passes seem like an awful idea. I am assuming it is a visual scan vice RF .

I have a hard enough time keeping my phone charged while skiing. I stick hand warmers on it and bury it in my inside jacket. Pulling it out every run to scan seems like a pain and a way to run down my battery fast. 

RF passes are fast, can be scanned at a distance and are not degraded by light, snow etc.... 

Just seems like a bad idea to me but... it probably saves Vail a few beans which multiplied by the number of passes probably makes sense to their bottom line, but it sure adds to my lift line!!!

Leo
yesterday
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
360 posts

It is an RF scan, in past years it has been unreliable.  At times comically so.

And something to be aware of:  you can use both but once you scan one for a given day it deactivates the other.  Which is understandable and prevents duplicate use/sharing.  But if you start using your phone and it goes dead or whatever, you can't just start scanning your physical pass that same day.

I can see the argument for both.  Personally I want the physical pass.  It just stays in my ski pants which I always have on regardless of temp or conditions etc. 

needawax
yesterday (edited yesterday)
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
40 posts

My son and I use the physical Epic pass and snap it in a holder on our helmets or keep it in our pockets - haven't had a problem with scanning those at all.  Wife is very phone-centric and switched to phone.  Phone sucks not only because "you" are your phone these days, but, yeah your phone can die and you're screwed.   I've had the unfortunate event of misplacing a pass only to find it later -  the good thing about hard passes is that (at least to my current knowledge) places like 7S HV and laurel will print you a new one on the spot given the correct verification, or if you have someone in your family who has one on them so they can look up the info. 

Vail would rather you use your phone.  Saves them print and postage.

I don't yet have a tattoo, but if you could do a barcode across the back of my neck, I'd use that before using my phone, but hey to each his or her own.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?