Where\how many days have you been skiing/boarding this year?
26 posts
11 users
8k+ views
JohnL
January 6, 2000
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I've only made it out once this season, due to a busy work schedule and spotty conditions. Fortunately, my one day was a good one - the Monday after Xmas in Sugarbush, VT. I hit one of the few good windows for Vermont skiing this season. The day was cold so the crowds were down, and there was just enough recent snow to have a lot of terrain open. Castlerock (no snowmaking) was open and had some good snow - along with a lot of rocks. Par for the course for expert terrain in VT. It was a very tough day for the first day out, but you have to get when the getting's good.

Wanted to do some local skiing, but the lack of open terrain hasn't justified the drive/lift price for Liberty, Whitetail, etc. Since it's been over a week, I'll probably go to Liberty this Sunday, regardless of open terrain.

How many days have others made it out?

(Anonymous)
January 6, 2000
Made it out to Snowshoe twice during the holidays. Dec 26th was great, skiing was awesome but very windy and cold. Goggles a must. Went back on the 28th and conditions were even better. It snowed all day. No wind, more open terrain but a lot more crowded. Rode 1/2 day and skied the other half. Can't wait to go back 1/15-16. See ya at the top or bottom of Cupp.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 6, 2000
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I've only been skiing once so far this season, last Thursday at Whitetail.

However, I'll be skiing at Snowshoe early next week and in Winter Park, Colorado in early February. I hope to sprinkle in day visits to many resorts in the area this season, too, and possibly make a weekend trip up to New England sometime.

Jim
January 6, 2000
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Been out three times so far this season. All at Liberty. The first day was just after Christmas. While everyone was hitting the sales, I was hitting the slopes. I was amazed at how much snow Liberty got down in such a short time. The next time was the eve of New Year's Eve and then New Year's Eve itself. Lots of fun both times although the snow was getting mighty soft with all the warm weather. I'll be out there again tomorrow night, Saturday and Sunday - I've got the ski bug bad! As a buddy of mine would say - I'm just a stone cold ski junkie. All this local skiing should prepare me for the big trip to Vail in April - God, I hope they get more SNOW!! I also plan on hitting Whitetail later in the season. Pray for COLD!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
(Anonymous)
January 7, 2000
I've just been to Canaan Valley on 1/2. But have plans to hit Bryce for night skiing with the kids in a week or two, weather permitting. I was at Sugarbush last year for a couple of days of skiing. Castlerock wasn't open, but it looked awesome, actually from the other lifts it looked intimidating...several long, steep, narrow trails. Is it as unrelentingly steep as it looks? I've skied Outer Limits at Killington and I thought Castlerock looked tougher because of the narrowness. Scott and other guy: I hope you report back to us about Winterpark and Vail after your visits. I skied both back in '76 and haven't been back to those particular areas since. The steep Mary Jane part of Winterpark had just opened, but I know they've expanded much more since then. I understand Vail just opened a major new expansion, I'm curious about that too. That '76 ski trip to Colorado was my first one out west and one of my fondest ski memories came on a Vail chairlift. About halfway up the mountain it crested a ridge and before me lay Mid-Vail, a large open bowl-sort of area. There was a lodge there and outside it were, no lie, about 15,000 people picnicing and partying in the March sunshine. I was about 21 and I said to myself, "wow, I'm in the bigtime!"
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2000
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Let's see.... So far, three days in Breckenridge in Nov., and four weekends at the "Shoe". Coming up are this weekend at Whitetail or Liberty, two days at the Shoe, ten days in Vail/Aspen, and ten days in Zermatt. Hope Sumitt County has snow, though.
Gill
January 7, 2000
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
WAAAAA!!!!

I haven't been out yet, but I'm planning on hitting Liberty this weekend. Then, the next two weekends at Canaan and Timberline and 10 days in February at Whistler/Blackdcomb. After that, I'll probably do a weekend or two at Blue Knob (depending on the weather).

JohnL
January 8, 2000
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Coming up I have 4 1/2 days at Vail over President's day weekend and a week in Whistler/Blackcomb at the very end of March. Looks like we're having another La Nina winter and the storm patterns are similar to last year. I went to both resorts last year - W/B was epic (along with the entire Pacific Northwest) and Colorado was horrendous (by their standards, not DC's). For those going to Vail, don't neglect Beaver Creek. Has some of the best bump uncrowded bump runs and expert terrain around.

Hope to do several day trips to Whitetail, Liberty, and maybe Blue Knob (if they get a dump). Blue Knob has some great terrain, but lacks coverage on their best trails. After a major snow dump last year (18 in or more) I had three base welds done on my skiis. Ouch! The powder hid a lot. I'm also hoping to be able to secretly grab some flex time at work and do a regular weekday morning (Wednesdays?) at Whitetail once Exhibition opens up.

Jim K. - Castlerock has some of the best/most challenging terrain I've ever skiied. I've only skiied Outer Limits once, years ago, but they are different animals. Most trails on Castlerock are very similar to the natural-snow trail Devil's Fiddle which is to the skiiers right of Outer Limits. I'd say a much narrower version of Devil's Fiddle, though only two of the Castlerock trails (Liftline and Rumble) are as steep. Liftline and Rumble are classic tough New England: several five foot rock bands (usually covered) and you can't stray more than a turn or two to your left or right otherwise you'll hit a rock, tree stump or other natural debris. Needless to say, I don't ski those runs incredibly fast.

Roy
January 8, 2000
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I skied liberty early this week when the spring thaw started. I'm going to Breck at the end of the month. Ibotta how was Breck?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2000
1,535 posts
Breck skiing was limited, although fun. They had a warm spell in Summit County that really hurt their operations. I am a bit concerned that my trip at the end of this month will mean limited skiing again.

Lou

Roy
January 30, 2000
609 posts
Just got back from Breckenridge. This was my first time out west and had a ball! However, I learned that Keystone is a much better mountain. Less crowds, better slopes, and the ability to night ski. I skied through the trees for the first time. We also got lucky with about 4 inches of new powder everyday with 8 inches one day. Cant wait to go next year. Meanwhile, I'm ready to ski daily here (why cant I win the lottery so I could actually do that?)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 2, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,966 posts
Roy, just curious. More on why Keystone over Breck? How many days did you ski each? What did you think was better about the slopes at Keystone?
Roy
February 4, 2000
609 posts
The one thing that sold Keystone over Breck for me was that the mountain flowed better. Going from peak to peak, Breck had a lot of green slopes that were more like cross country skiing. Peak to peak at Keystone had the choice of green, blue, and black. I also was with a group of 10 people with different ski abilities. This made it easier to stay together and meet up with each other.

Also on that note, the greens at Keystone were steep enough to keep your speed up plus practice form and technique for our entire group (2 of my party are former ski patrol and teachers and they were helping us all out). This made it more fun for all 10 of us to ski together on the same slope without boring the really good skiers. Keystone also had night skiing. So when some people were tired at 3 or 4 o'clock, the others could get in a few more runs and ski until they were tired. This also allowed us to sleep in a little and not get up at 6 every morning to get a full day of skiing. We could get to the mountain at 10 and still ski a full 8 hours. Which was very helpful when we were drinking till 2 in the morning. (Breck definitely has the better nightlife)

However, I would still go to Breck. There is a lot of the mountain I didn't ski but would like to explore. I will just plan it a little better next time so I'm not trying to cross the peaks to meet friends for lunch, then going back to the other side and wasting a lot of time doing cross country on regular skis.

JohnL
February 4, 2000
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
My 2 cents worth on Breck vs Keystone. I think Keystone's layout is a lot worse than Breck's. Both consist of several connected mountains (like any large area nowadays). However, Keystone's layout goes back to front, while Breck's layout is side to side. Keystone has only one mountain (the front) where you can enter. Some of the best terrain is at the very back mountain, which forces you to traverse all the mountains (starting out and ending your day). Breck has a side to side layout with several possible base access areas. You can choose the most convenient one based on where you ski the most.

Breck has better and more advanced terrain than Keystone. The advanced terrain is more cleanly separated at Breck. This is a disadvantage if you want several people to ride up together and ski down differing ability-level trails to the bottom. The segragation has the tremendous advantage of keeping the crowds down on the advanced terrain.

golazo
February 4, 2000
Member since 02/4/2000 🔗
1 posts
Boarded Whitetail on eve of New Year's Eve
and just returned from a 10 day trip to the northwest. Boarded Mt Baker (3 days) and Whistler/Blackcomb (7 days).

Mt.Baker is a sick mountain with more powder
than you will ever come across living on the
east coast. Terrain is like Blackcomb but
at half the price. Only thing that sucks is
poor visibility up top; it snows (heavy
and wet) almost every day there, so tracks
and trails are covered up when you return
the next day.

Whistler/Blackcomb is average when there
is minimal snow, but variety of terrain
more than makes up it. Only received 2 inches
in a week's span while there. Also was there
April'99 and that was heaven !!! Go there
near end of season, else you'll be riding
on groomed hardpack.

p.s. avoid Whistler/Blackcomb on weekends,
esp. Harmony and 7th Heaven quads, unless
you like to be reminded of Whitetail

Scott - DCSki Editor
February 5, 2000
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi gang!

Just got back from six days of skiing at Winter Park, Colorado. I'm 80% through writing a detailed review of Winter Park which I hope to post by Sunday evening. It was a great trip, with fabulous conditions, especially early in the week.

(Anonymous)
February 9, 2000
I have been able to go snowboarding about 20 times this year. I went to Snowshoe once on a bus trip right before christmas, unfortunately the trip home got delayed for 3 hours because the bedliner of a truck flew out the shattered the windshield of the bus. I also went to Snowshoe at the begining of January for four days, the conditions were great other than the third day when it rained all day. Other than that I got a season pass to Massanutten this year because I go to JMU which is only 20min away. They've managed to get 100% open for the first time in a few year. The snowboard park has a ton good jumps and a quarterpipe at the bottom.
Birdmon
October 5, 2000
Member since 10/5/2000 🔗
2 posts
Days, nights...
skied plenty
Thanks to my great government Job, lots of vacation and SKIDOME Club card I got in 30 days of skiing locally last year.

Most skied Liberty, roundtop, whitetail, Seven Springs, Blue Knob.
I also keep a log of my trips and conditions on my web page. http://skidome.go.to

snowbird1981
October 11, 2000
Member since 10/11/2000 🔗
6 posts
I've only made it out four times this season. The first time was sept 23, after Brighton got 8 inches. The last three were at Timberline (mt. Hood) this past weekend. It has been snowing the last two days in the Wasatch, and should continue for the next two days. That should allow for days 5-7 this weekend up at either alta, or brighton.

I live in Northern Va., but I go to school at the Univ. of Utah. Last year I only got in 26 days at liberty 7springs, snowshoe, vermont, etc. I'm shooting for 80 days this season at the 'bird.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 16, 2000
1,535 posts
This year, despite a government job that has me traveling all over, I plan to top the almost 50 days I had last year. First, I scrapped going to Colorado because of the extra expense. The trip to Aspen was a lot more expensive than the trip to Europe. What I did was to consolidate the two vacations I do in the winter, and instead of one Europe and one US trip, I am now going to spend 2 and a half weeks in Zermatt and St. Moritz. Then, it's off to Snowshoe for as many days as I can. On the days I can't, I'm planning on Whitetail, 7-Springs and Liberty. Wintergreen may also be a possibility. Lou
Roy
October 17, 2000
609 posts
Snowbird I am so jealous you've started already. Planning a trip to Heavenly in February, New England in March, and currently standing on the Mountain waiting for the first snowfall here.
Jim
October 19, 2000
Member since 11/22/1999 🔗
317 posts
Last I posted, I had only three ski days under my belt. By seasons end the number was basically close to thirty. This year I hope to start early (bye bye El Nino/La Nina!) and go from there. Any one heard more about the planned opening dates for Seven Springs or Snowshoe?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 31, 2000
1,535 posts
I was at the "Shoe" to work on my condo this past weekend, and although the morning temperature was below freezing (at the top), it was too warm during the day. Snowshoe has a 17 Nov opening day on the books, but we'll see....

The restaurant situation has improved. Close to Snowshoe's entrance, a transplanted Dubliner just opened up the Brazen Head Inn and it seems to be a super place for apres, great beer, homepressed cider, and great music, besides reasonable rooms. Then, the owners of Red Fox are opening up another restaurant/Jazz Bar dedicated to a younger and upscale crowd, in the place where the Eli's Tavern used to be. So more variety.

Lou

Roy
December 3, 2000
609 posts
I got my first day skiing in yesterday. I'm in Denver on business so I went to Winter Park. (On recomendations from Scott's article last year). Great snow, great trails, great views. I wish I had time to go today.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2000
1,535 posts
Was at Stratton over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was great. The resort had about 25 trails open, almost no waiting lines, and the roads were clear. Excellent time.
(Anonymous)
December 9, 2000
I hit up Massanutten today to take my first turns of the season. it felt great to finally get out on the slopes. The conditions were surprisingly good and there was hardly anybody there. I never had to wait in a lift line. The snowboard park had a lot of good jumps and a few rails.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?