With conditions, consider tubing v.s. slopes?
6 users
5k+ views
With the weather being what is is, and conditions on most of the local hills deteriorating rapidly, what sense does it make for hills like LIBERTY to out all their snowblowing assets into the snow tubing park?
My last two trips to liberty (over xmas) featured miserable conditions, and with the follow on heat wave, I can't imagine an improvement.
Check LIBERTY's pics of their snow tubing park, it look very much like there's a much better base there than on any of the other slopes.
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the snowblowers on the quickly diminishing slopes?
I guess it makes financial sense for them to have tubing, but personaly, I think it's a strain on their snowmaking rescources (as well as parking).
Any other thoughts?
I was there on Xmas day as well, and it was tres horrible.
This thaw is hurting them something fierce.
As far as the tube v. slope issue - I guess they are doing what they feel will be the most profitable in these hard times.
However, the past couple of weeks there have been inversions at night. An inversion is where the temps in the valley are actually colder than at the summit. I know of a couple nights where they were only able to blow on their lower slopes (beginner area, tubing park, etc) due to the temp inversions.
Trust me - they won't throw away money on the tubing park if they could put it to good use on the slopes.
maybe it wasn't water they were freezing?
http://www.dcski.com/news/2003/07_10_2003/glacier.php3
http://www.snowmagic.com/main.html
They quote an average snow crystal micron size of 3 microns. Anyone know how this compares to regular snowmaking systems and nature at various humidity levels?
I'm guessing the snow comes out somewhat compressed and "clumpy" but then again, you do GET SNOW when you want it!
They don't say what the max/min can be though... They should probably say something about how uniform the aggregate is...
I would intuitively think more uniformity would be better. Gotta be one of the reasons nature's output is considered so highly especially if the conditions are right...
BUT, and this is all just speculation anyway, I do think there is terrain closer into DC that would support a full up skier/boarder area. For example, let's take Sugerloaf, in reality it is privately held, but in theory a small ski resort could be built there, using a warm weather snow system, and this would be south of Frederick, not 10-20 miles North of Hagarstown. That would bring skiing in closer for example. I am not suggesting that is an ideal mountain, that's just an example. In general think the blue ridge mountain ridgeline is pretty dang close to DC, passing in closest perhaps at Harper's Ferry area, so there might be lots of places...

Which means, of course, that I have to drag out an old URL from an April Fool's Day experiment I performed several years ago:
http://www.dcski.com/news/2001/04_01_2001/newresort.php
I think this is the only article I've written for DCSki that wasn't quite rooted in fact. Enjoy.
Just to be clear, this article is a work of fiction. Please don't start any rumors over this one. 
- Scott

