16 posts
12 users
4k+ views
SkiBoarder
November 16, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
Have you all seen this.

Hidden Valley Unlimited Season Passholders will each receive one (1) complimentary full day lift ticket and a 50% discount on regularly priced lift tickets for any additional visit to either Seven Springs Mountain Resort or Wisp Resort, excluding Saturdays and holiday periods.

Wow, never expected this.
Leo
November 16, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Where did you pull that info? HV website?

That would be great, from my perspective, but not really what you would expect from competitors.
SkiBoarder
November 16, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
From an HV email
Edgar3
November 16, 2009
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
That's great news!

Have always thought that these resorts would do better to combine resources at some level to promote more/longer ski visits to the area and grow the market, rather than be so focused on competing for their slice of it. This seems to be a reasonable initial way to do it.

IMO they would benefit from going even further by making multi-day passes interchangable as well, at least for non holiday weekdays. Weekdays are generally dead, and if they could entice guests to stay longer due to more terrain options everyone wins.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Taylormatt
November 16, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
It's not just HV pass holders, it works for Wisp and 7S pass holders as well at all 3 resorts.

HV did this last year with Wisp. Rumor is, Nutting is part of an investment group that has bought Wisp. 7S is supposedly operating Wisp this year, hence joining in the partnership project that already existed with HV and Wisp.

It's gonna be interesting, to say the least.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Now, more importantly, was it the recently passed owner of Wisp that also bought the rights to what was Tory Mt. in WV? If so, maybe we can dream of some real excitment!!
The Colonel smile
rbrtlav
November 17, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Just out of curiosity, has anybody seen any news article or details on the change of ownership of Wisp? Just curious as to what this might mean for Wisp.
kwillg6
November 17, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
There you go Colonel, getting my hope up about Tory. You have no idea how every time I drive past it I think of skiing it. grin
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
If this is true and Laurel Mt (LM) gets going again and Tory Mt. gets going that is 4 mountains on one season pass.
hockeydave
November 18, 2009
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
If Laurel reopens (still not a certainty) and this season ticket deal is still engaged, you have 3 ski areas within 14 miles as the crow flies. (Its only 2 miles from 7S to HV). If Fire Tower Road were upgraded along with Hickory Flats Road, all 3 resorts would be accessible within a 30 minute ride (5 minutes between 7S & HV). Just a fantasy.
GGNagy
November 18, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I think counting on the new ownership group to do anything with Tory Mt is a bit far fetched. What will be interesting is if the Wisp purchase brings the resorts close enough together that we end up with a true Wisp/7s/LM season pass. This agreement is a step in the right direction for those with passes now.

All we need now is for Mystic Mt to join, and you could buy a season pass there for 99$, never ski there, and have it pay off in skiing at the other areas. smile
KeithT
November 18, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
To me this is a dream versus fantasy, if there is a meaningful distinction--Laurel does exist and just needs money and effort. To me the real fantasy is Canaan Valley with TL, CV, WG, AH/MPC and Tory all in a 10 mile or so line.
Edgar3
November 18, 2009
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
Yes, upgrading of Fire Tower and Hickory Flats Rd would be one of the better things that could be done to enhance the region as an integrated destination.

Have often wondered why it hasn't happened thus far, especially on Fire Tower Rd. Is there an issue with the State Parkland?
Considering that we now have 2 resort owners who are politically capable, one would think that they would push for it to happen. Is it because they see no reason for "their" visitors to go to the other resort?
Leo
November 18, 2009
356 posts
Rather than wait for an upgrade of Fire Tower Rd, just use Jones Mill Rd. It's in much better shape and only about 1-2 minutes further out of the way.

I do see Hickory Flats Rd as a bit of an issue for LM. If you are coming from points further north, such as Ligonier or Latrobe, then heading up Rt 30 to the summit is convenient. However, if you are coming from 7S, it really is somewhat inconvenient to cut over on 381 and come up through Linn Run. Although I do think they have finished or are close to finishing repaving that road, which helps some.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
You would still have to go all the way to RT. 30 on 381 in winter because Linn Run RD. is only plowed to the park office and Laurel Summit Rd. is kept passable from Rt. 30 to the cross country center just passed the Laurel Mountain access road.

Paving and plowing Hickory Flats Rd and Laurel Summit Rd. would make Laurel much more accessible not only from S7 and HV but from the PA Turnpike at Donegal as well. That wouldn't be too much help for the DC area crowd but would be great for Pittsburgh area and points west.
Leo
November 18, 2009
356 posts
Ah -- I am there so much more in the summer I never really thought of the fact that the road up through Linn Run isn't usually passable in the winter unless you have something pretty off road capable. I used to take my Wrangler up that road in the winter, though there were times when it was so icy that nothing would have worked.

381 clean out to 30 and then up to the Summit is certainly not convenient. Though it is a beautiful drive.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?