Major PA Winter Sports Areas, 1950
6 posts
3 users
4k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2010
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
A January 1, 1950 Pittsburgh Press article reports that 'major winter sports area' in PA would begin reporting conditions for the weekend to the Harrisburg office of the U.S. Weather Bureau. The areas listed are:

Ski Run Lodge, Canadensis; Split Rock Lodge, Mountainhome; Seven Springs Farm, Champion; Mt. Summit, Uniontown; Merry Hill Lodge, Cresco; The Campus, Bushkill; Tyoga Country Club, Wellsboro; Pocono Manor Inn, Pocono Manor; Skytop Lodge, Skytop; Big Pocono, Tannersville; Laurel Mountain Slopes, Ligioner; Poemont Lodge, Bushkill; Montrose Inn, Montrose; Bradford Recreation Area, Bradford; Top Notch of the Poconos, Tobyhanna; Bald Top Ski Area, State College and Boalsburg; Harvey's Lake Hotel, Harvey's Lake; Sky Line Inn, Mt. Pocono; The Inn at Buck Hill Falls, Buck Hill Falls; Cook Forest State Park, Cooksburg; Strickland's Mountain Inn, Mt. Pocono; Delaware Water Gap Hotel, Delaware Water Gap.

I haven't cross referenced this list to Scott's Lost Ski Area list but there seems to be a few not listed yet.
KeithT
June 9, 2010
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
HERE IS A QUICK CROSS REF.

Split Rock Lodge, Mountainhome; ON WEBSITE

Seven Springs Farm, Champion; 7S

Mt. Summit, Uniontown; PRESUMABLY SUMMIT INN ON WEBSITE

Pocono Manor Inn, Pocono Manor; ON WEBSITE

Skytop Lodge, Skytop; NOT ON WEBSITE STILL OPERATING?????

Big Pocono, Tannersville; ON WEBSITE

Montrose Inn, Montrose; MONTROSE SKI BOWL????

Inn at Buck Hill Falls, Buck Hill Falls; ON WEBSITE

Bald Top Ski Area, State College and Boalsburg; PROBABLY TUSSEY MOUNTAIN 1 MILE ON TOPO IS BALD KNOB

Bradford Recreation Area, Bradford; ZIPPO SKI SLOPE??????

Strickland's Mountain Inn, Mt. Pocono; SISTER RESORT TO MOUNT AIRY LODGE?????

Laurel Mountain Slopes, Ligioner; CONTINUING SAGA FOR LHC

Ski Run Lodge, Canadensis;

Merry Hill Lodge, Cresco;

The Campus, Bushkill;

Tyoga Country Club, Wellsboro;

Poemont Lodge, Bushkill;

Top Notch of the Poconos, Tobyhanna;

Harvey's Lake Hotel, Harvey's Lake;

Sky Line Inn, Mt. Pocono;

Cook Forest State Park, Cooksburg;

Delaware Water Gap Hotel, Delaware Water Gap.

THE REST OF THESE LOOK LIKE COUNTRY CLUB--HOTEL OPERATIONS
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
June 10, 2010
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Thanks for the work, Keith Your hunch about the rest of those not listed is probably correct. I would think that by 1950 those areas would at least have a rope tow. Modern alpine skiing really started when mountain hotels in the Alps began hiring ski instructors to offer winter recreation to lure visitors in the winter. The first such places had no lifts. In fact, I learned the basics of skiing from my mother, a German war bride.

Before we ever went to a 'ski resort' I learned on the hill at the local golf course. What she taught me came right out of Hannes Schneider's play book. First learn to snow plow, weight one ski then the other to make turns and progress to the christie where you start the turn in a stem then close the stem to bring the skis parallel. Side step or herringbone back to the top and repeat.
GGNagy
June 14, 2010
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Woody had paid a visit to Skytop a few years ago. Private resort now.
http://www.skytop.com/

Delaware Water Gap would probably be Wolf Hollow, on lost site.

The rest will need some more research.
GGNagy
June 14, 2010
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Buck Hill Falls,PA is right next door to Canadensis, PA. Can be found on the lost PA site. I was originally thinking Alpine MT, but that is down the road.
GGNagy
June 14, 2010
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
ok.. I just got a headache. It seems that half of those places are right on top of one another AND on top of 2 or three OTHER known active or closed ski areas. I am beginning to suspect some duplicates.

Just to tadd to the mix, the 69 Atlas shows Timber Hill in Swiftwater, PA. That would be right in between Cresco and Henreyville. Oh look. the village atop Alpine Mt is called Timber Hill. I think I need some Excedrin.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.