Canaan Backcountry
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Gill
February 3, 2000
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
I've heard that the backcountry is open at Canaan. I'm headed there this weekend and don't mind hiking for my turns. Has anybody skied the backcountry there? If so, how was the terrain? All intermediate or are there some steeps? Also, how do I get to it?
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 5, 2000
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi Gill!

I received a press release from Canaan Valley on February 1 stating that 30 kilometers of marked trails are open, thanks to an abundance of natural snowfall. There's a Nordic Center located within the resort, and a trail that connects Canaan Valley Resort with Blackwater Falls State Park. You can get more info by contacting John Northeimer at (800) 622-4121.

Hope that helps.

Gill
February 7, 2000
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
Thanks Scott, but actually I was interested in the backcountry Alpine terrain at Canaan (hey, I made a rhyme). Seriously though, I talked with some folks while there this past weekend and they said that the terrain is good, but not hike-able. The best method is to take two vehicles around the base of themountain (take the turn befor the Canaan turn off when coming from Davis). Just follow the signs towards White Grass. Then park one car at the run out. From the top of Canaan mountain lifts follow the trails (I think towards Bald Knob). You can ski down to your car and drive back up to the resort. It's a pain in teh butt, but if you want a backcountry experience, it's the best way.

I didn't get to try it this weekend as the backcountry access was closed. ;-(

Redman
February 23, 2000
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
www.whitegrass.com will set you free!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?