Final Week (?): Get it while you can!
28 posts
15 users
4k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Whatever the weather this is the final official week of operations for the mid-Atlantic ski areas.  I suppose one or more might decide to reopen for a day or weekend in April just for bragging rights.  It truly has been a Slope lovers March with many areas receiving snowfalls this month measured in feet, not inches, led by Snowshoe with over seven feet of March snow.  Conditions next weekend should remain epic (or is that IKONic?) through April 1.  Bryce even made snow on Saturday according to the caption I saw on a posted picture.  Who would have guessed these amazing conditions just four weeks ago during spring In February  Certainly not the ski areas in Canaan Valley!  And next year Snowshoe should be able to replicate this year’s March conditions given the $4,000,000 expansion and automation of their massive snowmaking operation. Get out and enjoy final runs this week, just call ahead because some resorts closing today, and others closing mid-week!

a biproduct of the awesome March conditions has been increased postings on DCSki, and many new DCSki members!!!

Happy Spring to all my DCSki friends!  I am already looking forward to next season, and even more so after relatively minor surgery on my bummed right knee next week!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

wgo
March 25, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Colonel,

I hope your knee surgery goes well. Hope you were able to get out and enjoy the slopes this season.

OrangePeels
March 25, 2018
Member since 03/21/2018 🔗
16 posts

As one of those new members, I'd just like to say thank you to DCSki and it's members. Even lurking here has been very informative for me and make this season that much more awesome.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Good luck with the surgery. I hope we can ski together next season.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
imp - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

going to Hidden Valley, for last runs.

Good Luck with the surgery  Next year on wildcat!!

jimmy
March 26, 2018 (edited March 26, 2018)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

We had really nice day Saturday at Seven Springs. Blue skies, not too cold, not too warm big crowd but lift lines were not bad. They held the annual pond skim outside the Foggy Goggle and there was a very large number of skimmers. Two things we found remarkable were the lodge/Foggy Goggle was packed, SRO, all day with people eating, drinking, listeneing to music, watching the festivities and SPENDING MONEY and second at least half of them were in street shoes, not ski boots. I'd love to post some pictures but can't post/host them here. 

so much for the everyone quit skiing because it is March argument. Promote it and they will come. Thanks for a great fun filled day on snow.

wgo
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

700 skiers at whitegrass this weekend, per their website. The interest is there, the resorts just need to capitalize on it.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

jimmy wrote:

so much for the everyone quit skiing because it is March argument. Promote it and they will come. 

Ballhooter Lift Line Sunday Mar 25, 2018 11 AM.  40 trails open including Shays top to bottom.  Rode the lifts with folks from TN, KY, SC, NC and of course NOVA.  I heard SS had 300 checkins on Sat.  Bonzski told me he saw 4 charter buses at Top of the World.  

Honestly, weatherwise it was one of the best 3 days I ever had at SS.

Bonzski
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Twas a great day indeed.  Was able to access Knotbumper glades just below the closed entrance and found it still very nice.  Too bad SS will be closing 1 April but I heard it's a rigid date because they have numerous cap improvement projects needing to get underway and can't afford to give up time to access terrain etc.

Saturday's pass-holder's appreciation event at Hoots was a fun deal....$1 beer and free grub with music, give-aways, skiing past closing time.

SCWVA
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

jimmy wrote:

so much for the everyone quit skiing because it is March argument. Promote it and they will come.

I heard SS had 300 checkins on Sat.  Bonzski told me he saw 4 charter buses at Top of the World.  

Honestly, weatherwise it was one of the best 3 days I ever had at SS.

Jimmy - Yes, people do ski in March.  Took the youngest ones to the Shoe and had a blast.

Blue Don - SS could have had a few more late check ins if their Central Reservations office didn't close at 4:30pm.

Lots of people and there were charter buses in the TOW parking lot.  I think Upper Flume is one of the scariest trails I've ever been on.

The weather was great and Sawmill was a lot of fun..

1,580 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Blue Don - SS could have had a few more late check ins if their Central Reservations office didn't close at 4:30pm.

If you don't mind an older bldg in a great location with some nicer rooms - stick with us private guys at Mtn Lodge.  We're making it easier to see what's available and exactly WHICH condo you are reserving.  

65 units to choose from - we'll leave the lights on for ya SC !

SCWVA
March 27, 2018 (edited March 27, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

If you don't mind an older bldg in a great location with some nicer rooms - stick with us private guys at Mtn Lodge.  We're making it easier to see what's available and exactly WHICH condo you are reserving. 

65 units to choose from - we'll leave the lights on for ya SC !

I've stayed in Mtn. Lodge more times than I can remember and before it became an upscale gated community.  Almost bought a 2br near the indoor playground back in 2000.    Decided to go to SS at the last minute.  It took a awhile, but I was able to track down the direct DD # for the Inn at Snowshoe.

We had a great time, lots of changes from the last time I was there.

lkillick
March 27, 2018
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

Was very happy at Mtn Lodge... except taking Ballhooter back to my room. :) 

David
March 27, 2018
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Twas a great day indeed.  Was able to access Knotbumper glades just below the closed entrance and found it still very nice.  Too bad SS will be closing 1 April but I heard it's a rigid date because they have numerous cap improvement projects needing to get underway and can't afford to give up time to access terrain etc.

Saturday's pass-holder's appreciation event at Hoots was a fun deal....$1 beer and free grub with music, give-aways, skiing past closing time.

Per their Facebook today they're doing 4M worth or upgrades to snowmaking, at least...

lkillick
March 27, 2018
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

Was told by an instructor that the April 1st firm date is due to their electrical contract, as the lifts use a lot of electricity, etc. Who knows.

jimmy
April 4, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Seven Springs open Saturday, Sunday

April 4, 2018
2,038 posts

Thinking about Saturday at the Springs.

jimmy
April 4, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Reisen
April 4, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Somebody just said 8-12" of snow this weekend?

April 4, 2018
1,580 posts

That blowhard Met on Facebook posted this.  

woolly
April 5, 2018
Member since 03/28/2018 🔗
5 posts

what are conditions at 7 springs going to be like this weekend? I know they got some snow on monday and will be cold on the weekend but how will this weeks changing conditions affect the slopes?

ParkCrewDrew
April 5, 2018
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

I would expect 7springs to be running the Polar bear, avalanche, and blitzen lift.   North face lift, wagner lift, and tyrol are questionable.  Will probally be fun with the fresh snow.   I am planning on being down sunday. 

camp
April 6, 2018
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

ParkCrewDrew wrote:

... North face lift, wagner lift, and tyrol are questionable.  Will probally be fun with the fresh snow.   I am planning on being down sunday. 

So, ya think nothing running on North side at all?

April 6, 2018
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

I will know today. If not Saturday then maybe Sunday. All depends on if my daughter can find the time to try her new skis. If so, then Saturday. 

jimmy
April 6, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

jimmy wrote:

I will know today. If not Saturday then maybe Sunday. All depends on if my daughter can find the time to try her new skis. If so, then Saturday. 

jimmy
April 6, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

jimmy wrote:

Ok I think i can do either day

April 6, 2018
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

jimmy wrote:

Sunday for Kathy and I.

jimmy
April 6, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

jimmy wrote:

jimmy wrote:

Sunday for Kathy and I.

Ok let’s see

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.