Snowshoe 3/31 meetup thread
12 posts
8 users
2k+ views
wgo
March 26, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Wanted to start a separate thread for anyone interested in meeting up at Snowshoe this coming Saturday. My son and I are planning to drive up as a day trip and could meet up around 10 AM if anyone is interested.

eggraid
March 26, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Unfortunately we are planning to leave Friday.

OrangePeels
March 26, 2018
Member since 03/21/2018 🔗
16 posts

I'd love to meet someone at SS. I'm relatively new to DC skiing, never been to SS, and none of my friends around here ski.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2018 (edited March 26, 2018)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Welcome to DCSki OrangePeels,

You will need to tell us a little about yourself to gain max advantage from DCSki.  Things like how you slide: skier or boarder;  approx age and years sliding; approx. area you live in; it’s probably a bit late to meet someone at Snowshoe, but the more we know about you, the better we can help.  And for sure repeat all your info again at the beginning of next season.  What local areas have you skied, which slopes?

Again, Welcome to DCSki,

MorganB

aka The Colonel

padjaski68
March 26, 2018
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
I will be up there for the weekend. First time skiing there. I'm looking forward to the experiencing SS.
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'll be there this weekend with some friends / neighbors / first timers.  Planning to ski Fri + Sat.  Not sure exactly where or when since we have a mixed group of skiers.

All of this is weather permitting.  If it's raining, I'll be trout fishing at Elk Spring Resort.

OrangePeels
March 27, 2018
Member since 03/21/2018 🔗
16 posts

Thanks for the welcome, Morgan. The meetup was in response to wgo's suggesting in the OP, but I'm more than happy to tell you a little about myself.

I'm a skier currently in Arlington. Tried snowboarding once, and decided that I should get better at skiing instead of falling over ever 15 seconds :) It's only my second season back skiing after taking a long break. Around here, I've only skied Whitetail and Liberty so far. Prior to that, most of my experience was in Tahoe. Looking forward to engaging with the DCSki community a ton next season!

dc2snowshoe
March 28, 2018
Member since 02/20/2018 🔗
4 posts

I have 1 day left on my 3forAll pass, if anyone wants it, for $25. Let me know!

fishnski
March 28, 2018
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I'll be there this weekend with some friends / neighbors / first timers.  Planning to ski Fri + Sat.  Not sure exactly where or when since we have a mixed group of skiers.

All of this is weather permitting.  If it's raining, I'll be trout fishing at Elk Spring Resort.

Ive been watching this weekends weather for the shoe and its looking like the Rain/Snow timing will be good...rain to snow friday...that ends then rain saturday eve changing to snow in time for skiing sunday..Its looked that way on the GFS anyway for the last few days...Hope it works out perfectly for uall...meantime I just ate my last fish tacos the other day...time to head back out...but those dang march winds!...

eggraid
March 28, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

It's been a rainy two days out here at Snowshoe; today was warmer than yesterday, so a little more damage was done to the base. We got out for 2-3 hours each day in between the (light) rain, and came back in soaked, but still had a blast. The warm temps, middle of the week and the rain meant we had the trails more or less to ourselves. My kids got a kick out of getting into a tuck going down hootenanny, and then skiing 'up' upper flume (Soaring Eagle lift was closed at the time) - there was a contest to see who could go the furthest uphill. They also enjoyed not having to check speed as much going down Grab Hammer trail to get around other skiers, there was no one to avoid.

It looks like tomorrow will be very warm (50's) and cloudy, but not rainy. Then a chance of snow on Friday, and Sunday, it should be good conditions if the precip turns from light rain to snow, it should bond nicely to the surface of existing snow. We stuck to the basin, but no trail closures yet; we will see what tomorrow brings. 

Pics from Sat/Sun:

Looking waaaaaayyyy down to the pond skim at the bottom of lower ballhooter:

They let Sawmill bump up nicely, my son is just going over the crest here:

No pics from today, but I was very proud of my 9-year-old daughter for giving snowboarding a try. We did a few laps on skidder and then she tackled Heisler way to take Ballhooter back up, soaking wet from rain and sweat (snowboarding is a lot of work getting up off the ground your first couple days). At one point she was laying on the snow, crying, tear coming down her cheeks, screaming, "DAD! I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!! I CAN'T EVEN BREATHE!!!!" She can be a little dramatic; she was patting herself on the back for making it down the trail 60 seconds after that episode. 

padjaski68
March 29, 2018
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
Ah the weekend is almost here. Strangely I am extremely excited to ski the 'shoe for the first. With a freeze up for Friday night. Saturday hopefully will start out nicely before giving away to the corn snow. A fitting way to end the season with sunshine and plenty of snow. If any is interested in meeting to take a couple of runs or more. Gameplan to is to start off of Ballhooter before venturing across the mountain. If your interested let me know.
wgo
March 30, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Life stuff is popping up so I may not make it out to SS this weekend. Still hoping it works out.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.