2018-2019 Mountains of Distinction List
8 posts
4 users
6k+ views
superguy
June 22, 2018 (edited June 22, 2018)
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Not updated on any of SnowTime's resorts page, but digging around I found the 2018-2019 list on Windham's website.

http://www.windhammountain.com/tickets-passes/season-passes/winter-2/

• ”“ Bristol Mountain, Canandaigua, NY 14424
  • ”“ Crystal Mountain, Thompsonville, MI 49683
  • ”“ Hidden Valley Ski Resort, Hidden Valley, PA 15502
  • ”“ Holiday Valley, Ellicottville, NY 14731
  • ”“ Jay Peak Resort, Jay, VT 05859
  • ”“ Jiminy Peak, Handcock, MA 01237
  • ”“ Liberty Mountain Resort, Carroll Valley, PA 17320
  • ”“ Mt. Sunapee Resort, Newbury, NH 03255
  • ”“ Roundtop, Lewisberry, PA 17339
  • ”“ Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Seven Springs, PA 15622
  • ”“ Shawnee Peak, Bridgton, ME 04009
  • ”“ Wachusett Ski Area, Princeton, MA 01541
  • ”“ Whitetail Mountain Resort, Mercersburg, PA 17236
  • ”“ Wintergreen Resort, Wintergreen, VA 22958

And of course, Windham.

Interestingly enough, Laurel Mountain was not included on the list.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 22, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Good find!

I wonder if Sunapee will actually end up in the Mountains of Distinction, assuming the sale of Triple Peaks to Vail Resorts goes thru in 2018.

rbrtlav
June 22, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

It’s interesting that wintergreen is there, but Wisp and Ragged in New Hampshire are not. I think they are the same ownership.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 22, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The list has never really be based on ownership.  Sunapee is operated by the same company as Okemo, but is quite different in terms of market.  Sunapee is actually quite crowded on weekends from what I hear.

Crystal in MI doesn't quite seem to fit.  I don't see people traveling from the Mid-Atlantic or New England to ski in the midwest.  Or vice-versa.  From Michigan, makes more sense to fly west.  But if someone is visiting family and already has a season pass on the list then perhaps can entice the entire clan to head to the slopes.

superguy
June 23, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Some mountains make their own partnerships on the side as well. 7S and Wisp have some reciprocity that grants each other's passholders a couple free days. And of course, SnowTime's deal with Okemo. I'm hoping to get Bristol over the holidays. My ex lives up there and I gotta take my son up for a visit. Sounds like a good time to get away for a couple days. :) Anyone ever try there?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 23, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I’ve skied Bristol many times.  One sister, non-skier, lives in Rochester and I have skied it with my brother in law.  It’s 1200 vertical, the biggest in western NY.  It tends to be icy; sharp edges are a must.  Interestingly it isn’t a mountain, it’s a drumlin with no rock backbone, a pile of dirt scraped together by glaciers in the last ice age.  They were more than a mile thick in that area.  They also created the finger lakes.  If on a trip there you must see nearby canandaigua lake, and visit a winery or 3.  It’s gorgeous.  

superguy
June 23, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Interesting. I remembered seeing it as a kid when I was camping in a park just up from it. I remember it being windy on top in the summer. Is it windy there as well?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 23, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

superguy wrote:

Interesting. I remembered seeing it as a kid when I was camping in a park just up from it. I remember it being windy on top in the summer. Is it windy there as well?

High places are windy, but I don’t remember it being unusually so.  While it can get very cold, it’s also afflicted by the bane of east coast skiing, freeze, thaw, freeze cycles.  The real gem of western NY IMHO is snow ridge on the tug hill plateau.  It’s only 500 vertical, but quite steep and gets prodigious dumps of lake effect powder off of Lake Ontario.  It’s cheap and virtually unknown except to locals.  Lots of families, kids programs and jr. Racing.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.