Propects for Ski Areas' Recovery from the Late February R@!n ?
33 posts
18 users
6k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Well.  We had nearly two months of good skiing weather (hurray!) until last week.  Now what?

As of Monday morning, March 1, there's another 12 or so hours of this warm, rainy weather on the way, and then the Mid-Atlantic region should return to seasonal temperatures.  Daytime highs in the coming week should be above freezing with overnight lows below freezing - at least in the mountains.  No prospects for significant snowfall this week, so far.

How well do you think our region's ski areas will recover from our February 2021 thaw?  What do you think the prospects are for ski conditions here in the next several weeks?  Among the factors I'm figuring will affect March-April skiing in our region are these:

• Ski areas that cranked out more snow should still have a good base remaining.  At those resorts that didn't make as much snow, the trail counts will drop, I expect.
  • While all ski areas in the Mid-A appear to have received natural snowfall amounts (so far) that are at or above average, areas west of the Allegheny Front received the heaviest natural snowfalls, as usual.  Their seasons are likely to be the longest.  Can any natural-snow-only trails remain open?
  • At some point, area managers will decide that the benefits of remaining open are less than the costs of operating.  When will that occur?  Any more snowmaking expected?
  • How do you think this COVID-shaped season will affect the choice of closing dates?

Still thinking skiing and snow!

Woody

wgo
March 1, 2021 (edited March 1, 2021)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

The snowpack in the trees in Canaan Valley is down to 10 inches (from a high of 24 inches on February 24). This is from Dave Lesher's site. I think we may be done with (lift-served) glade skiing there for the season, unless we get a major snowstorm.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Massanutten mentioned snowmaking weather returning later in the week.  I fully expect their snow guns to be back in action before the weekend.  Announced Closing Day is March 21.  I'm pretty sure Mnut will go longer if at all possible.

Don't think any decision about when to close at Mnut has much to do with the pandemic.  It's been all about Mother Nature providing cold temperatures for snowmaking ever since they figured out a way to have essentially unlimited water.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2021
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

The snowpack in the trees in Canaan Valley is down to 10 inches (from a high of 24 inches on February 24). This is from Dave Lesher's site. I think we may be done with (lift-served) glade skiing there for the season, unless we get a major snowstorm.

How packed down is the snow in the trees at CV?  I didn't have time to venture into them last week.  Ten inches can be plenty.  Wasn't that much at Timberline back in January and it was still good fun.

At Mnut, the snow in the trees lasted longer than usual because it became pretty well skier packed.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jn_freedman
March 1, 2021
Member since 03/17/2018 🔗
24 posts

I asked at Whitetail yesterday and the consensus was 3/21.  They had tons of snow there yesterday, just no people.  Understandable due to the weather.  Based on what I saw, 3/21 feels right to me.

Keith_Moon
March 1, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
Anyone know whether they will blow at Snowshoe again as it gets colder tonight?
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2021
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Our gang is heading down this weekend and we are glued to that Shaver Webcam to see.

Keith_Moon wrote:

HVdad
March 1, 2021
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts
Moderate snowfall currently at Hidden Valley PA (7:00P - 3/21); snowmakers on as well. 
Keith_Moon
March 1, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Same here.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Our gang is heading down this weekend and we are glued to that Shaver Webcam to see.

Keith_Moon wrote:

dclivejazz
March 1, 2021
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts
Whitetail is making snow tonight, Monday 3/1.
wgo
March 2, 2021 (edited March 2, 2021)
1,666 posts

The more popular routes thru the trees were pretty packed down in mid-Feb. I would still personally be hesitant about taking some of the sportier lines. But this is just a guess on my part - I have not been there since mid-Feb.

marzNC wrote:

wgo wrote:

How packed down is the snow in the trees at CV?  I didn't have time to venture into them last week.  Ten inches can be plenty.  Wasn't that much at Timberline back in January and it was still good fun.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2021 (edited March 2, 2021)
3,246 posts

Massanutten cranked up the snow guns last night.  Planned to run some as long as possible this morning.  It was 29 degrees at 9am.

Snow Conditions March 2 8am

Snowmaking is in progress this morning, sunny with highs in the lower 40s. Pacesetter Park will be closed today for park rebuild. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2021
3,246 posts

Wintergreen is also planning on snowmaking when temps are cold enough this week.

Monday, March 01, 2021

Hello March!

To start March off we are doing to be dealing with a little bit of underdeveloped snow this morning. We are looking forward to a great week of skiing and riding. The lows at night will allow us to make some snow and to freshen up the slopes each day. 

Argent - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2021
Member since 12/20/2018 🔗
19 posts
Was at Wintergreen yesterday. I expected it to be a lot worse than it actually was after all the rain and warm weather. Only a few runs started to show dirt. 
mdr227
March 2, 2021
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Was at Whitetail today with the covid restrictions finally lifted and was expecting early icy conditions (until they thawed out as it warmed up) with the weekend rain and drop in temps last night, but was pleasantly surprised to see them blowing snow when I woke up this morning to freshen up the trails.   Had the guns off by 7 AM or so.   Really great conditions considering what transpired over the weekend.   All trails open, though as others have said not as wide coverage as in year past, but definitely looks to me like they can get a couple of solid weeks of skiing out of the existing base.   Big question will be skier interest would be my guess for this year.    Looks like there could be some really nice Spring skiing between now and Sunday, but next week will get into the 60s so that may end up being the last week for some places.
Reisen
March 2, 2021
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
We’re headed to Snowshoe this weekend to get one more trip in. Planning on skiing Friday through Monday morning. Hopefully, it will be good before it warms up!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

1614796049_ahrfmovdsjvd.jpgLaurel Mountain is skiing well. Laurel Run and Snow Bowl just softened up and will improve this afternoon. Barring a nice March storm the natural will be gone soon. Machine made should hold on until mid March.

kwillg6
March 3, 2021
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Timberline will be good for a while, meaning this week and weekend.  Next week shows a good warm up with temps here in the upper 50s.  That'll bring out there corn but the base will slowly go away.  Check the WG reports where up to 20" are still on the ridges. We will have snow to ski thru the end of the month baring 60s and 70s.    Still waiting on that usual March dump of pow to enhance our skiing and improve our lives.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

A friend and I had a delightful time at  Blue Knob today, Wednesday, March 3.  Despite the rains that closed out last week and the freeze-thaw cycles on Monday and Tuesday,  BK had done a great job grooming their trails overnight.  The snow softened but didn’t get schloppy.  Deer Run was closed, but Stembogen was open and skied well, esp. Stembogen Field at the end.  At least one of the glades opened after lunch.

Social distancing measures were in place - down to having every other urninal taped off.  😃 All staff members I saw were wore masks, and all were upbeat and helpful.

Well done, Blue Knob!

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 5, 2021
3,246 posts

Massanutten had snowmaking temps all night last night.  Got down to 20 degrees!  Snowguns still on at 8:30am on Southern Comfort.  :-)

Going to be a good first weekend of March.  It's the last weekend with regular season rates. 

wgo
March 5, 2021 (edited March 5, 2021)
1,666 posts
Planning on being there this Sunday. I do not yet see anything about any weekend sessions being sold old - knock on wood this continues to be the case. We are passholders so we do not need to make reservations, but it will be interesting to see what crowds will be like as we move into March.
mdr227
March 5, 2021
193 posts
This first weekend of March should be pretty good skiing at all the local resorts, Monday for at least part of the day until it warms up.  Beyond that looks like it is going to be a tough week next week after Monday for good skiing conditions unless you like skiing in 50-70 degree temps (I don't).  
snapdragon
March 5, 2021
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
After what seemed like 3 straight months of snow and cold, the inevitable Feb rain/thaw/freeze cycle kicked in and for the last week and a half the surface conditions have been pretty firm.  Best racing conditions of the year though...go gate chasers!  Starting this Monday the corn season will commence until the cold and snow returns...get on it...YewBoard.com!
HVdad
March 5, 2021
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts

Hidden Valley... 3/5/21. Snow pack is still above the stairs leading to the slopes.

1614988939_swxshiqzbaqz.jpg

mdr227
March 8, 2021
193 posts
Had one final day at Whitetail this morning (only two this year once covid restrictions were lifted last Monday).   Really great conditions this morning (probably softening up a lot now, but skied for 3 hours and left by noon) and great weather.   100% open with lots of good coverage.    Strong crowd there too, lots of kids skipping school it looked like.   Not sure how things will hold up the rest of the week with such warm temps ahead (conditions plus skier interest) and beyond as temps don't look to be much colder than mid-30s at night and around 45-55 during the day next week.    I know for me the season is over and imagine for many others it is that way too.  
wgo
March 8, 2021
1,666 posts
Similar situation at Massanutten on Sunday. I am still keeping and eye on things and will keep going as long as coverage is good. Several 70 degree days coming up this week in Charlottesville, though.
Crush
March 9, 2021
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

wgo wrote:

Similar situation at Massanutten on Sunday. I am still keeping and eye on things and will keep going as long as coverage is good. Several 70 degree days coming up this week in Charlottesville, though.

Put the skis/boards away - time to work out,  so you can fit into that banana hammock and work on a tan come May?

wgo
March 9, 2021
1,666 posts

Haha paddleboarding season will be here soon enough.

Crush wrote:

wgo wrote:

Put the skis/boards away - time to work out,  so you can fit into that banana hammock and work on a tan come May?

wojo
March 9, 2021
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

wgo wrote:

Hit the Nut today at 9, snow was soft loose granular, around 11 it started getting very heavy and grabby in sections.  Its spring skiing so thats what you get.  Had a great time.  If its my last day of the year . . . so be it!  Great time at the NUT.  

wgo
March 13, 2021
1,666 posts
Massanutten was very good today (Sat, 3/13). Mid 50's, snow soft but not slushy, spring bumps were so much fun. Just a perfect day of spring skiing. 
Mongo
March 14, 2021
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts
Anyone at Snowshoe?
BackInDC
March 19, 2021
Member since 03/18/2021 🔗
11 posts

Mongo wrote:

Anyone at Snowshoe?

Was at snowshoe last week. After a week with DC temps reaching the 70's, the entire mountain was open all weekend (except the glades sadly). Some really nice Spring conditions to be found. With colder temps this week I'd expect that the entire mountain to remain open for a while

wojo
March 20, 2021
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Had one final day at Whitetail this morning (only two this year once covid restrictions were lifted last Monday).   Really great conditions this morning (probably softening up a lot now, but skied for 3 hours and left by noon) and great weather.   100% open with lots of good coverage.    Strong crowd there too, lots of kids skipping school it looked like.   Not sure how things will hold up the rest of the week with such warm temps ahead (conditions plus skier interest) and beyond as temps don't look to be much colder than mid-30s at night and around 45-55 during the day next week.    I know for me the season is over and imagine for many others it is that way too.  

I am sure if was very hard to type the words "Had one final day."  I have a snowman I hang on my door at work before Halloween and I take him down when I realize my season is over.  I plan to take him off the door knob on Monday morning.  :-(

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?