Closing News and rumors
25 posts
19 users
6k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
It is that time of year when Mid-Atlantic Ski Areas Begin To close for the season, or for mid-week?  What have you heard?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Massanutten announced a while back that they planned to be open 7 days a week until March 21.  Night skiing ends tonight, March 6.  Late season rates start next week.  I expect the slopes to be open longer given how deep the base is on the core trails and on the upper mountain.  They plan to run the snow guns as much as possible when the temps are cold enough in the next few days.

Tickets of all types sold out for Sat, March 6.  Looks very nice on the webcams today, with temps only in the 40s.

HVdad
March 6, 2021
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts
Laurel Mountain will be wrapping it up next weekend, even though they have more snow than our crazy neighbors to the south!
March 6, 2021 (edited March 6, 2021)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
They told me at Canaan valley Lodge that next weekend March 14 would end their ski season! But they hoped to keep the tubing going until the end of March.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
imp - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Laurel will be closed this week and reopen 13th and 14th to end the season, lots of snow left few skiers
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021 (edited March 7, 2021)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

If you are willing to climb keep your eye on the weather for the Allegheny front and Laurel Highlands.  There will almost certainly be a >/= 6” powder day between mid March and mid April.  Did it many times.

If it looks promising 36 hrs. before, tell the folks at work that you need a ‘mental health day’ and head out the night before and hit it early.  It may be sticky glop by noon.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Actually, I was there on Saturday, 03/06. There was a decent crowd. Skied HV today, the place was packed. Conditions were good and similar at both resorts - groomed frozen granular .   

imp wrote:

Laurel will be closed this week and reopen 13th and 14th to end the season, lots of snow left few skiers
Leo
March 9, 2021
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
HV announced their hours, which is to say after this weekend very limited.  That's par for the course with Nutting.  I get it, especially if he honors LM and HV season passes at 7S once those two resorts go to basically closed for all intents and purposes.  Which I think he's done in past years, unless my memory is failing me.
kwillg6
March 9, 2021
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Timberline Mountain is rumored on being open daily until March 22 and then on thurs-sun thru Easter if the weather holds and folks keep coming. The snow there is fantastic as is the grooming.  It's refreshing to have a mountain open into April.   
MarkosC
March 9, 2021
Member since 02/27/2021 🔗
5 posts

I was curious - Liberty closes the 21st, and is open to weekday skiing all until then.

But the projected temperatures don't look that good....

March 9, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I will be at TM for a few midweek days next week!

The Colonel aka MorganB

bob
March 10, 2021
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Vail resorts is extending seasons at Colorado hills

https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/winter-sports/keystone-resort-extends-ski-season-by-a-week/

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 10, 2021
3,246 posts

VR also extended for Mt Snow and Sunapee.  Still April 4 for Okemo and April 12 for Stowe.

Have heard the Okemo has off-season projects planned so may want to get started ASAP.

Since Easter is April 4, that seems to be motivation to at least get to that weekend and perhaps the week after if snow conditions are reasonable.

Denvern61
March 10, 2021
Member since 11/11/2020 🔗
14 posts
At Timberline today, overall pretty good conditions. Only issue area was lower winter set before the tunnel. Wiil have to bring in  snow if they plan on keeping winterset and twister open. 
mdr227
March 18, 2021
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Looks like Canaan Valley is the first place to close for the season.    Timberline has closed only for the day due to heavy rain and although Wintergreen shows on the site that 24 trails are open today their beginner lift is not running on the web cam (can't tell if the others are and certainly don't see anyone out there).    It's amazing how many places still have almost all the terrain open (though with very thin coverage) and for most this will certainly be the last weekend.   Really impressed how well all the local places were able to operate with covid this Winter and hope for their sake that next Winter they will be back to normal operations as I know many lost a lot of money on ticket/rental/lesson sales and of course food and beverage income.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2021
3,246 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Looks like Canaan Valley is the first place to close for the season.    Timberline has closed only for the day due to heavy rain and although Wintergreen shows on the site that 24 trails are open today their beginner lift is not running on the web cam (can't tell if the others are and certainly don't see anyone out there).    It's amazing how many places still have almost all the terrain open (though with very thin coverage) and for most this will certainly be the last weekend.   Really impressed how well all the local places were able to operate with covid this Winter and hope for their sake that next Winter they will be back to normal operations as I know many lost a lot of money on ticket/rental/lesson sales and of course food and beverage income.

Adaptibility to weather and other circumstances is probably why all the mid-Atlantic and southeast ski areas/resorts that survived past the 1990s are still around.  Plus of course amazing snowmaking and snowmakers.

From what I can see on the Massanutten webcams, the snow coverage is more narrow than thin.  As long as Geronimo is still open that means it's probably still pretty deep on the blues and blacks on the upper mountain.  If it doesn't rain too hard, I expect Mnut to have at least one bonus weekend after 7-day operations end this weekend.

ahguy
March 18, 2021
Member since 03/10/2014 🔗
6 posts
Has anyone heard of any discounts or special pricing this coming weekend at any PA resorts? 
rbrtlav
March 19, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

ahguy wrote:

Has anyone heard of any discounts or special pricing this coming weekend at any PA resorts? 

If you are referring to the vail resorts your best deal may be to find a friend with an epic pass that is already going. Buddy tickets are probably the best price you will find. 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Seven Springs is full price this weekend but there is a deal to be had on Sunday. Sunday Funday 4 all-day tickets for $120. I don't see any restrictions listed so round up 3 friends and get a $30 ticket. https://store.7springs.com/ecommerce/ItemList.aspx?node_id=448356

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I just saw a tweet that Elk will try to reopen for Saturday, March 27, but is closed starting tomorrow.
ZARDOG
March 21, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Jack Frost open till Mar 28,

New York drops covid travel restrictions on APR 1.

Hunter open till Apr 11. 

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

So, after Sunday March 21, which Mid-A ski areas are open weekdays?

• Snowshoe
  • Jack Frost 
  • Camelback

Any others?

Woody

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 21, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Seven Springs will reopen next weekend. Their big pond skimming contest is on April 10th though I'm not sure if the lifts will be running. Kathy and I skied there today and I must say that the coverage was better on the first full day of spring than it has been in mid-winter in recent years. The surface was surprisingly firm in places but very loose granular all about. We got off the slopes around noon before it all went to chowder.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2021 (edited March 28, 2021)
3,246 posts
Massanutten could only sneak in one extra day after the official closing date of March 21.  The lower mountain was open on Sat, March 27.  Lift 6 to the top wasn't running.  I would guess that was more to save on staff costs than because of lack of snow.  There was a very thin strip visible on Geronimo in the morning.  With rain predicted for Sunday, not much point to run lifts.
wgo
March 28, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Thought about getting out there for a couple hours but with only showtime open and a couple commitments I would have had to reschedule it wasnt worth it. Cheers to Mnut for a successful season!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?