21 - 22 Snowshoe Thread
84 posts
27 users
13k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2021
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts
I guess it's time to start a new SS thread.  Share all your love / hate on Snowshoe here.

I see temps in the 20's every night this week.  I wonder if they will go for it and run the snow guns starting tonight?
Bonzski
November 2, 2021
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

NOVEMBER 23 | Season Passholder Preview Day

NOVEMBER 24 | Opening Day

NOVEMBER 26-28 | Thanksgiving Weekend

There’s no better place to get the family together than here on the mountain. We’ll
take care of the Thanksgiving feast (and the dishes) while you get out and make the
first turns of the season together.

DECEMBER 12 | WV Ski Free Day

DECEMBER 17 | Opening Day for Silver Creek & Coca-Cola Tubing Park

Who’s ready for some night skiing at the Creek? Don’t miss out on the LED light show at
the Coca-Cola Tubing Park for a truly spectacular experience.

DECEMBER 18 |Winter Brewfest

What’s better than a beer après ski? How about your choice of more than 50 beers, live
music, AND some delicious pretzels? Yeah, we’ll see you there. Grab your tickets in
advance and save. Must be 21+ to attend.

DECEMBER 23-30 | Holiday Celebrations

If “walking in a winter wonderland” is on your holiday wish list, Snowshoe is just the place
you’ve been dreaming of. Join us for holiday crafts and take a lap with Santa & Friends
out on the slopes!

DECEMBER 31 | New Year’s Eve Celebration

Come on up and bring in the new year with good friends, good skiing, and some great
parties here on the mountain. Cheers to another trip around the sun!

JANUARY 29-30| SMITH Freestyle Freak Out
This weekend is going to be packed from start to finish with the most fun you’ve ever
had on snow. First up, the Progression Session is a laid-back event that’s all about
pushing your skills in the terrain park. The Fam Jam is a mild version of a banked slalom
where the whole family can compete as a team. Last but not least, a good old-
fashioned rail jam under the lights on Skidder where the best tricks will win.

FEBRUARY 7|Cupp Run Challenge

FEBRUARY 12 | Uphill Thang

If you haven’t heard, uphilling is all the rage right now. Splitboarding and ski touring are
making waves in the industry and we’re excited to see what all the fuss is about. We’ll
be blocking off a few trails at Silver Creek for uphill equipment demos from Burton,
Blizzard, and Volkl.

FEBRUARY 25|Snowshoe Foundation Ice Dinner

The Snowshoe Foundation’s annual winter benefit dinner features live entertainment
and an incredible food and drink selection, all in support of the amazing work the
Foundation does in our community.

FEBRUARY 26 | Berming Man Banked Slalom

If the title of “Fastest Snowboarder in West Virginia” is something you’d like to claim, this
is your race. Expect crazy costumes, steep berms, high speed, and good times all
around.

MARCH 5-6| USASA Boarder/Skier Cross Race

It’s been well over a decade since the last USASA Boarder/Skier Cross race was held
here at the Shoe, so we’re extremely stoked to make up for lost time.

MARCH 12-13| College Weekend

There may not be a Ballhooter Spring Break Festival this year but its spirit lives on at
College Weekend! Ski. Party. Sleep. Repeat.

MARCH 19-20 | Spring Send It. (Pond Skim, Cardboard Box Race, Etc.)

If you like skiing in a t-shirt and sporting a sweet goggle tan at work on Monday, then
you’re going to want to be here for the Spring Send It! Come on up and check out the
pond skim, cardbox derby, and much more! Competitors will be judged on both
costume and style, so be sure to bring both.

MARCH 27 | WV Ski Free Day

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
Ten day temp forecast through 11/11 not promising... if cold nights come back in the two weeks leading up to 11/25, what could realistically be open for Turkey weekend?  (assuming no rain events, etc)
Bonzski
November 2, 2021
652 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

Ten day temp forecast through 11/11 not promising... if cold nights come back in the two weeks leading up to 11/25, what could realistically be open for Turkey weekend?  (assuming no rain events, etc)

With one week of cold they can open up 20+ trails, including Cupp.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Cole53
November 2, 2021
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
17 posts
Looks like snowmaking just started out in the Mid Atlantic with guns running at the Skidder Slope at Snowshoe! Seen on the webcam Skidder Slope on the Snowshoe website.
Bonzski
November 2, 2021
652 posts

1635892094_onxxkzrxajln.jpg

Thefirewarde
November 2, 2021
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
Hard to say from here if that's "just testing" or if they'll run full bore for stockpiling.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Thefirewarde wrote:

Hard to say from here if that's "just testing" or if they'll run full bore for stockpiling.

From Joe Steven's first post of the season on SkiSE, Snowshoe was just testing the snow guns.  He's the Exec. Dir. for the WV West Ski Area Association.

rbrtlav
November 2, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

marzNC wrote:

Thefirewarde wrote:

From Joe Steven's first post of the season on SkiSE, Snowshoe was just testing the snow guns.  He's the Exec. Dir. for the WV West Ski Area Association.

In general from what I understand snowshoe has set electric rates starting 11/1 so I think the pictures from last week were a test, but they will make snow when they can from here on out. Looks like they might get 48-60 hours or so between now and Saturday and then it warms up again. 

November 3, 2021
1,580 posts
If this is a test, I'd say they passed.  Those guns have been running for 15 hrs straight. 

It sucks that they can't figure out how to "work" all the webcams they previously streamed live.  It was nice to see several different views of the slopes instead of just skidder ......  
Thefirewarde
November 3, 2021
112 posts

The picture referenced from Joe Steven's article was taken October 14?

I've been a part of multiple full power tests that accidentally made enough snow to open the mountain. Management didn't plan to open that quickly but no showstopper issues came up. I don't expect that much snow now but Snowshoe sure looks to be doing more than just function checks.

Bonzski
November 3, 2021
652 posts

Ikon now has a 2-day Snowshoe mid-week pass for $99 & good for non-consecutive days.

Details are Here

tskski
November 3, 2021
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Just bought two. Already have the Indy Pass.
jimw
November 4, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Webcam is looking like a white room this morning,.

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

nickhaas212
November 4, 2021
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Any updates on the future of the new trail and lift?  Last I heard they had already surveyed and marked the new trail.  

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Snowshoe this morning from their FB page.

1636063185_tqcirjybbfmt.jpg

ndabunka
November 6, 2021 (edited November 7, 2021)
Member since 09/17/2017 🔗
11 posts

Pretty certain he means the replacement for what used to be the super Sloooooooowwwww Powder Ridge lift which, I believe, was completed over the summer so that it would be far QUICKER to get back up the mountain.  There were plans for YEARS to have had a new lift added to the far right-hand side (as you look DOWN the slopes) of Soaring Eagle but that was abandoned when they discovered an endangered species of Salamander in that area.  There were also rumors that the "long promised" ski runs in Sawmill (now called Sanctuary) were going to be in place by the 2020 season but that also never materialized due to failings of that particular developer.  There is a TON of potential for additional lifts in that area as well as the possibility for slope development below the existing helicopter pad across from Soaring Eagle Lodge.  Those those of you who do not know, that was where the ORIGINAL lift for snowshoe was located and it ran down towards the golf course.

nickhaas212 wrote:

New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Bonzski
November 11, 2021
652 posts

ndabunka wrote:

Pretty certain he means the replacement for what used to be the super Sloooooooowwwww Powder Ridge lift which, I believe, was completed over the summer so that it would be far QUICKER to get back up the mountain.  There were plans for YEARS to have had a new lift added to the far right-hand side (as you look DOWN the slopes) of Soaring Eagle but that was abandoned when they discovered an endangered species of Salamander in that area.  There were also rumors that the "long promised" ski runs in Sawmill (now called Sanctuary) were going to be in place by the 2020 season but that also never materialized due to failings of that particular developer.  There is a TON of potential for additional lifts in that area as well as the possibility for slope development below the existing helicopter pad across from Soaring Eagle Lodge.  Those those of you who do not know, that was where the ORIGINAL lift for snowshoe was located and it ran down towards the golf course.

nickhaas212 wrote:

New chairlift??

jimw wrote:

Powder Ridge lift was replaced?  What makes you say this?  It's probably the least used lift on the basin side.

The Hawthorne lift that was located at the helipad was not original. It was installed in 82 and ran until 89.

jimw
November 12, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
They were talking about moving Ballhooter LIft to Powder Monkey and replacing Ballhooter with a six pack.  New trail runs skier's right of Cupp run.  I guess all this is on hold for now.  
Bonzski
November 12, 2021
652 posts

jimw wrote:

They were talking about moving Ballhooter LIft to Powder Monkey and replacing Ballhooter with a six pack.  New trail runs skier's right of Cupp run.  I guess all this is on hold for now.  

Yes, in recent years Powder Monkey has been targeted for replacement and there's been discussion of a new blue trail on the western side....all pre COVID.  Btw, PM and Skidder are original, circa 1974.

November 19, 2021
1,580 posts
SS made Turkey Day their official opening day.  Wed prior is open as a pass holder appreciation day.
amorFati
November 19, 2021
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
6 posts

Sweet maybe I'll have to do some white ribbon of death.  Need to get in ski shape.  

jimw
November 19, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Looking good for Thanksgiving Day!  I'm ready to start the season.   Can we get a Snow Dance gong?  Let it snow....

November 23, 2021
259 posts
Trail count predictions anyone?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimw
November 24, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
A news article I saw stated 12 but that includes upper, mid and lower sections of the top to bottom trails. 
November 24, 2021
1,580 posts

Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

RodneyBD wrote:

Trail count predictions anyone?
wgo
November 24, 2021 (edited November 24, 2021)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

So essentially a blue and green way down, with a few mix and match options? 

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Here’s the line-up for our opener this Thanksgiving Day: Gandy Dancer, Progression Park, Skidder, Heisler Way, Upper & Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, Cross-Cut, and Tail Tree. (Approximately 30 acres of skiable terrain)

November 24, 2021
1,580 posts

Yep - not enough for me to make the 4.5 hr drive.   I've gone in the past on black friday and you get bored after an hour.  It was more about getting together with some ski friends, take a few laps and hang out for the weekend.  

wgo wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

wgo
November 24, 2021
1,666 posts

Fair enough. For those that do make the drive, Gandy has a little more pitch at the top than Spruce (which I think has generally been the available blue run on previous opening days?), so that's good.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Yep - not enough for me to make the 4.5 hr drive.   I've gone in the past on black friday and you get bored after an hour.  It was more about getting together with some ski friends, take a few laps and hang out for the weekend.  

wgo wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

swoop
November 25, 2021
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts
Passholders opening day was beautiful.  Sunny, blue skies, still air and cold firm snow.  Cut up on Gandy and a green trail back to Bhooter from 9-3.  I'd say successful beginning to training laps needed for the Beast next week.  Cheers!
December 2, 2021
259 posts
Looking like a pretty small snow making window in next ten days - Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night - will they get any new terrain open for weekend of  12/11?  Or just replenish what's already open?
December 8, 2021
1,580 posts

They hinted at some trail expansion on the snow report today.  Guns running 36 hours straight as of this AM. I'm going to ski Thu and Fri this week and take advantage of the mid-week ghost town slopes.  I've been peeking at the webcams and at times this week there was not a soul in line on the Ballhooter and Powder Monkey lifts.  

RodneyBD wrote:

Looking like a pretty small snow making window in next ten days - Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night - will they get any new terrain open for weekend of  12/11?  Or just replenish what's already open?
Keith_Moon
December 15, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
So I read today on the Snowshoe FB group that there's a new ski-up bar at the 'Shoe. (?)  Anyone know what the story is?
jimw
December 16, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Now that Soaring Eagle lift and Widowmaker are open, you can access it..  The new "bar" is below Wabasso condos on Upper Flume  but I haven't heard that it's open?  I will check it out tomorrow. 
Keith_Moon
December 16, 2021
204 posts

I read they are getting final inspections and will open soon.  It's supposedly down below Leatherbark, just up the slope from where J-Hook branches off from Upper Flume.  In the picture I saw there was a car (non 4WD sedan) behind it, so they must have cut some sort of access road.  When I was staying at Leatherback last year it looked like they were doing something like that.

December 16, 2021
1,580 posts

I stayed at my buddies in Leatherbark last weekend.  There is a rough gravel access road between Leatherbark and Treetops complexes.  It leads to this new development called Forever Wild.  It has 18 one acre plus lots in it.  Pick one up today for the low low price of 350,000 (holy $#!+)

I wish we drove down to check it out

1639660251_zeafwoegzzhv.jpg

got2surf
December 16, 2021
Member since 12/17/2019 🔗
5 posts

Posting this again this year - here is my live map that shows which lifts/trails are open. It pulls from the same data source as the official website, so it should always be up to date.

skisnowshoe.neocities.org

I’ve been here since Sunday, and am loving it! More trails open every day. Plenty of snow to choose from - beautiful soft snow in the park, nice groomers on some of the steeper blues, etc. Blue skies and good vibes all around! Hope everyone has a great season :)

Bonzski
December 18, 2021
652 posts
I skied Silvercreek today. How they made enough snow to cover what they did is crazy. Snow was great and the rain held off til mid afternoon.
Mongo
December 29, 2021
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts
Photos I see on FB look pretty grim. Not sure if I should pull the plug on my trip next week or not. What are the predictions for next week? 
Thefirewarde
December 30, 2021
112 posts
It gets cold this Sunday night, and Snowshoe'll have to focus on resurfacing core trails first. As to what survives in a fit state to be resurfaced instead of starting over, it's hard to say. I'd say by Tuesday, assuming they don't lose everything, there should be some fresh, open trails with good coverage. By the next weekend, therr'll be depth and coverage on core trails at least as good as opening week.
January 3, 2022
1,580 posts

Misery loves company 1641241927_saswsnziubkq.jpg

Grumpy dad
January 4, 2022 (edited January 4, 2022)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

LOL I was just about to post this EXACT picture.  WOW, now in comparison look at 7S.  Main difference? Snowshoe made snow, 7S decided to use the weather as an excuse for why they only made snow on one slope and two trails all year.

7S=bare minimum to avoid getting sued/class action from their pass holders:

1641312074_svggagxktnob.jpg

Meanwhile on Avalanche, at 7S

1641312156_zsrephlfcbau.jpg

Patf1engineer
January 4, 2022
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

I get that the weather has not cooperated.  But for as much as people like to talk up their snowmaking system, what they have done so far is really underwhelming.

Grumpy dad wrote:

LOL I was just about to post this EXACT picture.  WOW, now in comparison look at 7S.  Main difference? Snowshoe made snow, 7S decided to use the weather as an excuse for why they only made snow on one slope and two trails all year.

Bonzski
January 5, 2022
652 posts
Recovery is going strong....back to 28 trails already.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 5, 2022
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Grump A--  give us all a break from the negativity.  I think it is great that Snowshoe is doing well. They have an excelent snow making system and have invested heavily.  Nobody is suing 7S. They are 1800 feet lower in elevation and thus the challenge in making snow in higher temperatures. But facts and reality don't seem to mean much to you. I wish they could be doing better. Check out the resorts in New England. Some have few trails open. And selective use of photos does not work.... such as the Avalanche lift is great to make your point more believable. However, the top photo you provided is 7S, not Snowshoe. Get your Prozac prescription renewed. 

Grumpy dad wrote:

JRunPatterson74
January 5, 2022
Member since 02/27/2019 🔗
27 posts
How far apart are Snowshoe Basin and Silver Creek? Looks like a bit of a drive but it was tough to tell from their site.
oddballstocks
January 5, 2022
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Maybe 10min?  If there is a bit of snow on the road and a Southern driver maybe 15min.  If it's actively snowing even more, even though it's flat.

I'd budget 15min from Top of the World to Silvercreek, if you park near Western Lift or at the main parking lot it's 10min or less.  With a dry road and no traffic just a few minutes.

JRunPatterson74
January 5, 2022
Member since 02/27/2019 🔗
27 posts

oddballstocks wrote:

Maybe 10min?  If there is a bit of snow on the road and a Southern driver maybe 15min.  If it's actively snowing even more, even though it's flat.

I'd budget 15min from Top of the World to Silvercreek, if you park near Western Lift or at the main parking lot it's 10min or less.  With a dry road and no traffic just a few minutes.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like they are practically two different areas under one umbrella.

wgo
January 5, 2022
1,666 posts

Yes, exactly. If you have some time to kill search the forum here for speculation on someday connecting the 2 areas with a gondola.

JRunPatterson74 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like they are practically two different areas under one umbrella.

January 5, 2022
1,580 posts

Snowshoe runs a free shuttle service between the two ski areas they are basically old school buses

JRunPatterson74 wrote:

How far apart are Snowshoe Basin and Silver Creek? Looks like a bit of a drive but it was tough to tell from their site.
jimw
January 6, 2022
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Should be good this weekend.  Hoping for 8"+.  Hope they can reopen Cupp this weekend.  
Keith_Moon
January 6, 2022
204 posts
Wow, it's dumping down right now at the Shoe!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2022 (edited January 6, 2022)
3,246 posts

JRunPatterson74 wrote:

Silver Creek was developed as an independent ski area.  Was bought and incorporated into Snowshoe in the mid-1990s.

I have enjoyed Silver Creek in the afternoons when it's crowded or skied off in the main area.  Even when day tripping, easier to take the shuttle than move the car between parking lots.

January 7, 2022
1,580 posts

I can attest that there was AT LEAST 12 inches of fresh ungroomed snow on Spruce this morning.

Keith_Moon wrote:

Wow, it's dumping down right now at the Shoe!
wgo
January 7, 2022
1,666 posts

They left Spruce ungroomed? Nice.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I can attest that there was AT LEAST 12 inches of fresh ungroomed snow on Spruce this morning.

Bonzski
January 10, 2022
652 posts

wgo wrote:

They left Spruce ungroomed? Nice.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Widowmaker & Gandy were left ungroomed also.  The bottom low-grade run-outs to the lifts were groomed so everyone could make it to the lift.  There were some that made tracks on unmarked trails but the snow was fairly dry and where there wasn't a base I found it too easy to hit dirt/rock so I stuck to the trails.  Temps didn't get above 8F with some wind on top.

Bonzski
January 13, 2022
652 posts

The build continues...trail count up to 38 today with more coming.

Upper Shay's Revenge and Grabhammer will open this morning. Skip Jack, Camp 99, and Bear Claw are all officially in the "on deck" circle to open next. We should see some snow showers this evening into tomorrow, and buzz continues to build for what could be a potent winter storm in the Sunday/Monday timeframe. Keep the snow dances going, they seem to be working!

jimw
January 14, 2022
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Yea man.  Sunday and Monday should be good  Crazy to think Roanoke may get more snow than Snowshoe.  
Bonzski
January 17, 2022
652 posts

This morning was a nuke fest with winds that kept the refills coming. Every open trail was deep pow. Winds were 30-40 at the ridge which delayed Ballhooter and Soaring Eagle lift openings til about 10am which was kinda nice to get deep fresh pow shots on Camp99 & Widowmaker mid morning til noon. Never more than 5 deep at the lifts.

BackInDC
January 18, 2022
Member since 03/18/2021 🔗
11 posts

Bonzski wrote:

This morning was a nuke fest with winds that kept the refills coming. Every open trail was deep pow. Winds were 30-40 at the ridge which delayed Ballhooter and Soaring Eagle lift openings til about 10am which was kinda nice to get deep fresh pow shots on Camp99 & Widowmaker mid morning til noon. Never more than 5 deep at the lifts.

Was there powder in the Western Territory? I've always imagined that Western Territory on a powder day would be BY FAR the best skiing possible in the mid-atlantic, but that side of the mountain seems more exposed to the wind and seems to be icier than the basin side

Bonzski
January 18, 2022
652 posts

You are spot on. Unfortunately they couldn't open the Western lift yesterday. Upper Cupp and Shays are susceptible to being wind scoured because they're western facing. I wouldn't be surprised that's the case now but there are some glades and side stashes that fill in.

BackInDC wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Was there powder in the Western Territory? I've always imagined that Western Territory on a powder day would be BY FAR the best skiing possible in the mid-atlantic, but that side of the mountain seems more exposed to the wind and seems to be icier than the basin side

jimw
January 19, 2022
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Yea Cupp was blown off but nice on the sides which is usually the case unless the wind changes directions.  First tracks down Camp 99 on Tuesday was sweet.  Wish I could have had the 2nd rope drop at Silver Creek but had to head home around noon.  Thanks for the powder Mother Nature.  
BackInDC
January 20, 2022
Member since 03/18/2021 🔗
11 posts
Interesting, I wonder what conditions would be needed to get fresh powder on WT? I was there late march last year and really enjoyed western territory inn Spring conditions. Soft snow isn't powder much much preferable to the regular ice
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 21, 2022
3,246 posts

For folks who buy day tickets for Snowshoe, they are limiting the numbers.  Can be an issue for Saturdays and holidays if you don't plan ahead.  Sat, Jan. 22, was sold out as of Jan. 21.  Still have some Silver Creek only tickets available.

1642743582_rjkzpzejycuk.jpg

January 21, 2022
1,580 posts

There is a way around this.  Ikon pass holders have 8 buddy passes for friends and family.  At Snowshoe, there are no blackout dates and they can be used on sold out dates.   Cost is 25% off window rates. 

My son did not buy a season pass this year b/c he was waiting on orders to report to OK City for FAA ATC certification.  We'll just use my buddy passes before he leaves. 

It's a common topic in that Snowshoe Visitors Facebook group.  I'm shocked by how many people secure lodging then scramble for lift tickets at the last minute.

marzNC wrote:

For folks who buy day tickets for Snowshoe, they are limiting the numbers.  Can be an issue for Saturdays and holidays if you don't plan ahead.  Sat, Jan. 22, was sold out as of Jan. 21.  Still have some Silver Creek only tickets available.

Patf1engineer
January 21, 2022
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

We are coming down Monday for 2 nights.  When we were booking lodging, I tried to get the discounted tickets that were tied to the lodging but the site would not let me.  However, I was able to get tickets (full price) separate from the  lodging.  The discount was really not that much but it was somewhat annoying.  Their website is not particularly easy to navigate, and info on the lodging options is pretty mediocre.

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

There is a way around this.  Ikon pass holders have 8 buddy passes for friends and family.  At Snowshoe, there are no blackout dates and they can be used on sold out dates.   Cost is 25% off window rates. 

My son did not buy a season pass this year b/c he was waiting on orders to report to OK City for FAA ATC certification.  We'll just use my buddy passes before he leaves. 

It's a common topic in that Snowshoe Visitors Facebook group.  I'm shocked by how many people secure lodging then scramble for lift tickets at the last minute.

marzNC wrote:

Bonzski
January 21, 2022
652 posts

BackInDC wrote:

Interesting, I wonder what conditions would be needed to get fresh powder on WT? I was there late march last year and really enjoyed western territory inn Spring conditions. Soft snow isn't powder much much preferable to the regular ice

It's all about wind speed and direction. If the winds are generally westerly, then they need to be less than ~25 mph.  Winds from other directions have less impact, except at the tops of upper Cupp & Shays. Of course, if there's a good base, then the tree stashes are viable after a wind event.

March 2, 2022
1,580 posts

Snowshoe is certainly having a challenging year.  For those that do not follow, a few weeks ago the Soaring Eagle lift was down for an ENTIRE WEEK.  Then a week before (or after) the Western Express went down for several hours one day. 

Fast forward to today.  The Ballhooter lift is down.  It crapped the bed yesterday. Skiers / riders had to be evacuated off the chairs by ski patrol.  All were safely removed so kuddos to patrol.  I understand stuff happens, but all 3 high speeds have issues in the same year?  

I'm a big fan of Snowshoe ..... but ......  

eggraid
March 2, 2022
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe is certainly having a challenging year.  For those that do not follow, a few weeks ago the Soaring Eagle lift was down for an ENTIRE WEEK.  Then a week before (or after) the Western Express went down for several hours one day. 

Fast forward to today.  The Ballhooter lift is down.  It crapped the bed yesterday. Skiers / riders had to be evacuated off the chairs by ski patrol.  All were safely removed so kuddos to patrol.  I understand stuff happens, but all 3 high speeds have issues in the same year?  

I'm a big fan of Snowshoe ..... but ......  

I've never heard of people needing to be evacuated from any of the SS lifts. I hope they get it figured out, we are planning to head up to ski in the rain this weekend.

March 2, 2022
1,580 posts

1646272644_wqollovbxeqk.jpg

Mongo
March 3, 2022
98 posts

Apropos of three lifts being down this year - it is unusual, right? I don’t want to rule out it happening in previous seasons and I just didn’t know about it.

Also, is it happening at other resorts or just Snowshoe? If the problem is “supply chain is broken” then it should be happening to other resorts.

It raises obvious questions about maintenance and reliability. I want to be absolutely confident the lifts are safe and reliable before I bring my kids to use them.

Keith_Moon
March 5, 2022
204 posts
Several years ago the main lift went down at Beech in NC and they just closed down for the season.  This was in February.
Cycleski
March 6, 2022
Member since 01/10/2021 🔗
27 posts
Anyone have info on conditions at Snowshoe given the warm weather? I am headed over today to ski tomorrow and Tuesday with my daughter.  Thanks, John
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2022
3,246 posts

Mongo wrote:

Apropos of three lifts being down this year - it is unusual, right? I don’t want to rule out it happening in previous seasons and I just didn’t know about it.

Also, is it happening at other resorts or just Snowshoe? If the problem is “supply chain is broken” then it should be happening to other resorts.

It raises obvious questions about maintenance and reliability. I want to be absolutely confident the lifts are safe and reliable before I bring my kids to use them.

There have been quite a few lift issues in other regions from what I can tell.  Meaning at smaller mountains, not just Ikon/Epic resorts.  Hard to know whether more than pre-pandemic or the online news is traveling faster than before.

Mongo
March 6, 2022
98 posts

Cycleski wrote:

Anyone have info on conditions at Snowshoe given the warm weather? I am headed over today to ski tomorrow and Tuesday with my daughter.  Thanks, John

We were there this weekend. Just got back. Very warm weather. Snow was always a bit slushy even first thing in the morning. Lots of bare patches. Acceptable but won’t last long unless they get more snow.

Keith_Moon
March 8, 2022
204 posts
Looks like it snowed a little last night, they are blowing right now at Shavers and more snow is in the forecast.  Woot!
Cycleski
March 9, 2022
Member since 01/10/2021 🔗
27 posts
My daughter and I had really great conditions on Tuesday after the sloppy mess on Monday.  My hats off to the Snowshoe team for leveraging the cold weather that moved in and the incredible snow making system they have.  The difference was night and day.
Keith_Moon
March 12, 2022
204 posts
Small flakes coming down steadily in a strong wind with no end in sight as I look out the window here at Mountain Lodge.  Looks like a few inches fell overnight as predicted. Whatever may have been bare yesterday sure isn't today.  Supposed to snow all day and be super cold today but anyone who can make it up here tomorrow will likely have great conditions.
Bonzski
March 13, 2022
652 posts
Guns back on tonight. 
March 14, 2022
1,580 posts

Snowshoe, as well as Ikon passes, went on sale last Thur.  They raised the price of the Primo add on from 279 to 549 + tax. A friend of mine told me they sold out in 90 minutes.  One had to buy, at a minimum, an Ikon Base pass to be eligible for Primo.   593 with tax is a steep price to skip the lines on a busy weekend.

March 25, 2022
259 posts

I rarely ski Snowshoe but will sort of be in the neighborhood and can ski closing day.  Hoping/thinking the cool temps and fresh snow will be a nice surface on Sunday.  Maybe even a real powder day, crazy.

What can I expect on Route 28 from Seneca Rocks down past Green Bank to Cass?  Looks like WVDOH is responsible for plowing, and the snow is supposed to come in overnight.  I'm definitely going and just trying to figure out what do I need to allow for drive time - thanks for any insight!

Shotmaker
March 25, 2022
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

I'm leaving Saturday afternoon/evening when the bulk of the snow is predicted to fall. NWS has upwards of 9" by early Sunday morning. If you go through Green Bank toward Cass the only area of concern is when you go through the national forrest between Circleville & Barton. The elevation there is 4K+ but should be plowed a few times during the day.

The other area is the approach to Snowshoe from Cass where a few vehicles aren't prepared for accumulating snow many times spin out and get stuck. Roads will be plowed as long as you have a snow worthy vehicle it shouldn't be an issue.

This trip I will be taking 81 south to Staunton onto 250 west toward Monterey. Should be light snow this way until I head up from Cass.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2022
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I see multiple groomers working on the Snowshoe webcam. Do they plan on reopening?
March 31, 2022
1,580 posts

Nah, they "groom out" some of the trails so they melt off faster.  There is a paved road from Shavers to Mtn Lodge they access to set up the ramps for mt biking.  They use a pretty big crane to set the ramp at the top of Ballhooter.    

snowsmith wrote:

I see multiple groomers working on the Snowshoe webcam. Do they plan on reopening?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.