Local epic snowmaking?
22 posts
13 users
3k+ views
MitchSH
November 23, 2021
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts
Anyone have any information on when Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop may start making snow?  Seems like with temperatures going below freezing overnight they should have started firing up the guns by now. 
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
Search some of the Liberty and Whitetail threads from last winter about Vail being conservative with the snowmaking... the good old days of Irvin Naylor green lighting the guns in November or most of March are over...  Vail is ALL about the bottom line.  Not a criticism, just the reality.  Majority of Epic pass holders don't show up until end of December. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Did there used to be cheap day tickets during early season under Snow Time?
rbrtlav
November 23, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

marzNC wrote:

Maybe opening weekend would be weekday prices… but generally I think they were close to full price. The discounts were really on the advantage card and learn to ski programs.

Even under peak resorts I think at least Big Boulder and roundtop would have tried for a thanksgiving (or already been open) opening with current weather. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
VaTech2k
November 23, 2021
Member since 02/13/2018 🔗
15 posts
In 2019 I skiied Roundtop on November 17.  There were also a couple of years where I was able to ski at Whitetail the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Sadly, it looks like those days are likely over based on Vail's lack of costumer service.  
superguy
November 23, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I saw a post earlier they started blowing snow at JFBB. Hasn't seen anything on the ST resorts.

Vail's blowing hard in NE though.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Maybe opening weekend would be weekday prices… but generally I think they were close to full price. The discounts were really on the advantage card and learn to ski programs.

Even under peak resorts I think at least Big Boulder and roundtop would have tried for a thanksgiving (or already been open) opening with current weather. 

Wasn't Big Boulder first to open in the Poconos many years?

Scott - DCSki Editor
November 23, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Vail Resorts is currently planning to open its Pennsylvania resorts on the following dates:

Jack FrostDecember 3, 2021
Big BoulderDecember 17, 2021
Liberty MountainDecember 17, 2021
RoundtopDecember 17, 2021
WhitetailDecember 17, 2021

Given these projected opening dates, I don't think we'll see substantial snowmaking at Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop until early December.  These are the dates Vail Resorts is shooting for in terms of ramping up staffing, etc.

superguy
November 23, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

7S is shooting for Dec 11 supposedly, according to someone who works there that pushed in the Seven Springs Friends group.

Heard that they may try to open this weekend, though I see that as ambitious.

Dec 11 seems reasonable though.

amorFati
November 24, 2021
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
6 posts
Yeah Whitetail and Liberty used to normally open earlier.  Weather permitting of course.  I used to use early December as a warmup for other trips.  Almost no one would be there.  Maybe one blue open if you were lucky.  
rbrtlav
November 29, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Big boulder used to open as early as possible, sometimes quite early in November and then try to build up snow for a “May Day” park event. Roundtop if at all possible used to always have a park if not a few trails open for thanksgiving or earlier, and liberty and whitetail would usually open asap after roundtop. 

All of these resorts used to take advantage of whatever snowmaking windows they had starting in mid November because they know, especially early season they may not be every night. I’m not sure whitetail has had any nights worth firing up the system, but roundtop and the resorts in the poconos sure have. It’s disappointing to see the changes that have been made to these resorts since vail took them over. It also seemed like snow time used to make a purchase of snowmaking equipment every offseason, and the 3 snow time resorts haven’t shown up at all on any of the vail press releases for improvements. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2021
3,246 posts

Just because there isn't a VR corporate press release, does that really mean nothing happens at a given resort?  The press releases are aimed as much as stockholders as people who are interested in an Epic Pass.  Most Epic pass holders may not even know what state Whitetail or Liberty are in.

Lately, the best place to see news about a resort seems to be Facebook.  What VR resorts don't do well is make use of their websites to post info about upgrades to lifts or snowmaking infrastructure.

rbrtlav wrote:

Big boulder used to open as early as possible, sometimes quite early in November and then try to build up snow for a “May Day” park event. Roundtop if at all possible used to always have a park if not a few trails open for thanksgiving or earlier, and liberty and whitetail would usually open asap after roundtop. 

All of these resorts used to take advantage of whatever snowmaking windows they had starting in mid November because they know, especially early season they may not be every night. I’m not sure whitetail has had any nights worth firing up the system, but roundtop and the resorts in the poconos sure have. It’s disappointing to see the changes that have been made to these resorts since vail took them over. It also seemed like snow time used to make a purchase of snowmaking equipment every offseason, and the 3 snow time resorts haven’t shown up at all on any of the vail press releases for improvements. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2021
3,246 posts

Way too warm around Massanutten for snowmaking this week.  What was on Geronimo is almost all melted.

Mnut plans to open snow tubing Dec. 3-4.  So the trails with a deeper base must be holding up okay.

amorFati
December 5, 2021
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
6 posts

Good point.  It could be a communications issue.  One thing I have always loved about whitetail and liberty is their snowmaking teams.  They are top notch.  If it is cold they can have almost the whole place open in a week.  Made me love them for some early season pre big trip conditioning.  And they could always stretch out the season longer than it should go.  

marzNC wrote:

Just because there isn't a VR corporate press release, does that really mean nothing happens at a given resort?  The press releases are aimed as much as stockholders as people who are interested in an Epic Pass.  Most Epic pass holders may not even know what state Whitetail or Liberty are in.

Lately, the best place to see news about a resort seems to be Facebook.  What VR resorts don't do well is make use of their websites to post info about upgrades to lifts or snowmaking infrastructure.

rbrtlav wrote:

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2021 (edited December 5, 2021)
3,246 posts

Funny how people don't understand that 100% snowmaking is what makes skiing possible in the southeast.  From SkiSE on Dec. 4.  It's been in the 60s in the NC mountains that last few days. :-)

Half of the 16 ski areas/resorts covered by SkiSE are open this weekend, mostly in NC and WV.

1638714264_gdotnsgtydkr.jpg

rbrtlav
December 5, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

They used to be way more active on Facebook, we are trying to figure out if they have New Year’s Eve events this year, and their website, Facebook, and even messaging them on Facebook get nowhere. Hopefully as staffing ramps up things will improve, but I miss the days where roundtop would “accidentally” make too much snow during a test and open for a few days. 

amorFati wrote:

Good point.  It could be a communications issue.  One thing I have always loved about whitetail and liberty is their snowmaking teams.  They are top notch.  If it is cold they can have almost the whole place open in a week.  Made me love them for some early season pre big trip conditioning.  And they could always stretch out the season longer than it should go.  

marzNC wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

ZARDOG
December 12, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

I look at weather models as far as 32 days out. I have yet to see enough cold air penetration to make snowmaking worthwhile till Dec 17. That will change models always do.  The Cold does sit better in the 7springs, Bryce, Timberline, Poconos, but not on blue ridge yet.  

at Dec 12 Snow on ground satellite  - It shows exactly the warm/cold line. The zonal flow we call it.

1639315973_lnkplkzchpvx.jpg

ZARDOG

MitchSH
December 12, 2021
56 posts
I have skied six days at Timberline so far this season, their snowmaking and overall conditions have been incredible. 
mdr227
December 13, 2021
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Looking at the current two week forecast it's going to take a minor miracle for Whitetail and I assume Liberty (as the webcam is down there so can't see if they've made any snow) to open for the holidays and if they do will just be a few trails.   Bryce continues to beat them with opening earlier yet again and will likely stay open later this year.    The years of being able to get some get pre-holiday skiing in locally (Whitetail or Liberty) seem to be long gone.  
Thefirewarde
December 13, 2021
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
I think if pre-Christmas skiing at the three Snowtime areas is to reliably continue, Vail needs to call up Latitude 90 and get a sizeable all-weather snowmaking system installed. That'd let them at least reliably open one handle tow at one resort. They don't make snow like they used to and on top of that the weather is crap.
MitchSH
December 13, 2021 (edited December 13, 2021)
56 posts
Based on the AccuWeather  long range forecast looks like there is hope for nighttime snowmaking starting on the 19th so we will see. Their snow guns can really crank it out with just a few days of snowmaking so there is hope of post Christmas skiing. 

Next year, with the Seven Springs resorts available to Epic pass holders, there will at least be more local options available. 

Timberline has closed down mid week to conserve its snow and will reopen this Friday. 
squeakywheels
December 13, 2021
Member since 08/4/2017 🔗
38 posts

While local Snowtime resorts continue to sit idle, Bryce had another productive snow making last night.

1639409228_fpvlqvuvbrmh.jpg

mdr227 wrote:

Looking at the current two week forecast it's going to take a minor miracle for Whitetail and I assume Liberty (as the webcam is down there so can't see if they've made any snow) to open for the holidays and if they do will just be a few trails.   Bryce continues to beat them with opening earlier yet again and will likely stay open later this year.    The years of being able to get some get pre-holiday skiing in locally (Whitetail or Liberty) seem to be long gone.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?