OK geniuses, which ski company has this logo?
34 posts
8 users
3k+ views
Crush
February 6, 2022
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

i can't figure it out - tried google image search what ski manufacturer's logo is this? I'm totally stumped ...

1644199845_cgxlgsoscntq.jpg

Crush
February 6, 2022
1,271 posts

MarkRebuck wrote:

The spider is a dead giveaway.  The company is... Spyder :-).  https://www.spyder.com/

negative, bro - the skis ... this ...1644201937_rzdhktvpabkc.jpg

MarkRebuck
February 6, 2022
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts
Yeah, realized that just a bit too late to delete my post :).
MarkRebuck
February 6, 2022
33 posts
http://www.idoneusa.com/Mogul-Ride-Skis-s/1820.htm
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
wgo
February 7, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Is that Mikael Kingsbury?
cj68
February 7, 2022 (edited February 7, 2022)
Member since 03/17/2009 🔗
35 posts
That is not Kingsbury, it is a US Team member. All of the US Team is on ID Ones, since Nick Page and Bryon & Brad Wilson basically run the US distributorship for ID One (IDoneusa.com). The ski is made in Japan and is the predominant mogul ski for competitors. The ID One Pro Staff also used to run a summer mogul camp in Whistler where you could get coached by the above mentioned pros. Several of us local southern PA bump skiers ski on them. There is a pretty good chance that you will see several pairs of ID Ones at Liberty if you are there when our bump crew is out. If you see us, come by and say hi, as we would be glad to show you the skis.
Crush
February 7, 2022
1,271 posts

cj68 wrote:

That is not Kingsbury, it is a US Team member. All of the US Team is on ID Ones, since Nick Page and Bryon & Brad Wilson basically run the US distributorship for ID One (IDoneusa.com). Several of us local southern PA bump skiers ski on them. The ID One Pro Staff also used to run a summer mogul camp in Whistler where you could get coached by the above mentioned pros. There is a pretty good chance that you will see several pairs of ID Ones at Liberty if you are there when our bump crew is out. If you see us, come by and say hi, as we would be glad to show you the skis.

Ahhhh ...this is Jalin Kauf - earned a Silver! So fast I think she was making two turns per second on average!

Crush
February 7, 2022
1,271 posts

MarkRebuck wrote:

http://www.idoneusa.com/Mogul-Ride-Skis-s/1820.htm

Well spotted, sir! Thank you thank you!

cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts

She definitely laid down a fast run, but I think the judges were a little off and she should have gotten bronze. But I'm happy for her and the team that she got silver 

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

That is not Kingsbury, it is a US Team member. All of the US Team is on ID Ones, since Nick Page and Bryon & Brad Wilson basically run the US distributorship for ID One (IDoneusa.com). Several of us local southern PA bump skiers ski on them. The ID One Pro Staff also used to run a summer mogul camp in Whistler where you could get coached by the above mentioned pros. There is a pretty good chance that you will see several pairs of ID Ones at Liberty if you are there when our bump crew is out. If you see us, come by and say hi, as we would be glad to show you the skis.

Ahhhh ...this is Jalin Kauf - earned a Silver! So fast I think she was making two turns per second on average!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Good going Mark and cj68.  Once cj68 mentioned US Ski Team I went and dug up a photo I took on May 4, 2021 riding the Snowbird tram, ID One logo present:

1644251591_aysrcmhjravp.jpgI rode up the tram with about 6 or 7 US Ski Team (moguls) members at 9:15AM. They're so young, or maybe I'm so old :-) 

Also, I was fascinated at how tiny their skis were, perhaps 165cm long at most and possibly 67mm underfoot??

cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts

Nice pic! Most of the pro men ski on 177 or 182 (I run a 172 and am 5'8", but also over 50 and not a competitor) and the women on 172. The skis are 61mm underfoot. Here is a pic from Whistler a few years ago.1644256178_dpbjruwgiyqy.jpg

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 7, 2022
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Thanks.  I have wondered who made that ski and tried to find out online.  My google skills are substandard.   The logo looks like an aspen leaf to me.
cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
ID One has been around a while, over 20 years. They first really came onto the mogul scene with the dominant Finland Team in the late 90s/early 2000s, lead by silver and gold medalist Janne Lahtela. Now they have become synonymous with mogul skiing. 
MarkRebuck
February 7, 2022
33 posts

When I was growing up and learning to ski (early 1980'S), the mogul world was all about Hart skis (at least in the US).  hartskis.com .  I used to want a pair of them sooooo bad.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 7, 2022
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

This photo taken same day May 4, 2021 just after unloading from the Snowbird tram. This is moguls team member Olivia Giaccio, I know because her name was on her gear bag. Olivia was the first woman ever to attempt a cork 1080 in moguls World Cup competition. Her last name means "ice" in Italian.  Pretty cool, huh!

1644260872_zdkpmgsbilrj.jpg

cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
Another cool pic! The "OG" definitely rips! And as far as Hart Skis go, there are now 2 Hart companies, US (on hold for the time being) and Japan. The Hart skis that you are seeing in the Olympics are the Japanese version. I skied on the American F17 for many years before I got on the ID Ones and it is a great ski, especially for recreational mogul skiing. I hope they can bring the company back from the dead.  
cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
BTW, most of these athletes are super cool and down to earth. You should have gone up to Olivia and chatted with her... would have made for a cool story considering how well she did.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I’m curious.  What features do you want in a competitive mogul ski.  How does it differ from any other ski in the rack?  
cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
First of all, they have to be narrow like and old school ski. Even flex, good edge grip and durability are also important. Mogul skis are very quick edge to edge and are designed to be able to stuff the tip into the face of the bump. You can't really do that with most modern skis. For example, I can go "in" the bumps on my Dynastar Speed Zone 12s, but can't actually "ski" bumps on them well because the tip gets hung up and the edge locks in too much. Bump skis are also mounted more forward because you want to be skiing off of the front of the ski. If you watch the pros, they are skiing their skis from the tip to the toe piece. A friend of mine who won World Championships years ago broke his ski behind the binding off of the top air and didn't realize it until he got to the bottom and took his ski off. That's because he was skiing off of the front of the ski. The ski was a Dynastar Twister. Because I am used to skiing off of the front of the ski, I actually moved my carving ski bindings forward as well (this is the first non bump ski I have owned in over 20 years), because that is the feeling I am used to.
SuicideSix
Member since 01/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

Here we go -- ID Ones at Liberty.  Skis, poles, gloves, even the hoodie!  ;)  

Looking down the mogul line on Upper Eastwind from a couple years ago.

1644282970_bebbwneujrhr.jpg

1644283890_tbtelemvvdpx.jpg

Crush
February 7, 2022
1,271 posts

cj68 wrote:

BTW, most of these athletes are super cool and down to earth. You should have gone up to Olivia and chatted with her... would have made for a cool story considering how well she did.

Are you that guy that would show up at Ski Liberty back in the day in 1995-97 for the bump competition skiing the zipper line that I got my clocked cleaned by several times?

Crush
1,271 posts

SuicideSix wrote:

Here we go -- ID Ones at Liberty.  Skis, poles, gloves, even the hoodie!  ;)  

Looking down the mogul line on Upper Eastwind from a couple years ago.

1644282970_bebbwneujrhr.jpg

1644283890_tbtelemvvdpx.jpg

oh crap I miss that! Just as I remember it! I think one day I was skiing in with Ed Fowler and said "take this one!" He said "whaaaat - bumps?" I said "whaaaaat bumps!"

cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
Wasn’t me. I didn’t start really skiing bumps locally until around 2000. I have skied comps at Whitetail and Roundtop, but wasn’t around for the days of the Liberty comps
cj68
February 7, 2022
35 posts
I’ve skied that line before… lol
cj68
February 8, 2022
35 posts

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

Are you that guy that would show up at Ski Liberty back in the day in 1995-97 for the bump competition skiing the zipper line that I got my clocked cleaned by several times?

I thought about this some and I bet the guy you were up against was a buddy of mine who now runs the park at Liberty. For a long time it was just the two of us running around from resort to resort chasing the best bumps... ah, the good ol' days.

Crush
February 8, 2022
1,271 posts

cj68 wrote:

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

I thought about this some and I bet the guy you were up against was a buddy of mine who now runs the park at Liberty. For a long time it was just the two of us running around from resort to resort chasing the best bumps... ah, the good ol' days.

HEH - could be I remember  he tore an ACL or something and was out of action for a while - I was the guy on 207 cm K2 TNC's skiing the tops lol. Hey what do you think of Volk Walls? I used to see a couple of pairs where the Deer Valley bump training was going on. Seems like a compromise but might be a whip-y carve-bump ski ? I dunno ...

camp
February 8, 2022
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

1644355210_gawvywdnwsps.jpgDoes Anyone know what the logo on her left shoulder is? Been seeing that all season watching World Cup thinking that it’s the truckers mudflaps logo

cj68
February 8, 2022 (edited February 8, 2022)
35 posts

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

HEH - could be I remember  he tore an ACL or something and was out of action for a while - I was the guy on 207 cm K2 TNC's skiing the tops lol. Hey what do you think of Volk Walls? I used to see a couple of pairs where the Deer Valley bump training was going on. Seems like a compromise but might be a whip-y carve-bump ski ? I dunno ...

Interesting. Yeah, he never tore an ACL and there seemed to be more serious bump skiers around back then, so probably somebody else.

There were two versions of the Wall Mogul (actually three, but one was not a mogul ski and was some promotional ski)... straight and shaped. Most of the competitors skied on the straight narrow version which is pretty damn stiff (similar to the old Dragonslayer) and more for competition and had a rounded tail. The shaped and shorter Wall is a good ski and skis similar to the shaped American Hart F17, but is a little stiffer and had a squared off tail.  This would be a good choice for recreational bump skiing if you can find a pair. It looks like the more recent models of the Wall are park skis. I believe the last model of both Wall Mogul skis were orange and white.

There are not as many choices in bump skis these days and it looks like the Dynastar Twister is gone, which was a good choice for recreational bumping. What I have been able to find that are currently available are:

ID One, Rossi Hero Mogul, Faction Mogul, Elan Bloodline, K2 244, Fischer Gunbarrel and Japanese Hart F17 if you can figure out how to get a pair. I can give you my perspective on all of the above, however I have not skied on all of them but have a pretty good understanding of what most of these skis are about. A couple of the local skiers were able to score the previous model Faction for $199 on Sierra Trading Post and they have almost identical dimensions to the ID One (rumor is the new Faction is improved over the previous all black version). One of our crew has the Japanese Harts and loves them... he was on Twisters previously.

cj68
February 8, 2022
35 posts

Kappa

camp wrote:

1644355210_gawvywdnwsps.jpgDoes Anyone know what the logo on her left shoulder is? Been seeing that all season watching World Cup thinking that it’s the truckers mudflaps logo

Crush
February 9, 2022
1,271 posts

cj68 wrote:

Bro - are you the logo ninja !?!??! Very impressive!

OMG I feel it is boiling up inside of me I may order this idoneusa.com

411 says it is a little more torsionally stiff than the G model which works for me and I don't weigh a lot so this might be fun out here in North Lake Tahoe as we have not had any new snow in a month grrrrr kinda cut-up/variable/decomposing snow and a little bumped up so some nice flex-y skis I can put my feet together and whip around and absorb might be nice and give the carving a break.

Kappa

camp wrote:

cj68
February 9, 2022
35 posts

MR-D might be too light of a ski as it’s designed for junior skiers. For adults, if you are on the lighter side, the MR-CE is a good choice, otherwise the MR-SG. I have both and like them both.

Crush wrote:

cj68 wrote:

Bro - are you the logo ninja !?!??! Very impressive!

OMG I feel it is boiling up inside of me I may order this idoneusa.com

411 says it is a little more torsionally stiff than the G model which works for me and I don't weigh a lot so this might be fun out here in North Lake Tahoe as we have not had any new snow in a month grrrrr kinda cut-up/variable/decomposing snow and a little bumped up so some nice flex-y skis I can put my feet together and whip around and absorb might be nice and give the carving a break.

Kappa

camp wrote:

Crush
February 9, 2022 (edited February 9, 2022)
1,271 posts

Hiya what about the MR-G  in a 168 here

idoneusa.com

I am only 5' 8" and 150 lbs ?

Nah skip it I need torsional stiffness and the CE is for a "line-backer" as described in the vid I think I'll stick to my plan.

hang on hang on I think I saw the wrong model vid the CE sounds like me in a 172 hmmm decisions, decisions ...

cj68
February 10, 2022 (edited February 10, 2022)
35 posts
Mik Kingsbury is about your size and skis on the MR-CE in 172… he’s hardly a linebacker. The MR-CE in 172 is an awesome ski
cj68
February 10, 2022
35 posts

Low 50s, sunny and soft yesterday on Upper Eastwind. This is the first good build of the season, thanks to SuicideSix.1644510932_nyspfigxyfyi.jpg

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.