Vail Resorts - PA Resorts - How are they doing?
16 posts
11 users
2k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago (edited one month ago)
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,436 posts

Well, it is now June 1, 5 months are Vail Resorts (VR) took ownership of 7S, HV and LM. What have they accomplished to integrate these resorts into the Vail family?. I would like to present some kind of positive news and reserve judgement. But after 5 months, you would think they could get their IT guy off his keister to change the websites! After 5 months they're still using Nutting's websites and advertising Nutting's golf course and real estate company. You can still get the HV video conditions report from last winter! On top of that, the Hidden Valley community, a community of 1,100 home owners, wrote Vail a welcome letter and an invitation to communicate with the community. The response.....nothing. This what you could call corporate neglect. The same stupidity that got them into hot water last year with several of their resorts.

Come on VR, get your act together and make us Laurels skiers proud.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
283 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Well, it is now June 1, 5 months are Vail Resorts (VR) took ownership of 7S, HV and LM. What have they accomplished to integrate these resorts into the Vail family?. I would like to present some kind of positive news and reserve judgement. But after 5 months, you would think they could get their IT guy off his keister to change the websites! After 5 months they're still using Nutting's websites and advertising Nutting's golf course and real estate company. You can still get the HV video conditions report from last winter! On top of that, the Hidden Valley community, a community of 1,100 home owners, wrote Vail a welcome letter and an invitation to communicate with the community. The response.....nothing. This what you could call corporate neglect. The same stupidity that got them into hot water last year with several of their resorts.

Come on VR, get your act together and make us Laurels skiers proud.

5 months isn't unreasonable for a web migration IMO, particularly if they have to do 3 at once. Now, if it's September, that would be another story.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,938 posts
I want to know if the lease for Laurel transferred yet.
one month ago
1,436 posts

Can you check with your State Park buddies?

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I want to know if the lease for Laurel transferred yet.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Leo
one month ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
299 posts

This is as trivial as my LM complaint which turned out to be the DNRC and not Vail.  But I went to HV to take my sons fishing today -- something we've done for years there as homeowners, and all of the parking near Lake George is now either blocked off or has signage indicating it's a "Fire Lane/Tow Away Zone."

None of the areas in question would ever be used by a firetruck, not that there's any activity to speak of at any of the buildings.  If the Kettlers and Nutting could go 40 years without someone from Somerset County (LOL) breathing down their necks about fire lanes, I'm pretty sure Vail can too. 

Again, trivial complaint?  Yes.  Comes across as cold, unwelcoming, corporate bureaucracy?  Yes.  Very much so.   

ZARDOG
27 days ago
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
107 posts

It tool vail a while to migrate web changeover.  

Most companies have plans but are still in shock mode because of labor prices, and material prices.  

IT people move around for $$$. 

Does anybody see any activity building lifts at  JFBB? the large capital projects are the most important.

HVdad
17 days ago (edited 17 days ago)
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
66 posts
Early indicators are not good at all. 7S hotel, convention and hospitality (part of Vail Resorts, Inc., not Nutting Enterprises), completely botched the ACBA Bench and Bar Convention this weekend., i.e., reservation system down for over a month, couldn't make bookings, employees very unhappy with the relative chaos at 7S. There has been zero communication between Vail Resorts, Inc and the 1100+ property owners at Hidden Valley, with similar radio silence with the homeowners at 7S. No communications regarding the upcoming season; no communiucation regarding changes or investments in the future; no communications regarding strategies re. how Vail will work in partnership with local communities and businesses. As my young son would say, "it looks like the start of a full-blown s#@t show. Apart from that, the Vail staff in Denver seem to be right on top of things. :-)
dclivejazz
15 days ago
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
38 posts

HVdad wrote:

Early indicators are not good at all. 7S hotel, convention and hospitality (part of Vail Resorts, Inc., not Nutting Enterprises), completely botched the ACBA Bench and Bar Convention this weekend., i.e., reservation system down for over a month, couldn't make bookings, employees very unhappy with the relative chaos at 7S. There has been zero communication between Vail Resorts, Inc and the 1100+ property owners at Hidden Valley, with similar radio silence with the homeowners at 7S. No communications regarding the upcoming season; no communiucation regarding changes or investments in the future; no communications regarding strategies re. how Vail will work in partnership with local communities and businesses. As my young son would say, "it looks like the start of a full-blown s#@t show. Apart from that, the Vail staff in Denver seem to be right on top of things. :-)

This why “little things” like the complete disarray of the men’s room at Liberty towards the end of last season matter. They reflect a corporate breakdown on more important issues. I hope Epic will get it together in these regards. I’m renewing my Epic Local pass one more year, mostly because I like to go to the local places and considered access to 7S and Hidden Valley a plus. But I won’t keep renewing if they operate them incorrectly. 

15 days ago
1,436 posts
In response to my enquiry, an employee told me that the websites are down at all 3 resorts. They indicated that they have been working on the websites but have had some technical issues to overcome. I suggested that more PR and communication would help get their local customers more comfortable with the new ownership.
Laurel Highlands
15 days ago (edited 15 days ago)
Member since 10/29/2013 🔗
40 posts

It amazes me that a company could spend $118M+ and go through all the related steps of an acquisition like this, and then do so little afterwards.  The strategy sees simply to buy up whatever they can with the assumption that everything has been running well and throw an Epic pass on it and hope for the best.  Meanwhile. there is lots of work and investment that needs to be done to bring these resorts up to thier potential, but no sign thus far that they are up for that.   

Honestly don't know how this is going to work in the end without some bold vision;  These are 4 season resorts, where the driving revenue factors have been, skiing, real estate, and other summer/off season activities which would all cross benefit each other and marketed together.  Vail seems only interested in skiing and Epic pass sales specifically, with other activities still under separate ownership with dffering agenda.  

snowsmith wrote:

In response to my enquiry, an employee told me that the websites are down at all 3 resorts. They indicated that they have been working on the websites but have had some technical issues to overcome. I suggested that more PR and communication would help get their local customers more comfortable with the new ownership. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
15 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,809 posts

snowsmith wrote:

All three website homepages looked fine when I looked today.  What struck me is that they actually look different.  Meaning 7Springs, HV, Laurel homepages are actually somewhat unique.  They don't look like the template that was used for Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop.

Leo
15 days ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
299 posts

I might be misunderstanding the question and your response...but the HV website looks the same as it always has.  In other words:  Vail hasn't done anything to it.

marzNC wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

All three website homepages looked fine when I looked today.  What struck me is that they actually look different.  Meaning 7Springs, HV, Laurel homepages are actually somewhat unique.  They don't look like the template that was used for Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop.

8 days ago
1,436 posts

The reason the website look different is because they are the old Nutting websites. Notice the webcam images have not changed in weeks. Wouldn't Vail Resorts have a template to use for these websites since all of their resorts follow a similar template? It seems like it should not be that difficult to make the 7S/HV/LM websites look like Vail websites. Of course, maybe they're dealing with the lack of investment from the Beancounter Mauch era in hardware and the old Commodore 64 file server can't handle the new websites. I want to be positive, but I have yet seem anything positive to cheer about. From a resort standpoint, the could change the name of Hidden Valley to Death Valley given how little is happening there. Thank the great spirit for the HV community which has all kind of social events scheduled.

Leo wrote:

I might be misunderstanding the question and your response...but the HV website looks the same as it always has.  In other words:  Vail hasn't done anything to it.

marzNC wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Scott - DCSki Editor
8 days ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,187 posts
I don't have any inside info on the web sites, but I suspect corporate is working on an updated web infrastructure for all of their resorts, and when they roll that out (later this summer?), any newly purchased properties will be included.  You'll notice that all of their older ski areas (Vail, Beaver Creek, Whitetail, etc.) have nearly identical web sites.  They're clearly all running on the same platform with minor variations, and economy of scale means they don't have separate web developers working at each ski area coming up with different designs and backends.  I think we'll see all of the resort web sites update at the same time, and that's when HVR/SS/LM will be refreshed.  Again, no inside info here, but as a web developer I would bet that's what's going on -- resources are being applied towards a future rollout instead of trying to jerry rig older web sites.
dclivejazz
8 days ago
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
38 posts

Scott wrote:

I don't have any inside info on the web sites, but I suspect corporate is working on an updated web infrastructure for all of their resorts, and when they roll that out (later this summer?), any newly purchased properties will be included.  You'll notice that all of their older ski areas (Vail, Beaver Creek, Whitetail, etc.) have nearly identical web sites.  They're clearly all running on the same platform with minor variations, and economy of scale means they don't have separate web developers working at each ski area coming up with different designs and backends.  I think we'll see all of the resort web sites update at the same time, and that's when HVR/SS/LM will be refreshed.  Again, no inside info here, but as a web developer I would bet that's what's going on -- resources are being applied towards a future rollout instead of trying to jerry rig older web sites.

That makes sense but also broaches the issue of how poorly generic their sites are now. Not to mention unreliable when it comes to conditions and trail updates. Maybe they will address this. We’ll see.

Thefirewarde
8 days ago
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
80 posts
If 7S loses their award winning local snow reporting, that'll be a good canary in the coal mine.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?