Laurel Highland Resorts 2022 - 2023 7S, HV, LM, BK
6 posts
5 users
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
4 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,957 posts
I thought I'd start a new thread for Western PA resorts. We are beginning to see a few threads about these resorts. Let's keep it all here. Maybe I should include other Vail-owned resorts like Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop? Perhaps there will be crossover now that they're all on one pass?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,871 posts

Maybe, maybe not in terms of crossover just because an Epic pass is good at all six locations.  Driving distance matters unless the destination is significantly different.  People from Pittsburgh and DC/NoVA are likely to drive to Timberline or Snowshoe if they want WV snow conditions and terrain.  Driving past Whitetail from DC to ski Laurel or the other western PA mountains, maybe not.  Would someone from Pittsburgh drive all the way to Whitetail?  Certainly wouldn't be worth driving to Liberty or Roundtop.

My sense is that neither Peak nor VR has convinced DC/Baltimore folks that it's worth driving up to Hunter for early season turns.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
3 days ago
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
734 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I thought I'd start a new thread for Western PA resorts. We are beginning to see a few threads about these resorts. Let's keep it all here. Maybe I should include other Vail-owned resorts like Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop? Perhaps there will be crossover now that they're all on one pass?

I agree with marzNC that it’s probably better to cluster the Laurel Highlands resorts into one thread and then keep the former Snowtime resorts (Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop) in another cluster.  These 2 clusters differ considerably in weather conditions and in the population bases, even though I ski both regions.

Woody

SeniorSki
3 days ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
14 posts
Coming from DC area these would be my day trip go to areas. 

Around an hour drive time. White Tail only, Liberty and Round top get packed, basically a newbie mountains, need to be on your guard. 

Around two hour plus drive time. In order of preference, Timberline, Canaan ( needs lots of natural snow ) Blue Mt ( pushing the drive time cap ) Massanutten ( even better draw when all upgrades are completed ) Wisp, then Mid PA resorts based on trail count and snow. 
Of course conditions play a big part in choosing. 
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
2 days ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
1,957 posts
Okay, it's settled. Laurel Highlands resort trip reports and general question post here. So who made it to 7S? Mrs. Crazie and I are targeting next week.
Grumpy dad
2 hours ago
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
45 posts

Ice is ice no matter where you go. Snowshoe is great for when there is powder and you have a mid week day off to go (or two) from the PGH area but it's QUITE the commitment if you have a family IMO.

Spring skiing Snowshoe is where it's at (as long as Cupp is open otherwise why bother)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?