Season Closings
44 posts
21 users
8k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
February 19, 2023
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Feel free to post confirmed season closing dates to this thread.

The Homestead in Virginia announced today that Monday, February 20, 2023 will be the last day of their 2022-2023 snowsports season.  They will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday and note that all rentals will be complimentary that day with the purchase of a lift ticket.

meredithb_14
February 21, 2023
Member since 12/13/2022 🔗
8 posts
Not a season closing but Whitetail is closed this week (2/20/23) until, I believe, Friday or Saturday due to the high temps. Potential for snowmaking at the end of the week is what their Instagram post mentioned.
mdr227
February 24, 2023
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Looks like Wintergreen might be the first one to close for the season with an announced date of Sunday the 26th being their last day of the season, though going to be a rough weekend there as they were hit really hard this week with the warm weather.  
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2023
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Wintergreen goes down !!!   Actually they *look* closed now. 

The southeast has experienced two consecutive weeks of record warm temperatures far above the seasonal norms for February. In spite of a valiant effort to keep the ski season going by making snow at every opportunity, we’ve made the difficult decision to conclude the 2022-23 winter season this Sunday, February 26 at 5:00pm. Please check our website and mountain cameras for the latest information on conditions, and what will be open for skiing and riding on Saturday and Sunday. All Mission: Affordable season passes will be valid both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. We would like to thank our Season Passholders, Members, Homeowners, and all Wintergreen Resort Guests for skiing and riding with us this winter, and we look forward to kicking off another ski season next December.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
wgo
February 24, 2023 (edited February 24, 2023)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
dclivejazz
February 24, 2023
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts
Just got an email from Vail that Whitetail is closing after Sunday 2/26. Haven't been out there yet (or anywhere, despite having an Epic pass) because it looks so lousy. What a bummer of a season. 
chuck_wow
February 24, 2023
Member since 01/14/2023 🔗
54 posts
Damn that's an early early closing for Whitetail. Anybody wanna make a guess when Lib and Roundtop call it quits?
February 25, 2023
925 posts
Well.  I have to give WG credit for going all out.  Max snowguns on and looks much better now.  Heading out now.  
1677333788_ksaibpohzczn.jpg
mdr227
February 26, 2023
193 posts
Looks like today is the last day for Silver Creek to be open, can't ever recall it being closed in February.
SeniorSki
February 26, 2023
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Yes, surprised that they are closing silver creek. Looks like they still have decent snow. Maybe no bookings at the lodge? 
wgo
February 26, 2023
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
It was getting pretty thin in spots when I was there on 2/20. Bear Claw was in good shape but Fox Chase for example had multiple thin areas to avoid on the upper half.
February 26, 2023
925 posts

Official list day at Wintergreen.  View from top.   lapped highlands about 8 times and then time to leave.   Farewell. 

1677435123_zmzbawsyxpqm.jpg

Grumpy dad
March 1, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

7Springs is eyeing up March 19th as their last day but they may be forced to close sooner if we get too many more warm/rain days.  I asked about if they were planning to cease midweek operations and it was not known what their plans were there.  

FamouslyHot
March 1, 2023
Member since 02/21/2023 🔗
1 posts

Cataloochee is set to close for the season after 4:30 today

SeniorSki
March 1, 2023
139 posts
Maybe a bit too late, if resorts can hold on to the 7th then there looks like a long run of 10 to 14 days of cold weather and potential snow events. Turning the guns back on might be just more bleeding of the bank. Hopefully we will get a big surprise snowstorm in March. Many times Ma nature balances herself out. Got to get snow eventually but will it be this year? 
Timothy.grasso
March 6, 2023
Member since 11/20/2018 🔗
70 posts
Canaan Valley is closed for the season. I wish they would get some $$ and invest in some (more) snow making equipment.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2023 (edited March 6, 2023)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Laurel was closed this past weekend due to a widespread power outage. They hope to open this Friday if the snowpack holds and the groomer can do some magic. Laurel will not make snow again this season because the rented air compressors have been returned. So, Laurel may or may not be closed for the season. Check their website.
Rickh
March 6, 2023 (edited March 6, 2023)
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Let's hope Timberline is successful in convincing the state to let them take over the operations of CV skiing. It's still going to cost money to get CVR up to speed, but as we all know if it can be done the Perfect team can do it, and fast.

Can you say Valley Pass

And if you had not heard, see last few sentences.

https://wvpublic.org/ski-resort-employees-struggle-for-housing-even-after-large-investments/#:~:text=Timberline%20Mountain%20Ski%20Resort%20General,Joint%20Commision%20on%20Economic%20Development.

Bonzski
March 6, 2023
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Rickh wrote:

Let's hope Timberline is successful in convincing the state to let them take over the operations of CV skiing. It's still going to cost money to get CVR up to speed, but as we all know if it can be done the Perfect team can do it, and fast.

Can you say Valley Pass

And if you had not heard, see last few sentences.

https://wvpublic.org/ski-resort-employees-struggle-for-housing-even-after-large-investments/#:~:text=Timberline%20Mountain%20Ski%20Resort%20General,Joint%20Commision%20on%20Economic%20Development.

I have no doubt the Perfects could pull it off. The question is how much of a % pass increase would you tolerate for a Valley Pass?

mdr227
March 6, 2023
193 posts

Yet their snow report still says open.   

Looking at the web cams all Winter I don't know how they made any money this Winter, the crowds were so incredibly sparse all Winter.

dclivejazz
March 6, 2023
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts
A little while ago Vail emailed that Roundtop’s last day will be 3/12. There are a few cold evenings ahead so I wonder if they’ll bother making more snow between now and then. 
SeniorSki
March 8, 2023
139 posts
Massanutten is not throwing in the towel, they are blowing a ton of snow this morning. 
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2023
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
This will be the last weekend for Laurel.
imp - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2023
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Hidden Valley will do1 more weekend, & springs to go till first weekend in April
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Bryce went back and forth about when to re-open and when to close.  Final decision is that today, March 19, is closing day for 2022-23.
Grumpy dad
March 21, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

7Springs has a very nice base on Avalanche, boomerang, wagner, those trails around wagner.  I think it will make it to April 2nd.  Will they stay open?  Well seeing them shut down HV even on weekends kinda has me concerned that 7S will also shut down April 2nd even if they hold onto a nice base. The rain/warm temps though will make it look ugly and will push away more people from coming.  The last couple of weekends have been fairly busy. Last Sunday the cafeteria area was about 65% full of people sitting at tables taking a break.  

Slopeside however, they continue to 'break down' their salad bar earlier and earlier on Sundays.  That's when we liked to go because of lower crowds and the cheap salad bar :)

chuck_wow
March 21, 2023
54 posts
Never had salad bar there. Usually if I'm at 7S I get a Pittsburgh hot plate at the main lodge.
Crush
March 21, 2023
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

What does that consist of? Whatever it is that just made me hungry!

chuck_wow wrote:

Never had salad bar there. Usually if I'm at 7S I get a Pittsburgh hot plate at the main lodge.
chuck_wow
March 21, 2023
54 posts

Kinda like a salad bar but you need a glass table.

Crush wrote:

What does that consist of? Whatever it is that just made me hungry!

chuck_wow wrote:

Grumpy dad
March 21, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Slopeside menu has improved, but the execution of the food is just ok.  Undercooked crabbed stuffed shrimp, the filet was the smallest Ive ever seen, and it's obvious all of this is prepared prior and frozen.  It's rather pricey too.  Sadly, it doesnt include soup/salad, you pay another I think $10 for that.  

The buffet I believe they still have Fri/Sat.  It's pricey and the food is usually interesting but kinda meh...usually dried out.  

The only reason I go there is for that soup/salad bar.  The soups are usually pretty darn good.  The salad is general low quality stuff with limited options but it hits the spot.   They usually also include one hot entree with a warm veggie and potatoes...and you get this for $14.60 with your epic pass.  Not bad considering McDonald's will run you $11 for even smaller beef patties, subpar food and service even though they are all getting paid double what they were before?  

7S is notorious for not being very consistent.  As such, when it's kinda not busy like on a Sunday night..things tend to shut down without notice.  So this turns guests away who just leave without eating.   I think if people knew that this salad bar existed, they would stay open for longer.  Instead they have been shutting down earlier and earlier.  

The other thing that I noticed about 7S is it is becoming more of a weekend place than a weeklong vacation spot for guests.  Weekdays are DEAD.  You could ski, swim, bowl, mini golf, eat a great ice cream cone, roller skate and just enjoy the scenery with almost no one around you.  Sadly, I bet now they are also shutting down many of those services mid week due to the lack of people.  And what occurs is, less and less people return for mid week knowing that everything is shut down.  

It's a vicious circle.  7S needs to add consistency and ADVERTISE to their guests!

Put a sign near the goggle and near the ticket area.  Soup/Salad/1 hot entree only $18! Open until 7pm Today!  

chuck_wow wrote:

Crush
March 21, 2023
1,271 posts
well, it sounds like it is cheaper than Deer Valley, tho Royal Street cafe yum 100%
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Sugar Mountain in NC is closing for the season at 4pm on Thursday, March 28.  The rain forecast for the weekend meant staying open for one more weekend didn't make sense.

So the lifts in NC, TN, VA are done spinning for the 2022-23 season.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2023
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

I think the reason no one is showing up mid-week is because it looks like this. Only diehards come to ski on this stuff..

1680022956_pvrgpiczazmo.jpg

Grumpy dad wrote:

Slopeside menu has improved, but the execution of the food is just ok.  Undercooked crabbed stuffed shrimp, the filet was the smallest Ive ever seen, and it's obvious all of this is prepared prior and frozen.  It's rather pricey too.  Sadly, it doesnt include soup/salad, you pay another I think $10 for that.  

The buffet I believe they still have Fri/Sat.  It's pricey and the food is usually interesting but kinda meh...usually dried out.  

The only reason I go there is for that soup/salad bar.  The soups are usually pretty darn good.  The salad is general low quality stuff with limited options but it hits the spot.   They usually also include one hot entree with a warm veggie and potatoes...and you get this for $14.60 with your epic pass.  Not bad considering McDonald's will run you $11 for even smaller beef patties, subpar food and service even though they are all getting paid double what they were before?  

7S is notorious for not being very consistent.  As such, when it's kinda not busy like on a Sunday night..things tend to shut down without notice.  So this turns guests away who just leave without eating.   I think if people knew that this salad bar existed, they would stay open for longer.  Instead they have been shutting down earlier and earlier.  

The other thing that I noticed about 7S is it is becoming more of a weekend place than a weeklong vacation spot for guests.  Weekdays are DEAD.  You could ski, swim, bowl, mini golf, eat a great ice cream cone, roller skate and just enjoy the scenery with almost no one around you.  Sadly, I bet now they are also shutting down many of those services mid week due to the lack of people.  And what occurs is, less and less people return for mid week knowing that everything is shut down.  

It's a vicious circle.  7S needs to add consistency and ADVERTISE to their guests!

Put a sign near the goggle and near the ticket area.  Soup/Salad/1 hot entree only $18! Open until 7pm Today!  

chuck_wow wrote:

chuck_wow
March 28, 2023 (edited March 28, 2023)
54 posts
Jesus man. Looks like a venue for motocross or maybe a tractor pull. But not downhill snowsports. That's an open resort? People buying day tickets for that? I have not enough info to have an opinion about whether it's bad weather, bad luck, or bad management. I just know that looks depressing.
chuck_wow
March 28, 2023
54 posts

Anybody thinking about driving their Epic pass North for end of season turns should know the following about Stowe: the reported closing date of April 16 is slightly misleading. The Stowe Gondola will close this coming Sunday. The Spruce side of the resort will cease lift ops this Sunday as well. Tollhouse double has already closed for the season. The Quad and the Sunrise Sixpack are scheduled to run through April 16. Sounds like they are the only lifts that will spin through April 16. Looking at a storm coming through tomorrow night. 

Crush
March 28, 2023
1,271 posts

OK LMAO !

or a giant mud-wrestling venue?

chuck_wow wrote:

Jesus man. Looks like a venue for motocross or maybe a tractor pull. But not downhill snowsports. That's an open resort? People buying day tickets for that? I have not enough info to have an opinion about whether it's bad weather, bad luck, or bad management. I just know that looks depressing.
chuck_wow
March 28, 2023
54 posts

I'm sure its still prime for Pittsburgh hot plate

Crush wrote:

OK LMAO !

or a giant mud-wrestling venu

rbrtlav
March 31, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

chuck_wow wrote:

They really need to add another camera on Philips run or fawn lane. The overview camera makes it look like nothing should be open. I suspect Phillips and fawn are actually not that bad… but it’s hard to tell. 

Grumpy dad
March 31, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

I remember going to Holiday valley one year, I think it was mid April.  They had tons of snow but most of the slopes were closed.  That was disappointing. 

chuck_wow wrote:

Anybody thinking about driving their Epic pass North for end of season turns should know the following about Stowe: the reported closing date of April 16 is slightly misleading. The Stowe Gondola will close this coming Sunday. The Spruce side of the resort will cease lift ops this Sunday as well. Tollhouse double has already closed for the season. The Quad and the Sunrise Sixpack are scheduled to run through April 16. Sounds like they are the only lifts that will spin through April 16. Looking at a storm coming through tomorrow night. 

Grumpy dad
March 31, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Here's your snow report from 7Springs Mah tin (Pittsburghese for Mountain)
Sadly it is raining, and it plans to continue to rain all day, night, and into Saturday...then it will take a break for a few hours, and then ...RAIN SOME MORE!  
Oh how this place used to get great snowfall every year.  Sad to see this happen worse every single year.  I can't imagine what it will look like in 10 years.  Grass skiing anyone?

1680284920_gfntgorncumn.jpg

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2023
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
On the optimistic side, I saw a long range forcast for next winter that indicated a switch to a El Nino pattern, which typically produces cold and snowy winters on the East Coast.
Crush
April 1, 2023
1,271 posts
eeesh OK well I had something funny to say here but I think I'll hold off I can hear the potential axe-grinding ...
bob
April 1, 2023
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

I skied A-Basin n conditions like that on a closing day a long long time ago. They had to use the cats to bring down enough snow to enable people to ski back to the bottom of Lenawee. Parts of the trail were exactly one cat track wide.

Bird Dog
10 months ago
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

A-Basin is still open......Frontside only.

Their final day this season is June 4th.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.