What's your pass plan next season?
65 posts
35 users
9k+ views
chuck_wow
February 26, 2023
Member since 01/14/2023 🔗
54 posts

I'm between DC and Balt and Im thinking of switching from Epic to Icon. Feels like Liberty Whitetail and Round can't be counted on to make snow and spin the lifts. Used to do lots of half day trips to those spots but not this year. Think I'd rather have Ikon and have Snowshoe and Killington (among others) and just give up the idea of half day skiing near home. 

What's your plan?

MarkRebuck
February 26, 2023
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts

i’ll probably stick with epic day passes.  i’m in northern va, about 90 minutes from whitetail and liberty.  and when i go, i take a full day (usually during the week to avoid crowds).

snowshoe or killington is a lot of travel.  the simple reality is that “daytrips from DC area” really means epic.  i wish liberty and whitetail were split between epic and icon so each would have to compete.

to be fair:  vail tried.  they blew snow when they could.  the weather simply didn’t cooperate.

my mistake this year was “waiting for things to get better”.   had a five day pass and didn’t start using it until late.  

JohnL
February 26, 2023
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

If you live in western FFX or Loudon counties, day trip can include TM.

But Saturdays there have gotten crowded.

Mongo
February 27, 2023 (edited February 27, 2023)
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

Snowshoe is very easy - at least from northern Virginia. Four hours each way, go up Friday come back Sunday evening no problem. Killington is less do-able as a weekend trip from northern Virginia (8 hours). 

The problem with Snowshoe is not the travel but the crowds, which are just incredibly awful. It is worth the extra travel to VT to escape that. Maybe going to Killington spoiled me for Snowshoe, but it's increasingly hard to tolerate Snowshoe lift lines.

Really can't see getting Epic for some relatively weak PA hills.

Frankly I am not sure my Ikon pass really paid for itself this season and I'm a tad bitter about it.

MarkRebuck wrote:

snowshoe or killington is a lot of travel.  the simple reality is that “daytrips from DC area” really means epic.  i wish liberty and whitetail were split between epic and icon so each would have to compete.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
dclivejazz
February 27, 2023
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts
I may downgrade to an Epic local senior pass next year, or not get one at all. This year has been extremely disappointing and unfortunately it may not be an aberration going forward. I thought for sure this year would have to be better than last year, but alas.

Meanwhile I also no longer give Vail the benefit of the doubt about how they are running the local areas. The weather this year was obviously beyond their control, but the overall way they operate leaves something to be desired.
newbie2022
February 27, 2023
Member since 01/26/2023 🔗
13 posts

I think we'll be biting the bullet and upgrading from Indy pass to Epic (potentially just the local northeast one). Indy pass was great for us this year with enough easy day and weekend trips from DC to more than break even on the value. My partner and I tried really hard to convince some non-passholding friends in DC to try out something new like Massanutten this year, but everyone still just wants to go to Whitetail.

The appeal of unlimited days and easy day/half-day trips from DC to WT/RT/Liberty is too big to overcome when more than anything we need hours on the snow to improve and progress as skiers. We'll get in either a trip up north or out west to extract big value from the passes and whenever we decide we want some lessons probably go back to someplace like Bryce or Wisp where we've had outstanding personalized lessons vs some less impressive lessons at Whitetail.

All that said, I'll be really sad to leave behind the indy pass. We've loved the character and variation in the places we've been on it and I'm sad we'll be trading away character in exchange for extra volume of sameness when skiing locally, but trying to juggle limited days at the local-ish mountains and have it align with work obligations, non-holidays weekends (our own restriction, not indy pass), and good conditions was its own burden this year.

KTMan
February 27, 2023
Member since 02/13/2023 🔗
12 posts
I'm a noob here, so grain of salt and all that, but I am strongly considering the indy pass for next season.  I'm a newcomer to the DC Skiing and have been trying to go mostly Solo because I don't want to drag my friends day down sticking to the bunny hell and waiting for me to pick myself up.  The indy pass giving me 2 days at a variety of resorts will encourage me to get out and explore the area a bit, I hope. 
oddballstocks
February 27, 2023
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts
I'm in W PA and ski the local Laurel Highlands stuff.  Had the EPIC Northeast pass this year, I'll probably do the same next year.

I have some friends who went for the full Epic to avoid the blackout dates, it wasn't worth it for them.  Blackouts aren't an issue especially considering the lack of terrain this year.  For me a blackout day means "avoid because it'll be crowded."

We purchased passes for the entire family, but next year I'll only purchase them for half and use buddy passes for the rest.  This seems to be a common sentiment.

I have a feeling pass purchases in the MidA are going to be far below normal this spring.
Grumpy dad
February 27, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

As someone that lives near 7S I can say that they tried with minimal efforts. 

There were many opportunities they had to blow snow and they just didnt, with absolutely minimal base.  They banked on natural snowfall and did not bank on warmer temps/rain...which has been the growing trend.   I realize they had to stay profitable, and have no idea how much they spend on snowmaking, but snowmaking was not as wide spread as it has been in previous years.  

And now they are screwed.

Lost boy has no snow on it.  The one park they have open, has no snow within 15' of the tow rope.

North face lodge, has no snow running up to it, and north face lift is about to give up the amount of snow needed to keep that runout open.   I expect north face area to shut down entirely soon. 

They may be able to hold out wagner and the trails around for another week, and maybe avalanche area (not the trail though).  Back to November 25th skiing next week and potentially closed for good the week after.  They are already talking about just trying to make it to the middle of March and shutting it down for the season. 

chuck_wow
February 27, 2023
54 posts

As someone who rode maybe 8 days at 7Sprangs this year (a single season record for me) I felt the difference in crowd flow there due to Vail acquisition.

Grumpy dad wrote:

There were many opportunities they had to blow snow and they just didnt, with absolutely minimal base.  They banked on natural snowfall and did not bank on warmer temps/rain...which has been the growing trend.   I realize they had to stay profitable, and have no idea how much they spend on snowmaking, but snowmaking was not as wide spread as it has been in previous years.  

Lost boy has no snow on it.  The one park they have open, has no snow within 15' of the tow rope.

North face lodge, has no snow running up to it, and north face lift is about to give up the amount of snow needed to keep that runout open.   I expect north face area to shut down entirely soon. 

They may be able to hold out wagner and the trails around for another week, and maybe avalanche area (not the trail though).  Back to November 25th skiing next week and potentially closed for good the week after.  They are already talking about just trying to make it to the middle of March and shutting it down for the season. 

oddballstocks
February 27, 2023
123 posts

Better? Worse?

I'm up there a similar amount, but arranging days to avoid crowds is second nature.  We'll go week nights after school, Sunday afternoons and mix in a good dose of Laurel Mountain around the busy times.

I think Vail shot themselves in the foot this year.  Instead of coming out with a bang is was more of a "see we are exactly as you expected us to be.."

chuck_wow wrote:

As someone who rode maybe 8 days at 7Sprangs this year (a single season record for me) I felt the difference in crowd flow there due to Vail acquisition.

Grumpy dad wrote:

newbie2022
February 27, 2023
13 posts

This is the exact situation we were in this year and I loved having the indy pass! Trying out different terrain at different places so you're not constantly lapping the hardest beginner trail at the same place but too intimidated to make the jump up to blues kept the season fresh and exciting for us.

KTMan wrote:

I'm a noob here, so grain of salt and all that, but I am strongly considering the indy pass for next season.  I'm a newcomer to the DC Skiing and have been trying to go mostly Solo because I don't want to drag my friends day down sticking to the bunny hell and waiting for me to pick myself up.  The indy pass giving me 2 days at a variety of resorts will encourage me to get out and explore the area a bit, I hope. 
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2023
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'll go Ikon base pass for Snowshoe and one trip out west. If the price is cheap I'll grab an Epic Local 4 day mid week for 7S, HV and LM.

I got skunked on both this year. I only have 6 days on my Ikon and I'm hoping for one more Snowshoe trip. I have a 7 day Epic local and have only used 2 days at 7S.  

Keith_Moon
February 27, 2023
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

Indy.  We will take the Christmas trip up to Ontario this coming December which will allow us to hit a resort newly on the Indy called Calabogie Peaks, and also maybe Greek Peak on the way back.  Too bad Montage never has snow that early.

Then back down here we can use it at Mnut, Winterplace and maybe one two other semi-local hills, like maybe Cataloochee, Bryce or Canaan.

chuck_wow
March 1, 2023
54 posts

It seemed more crowded than normal to me. I think that because 7S is part of Vail now a lot of folks like me made the choice to drive past Whitetail for better conditions at 7S. I can say this: were it not for the fact my Epic Pass worked at 7S there's no way I woulda been there MLK weekend. At that time Liberty Whitetop was like 1/3 open and gross looking. 7S at least looked inviting....

oddballstocks wrote:

Better? Worse?

I'm up there a similar amount, but arranging days to avoid crowds is second nature.  We'll go week nights after school, Sunday afternoons and mix in a good dose of Laurel Mountain around the busy times.

I think Vail shot themselves in the foot this year.  Instead of coming out with a bang is was more of a "see we are exactly as you expected us to be.."

chuck_wow wrote:

Grumpy dad wrote:

newbie2022
March 2, 2023
13 posts
Epic passes for next season going on sale March 7th, according to Whitetail's instagram 
SeniorSki
March 2, 2023
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Question, pass holders, is it unlimited skiing days at specific resort or is it X amount of skiing days at the resort during the season. Probably need to research them on line. 
newbie2022
March 3, 2023
13 posts

It depends on your pass. Indy pass is 2 days lift tickets at each member resort + 3rd day discounted (this year, tbd for next). Ikon and epic are unlimited at any resort (subject to blackout or weekday restrictions well laid out when you pick the pass). 

SeniorSki wrote:

Question, pass holders, is it unlimited skiing days at specific resort or is it X amount of skiing days at the resort during the season. Probably need to research them on line. 
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 3, 2023 (edited 11 months ago)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

I keep a journal every year of my ski days and after buying the Epic pass and Timberline Mountain pass for a few seasons, I decided this season to skip Epic and just purchase Timberline Mountain pass. So far, the choice has worked out ok. I made a trip to Waterville Valley and skied two days midweek for $132 (2 week advanced web purchase). An Indy Pass would have worked at Waterville but would have cost $270. I am now finishing up a 5 day midweek trip to Snowbasin and paid $580 for the tickets, which I purchased online 2 weeks before the trip. That’s far below what I would have paid for an Icon Pass ($1229) and the base + pass ($1,069). Note the Base + would have only given me 4 days so I would have had to purchase an additional day ticket with this pass.  That extra day would have made the cost of the Base + about the same as a full pass.

Bottom line: if you only make a few trips a year outside the region and plan to ski off-peak days, the big passes probably don’t make sense. Also, I think the sweet spot for skiing these days are independent resorts—those not on a major pass or ones that greatly limit days for major pass holders (Snowbasin for instance). My days of skiing weekends at destination resorts with a few exceptions are over.  

SeniorSki
March 3, 2023
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts

Seems complicated, use to be half day 9 to 1 for 10 bucks yeah I know those days are over, just like my straight skis. Was looking to get out this year but the local scene was terrible. I could have made timberline just never pulled the trigger. Kept waiting for that big snow week that never happened. Let’s just chalk this up to a bad year, like 72/73. I don’t think I want to chance a pass for next year locally. Will opt for an on line daily pass weeks in advance. Here’s to a better snow season 2023/24. 

jimw
March 3, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

I have had the Ikon pass for Snowshoe and to cover the "big" out west resorts for years.  It has always paid off in the past but not this year.  Only used it 3 days (Schweitzer) out of 14 days out west riding.  I went to smaller resorts with cheap tickets and no crowds ($48-113).  I'm still debating but may just buy the Snowshoe pass next season. 

johnfmh wrote:

I keep a journal every year of my ski days and after buying the Epic pass and Timberline Mountain pass for a few seasons, I decided this season to skip Epic and just purchase Timberline Mountain pass. So far, the choice has worked out ok. I made a trip to Waterville Valley and skied two days midweek for $132 (2 week advanced web purchase). An Indy Pass would have worked at Waterville but would have cost $270. I am now finishing up a 5 day midweek trip to Snowbasin and paid $580 for the tickets, which I purchased online 2 weeks before the trip. That’s far below what I would have paid for an Icon Pass ($1229) and the base + pass ($1,069). Note the Base + would have only given me 4 days so I would have had to purchase an additional day ticket with this pass.  That extra day would have made the cost of the Base + about the same as a full pass.

Bottom line: if you only make a few trips a year outside the region and plan to ski off-peak days, the big passes probably don’t make sense. Also, I think the sweet spot for skiing these days are independent resorts—those not on a major pass or ones that greatly limit days for major pass holders (Snowbasin for instance). My days of skiing weekends at destination resorts with a few exception are over.  

Bird Dog
March 3, 2023
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

IKON Pass gives me what I want:  Snowshoe, and plenty

of flexibility to go to VT or CO to follow the snow!  Also,

take a look at the Gems Pass for 2 for 1 lift tickets in CO.

Only $45 for the pass, and deals at ~ 10 resorts.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2023
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

We've had Indy+ from Season 1.  It's not worth it for local skiing.  Even in a half decent winter Blue Knob and CVR struggle to get their blue and black terrain open.  Massanutten can be a fun mountain with good cover but really really weather dependent.  Went to Bryce once, was amusing.  Montage is a fun trip but once you check it off the "been- there" list you won't be motivated to go back (think of Liberty with the front side stacked on top of the back side).

Indy+ is rewarding if you hit the road to New England, especially for holiday periods.  We've had some great days at Jay, Bolton, Magic, Cannon, Waterville and Berkshire East.  Was hoping to make it to Greek Peak with fresh snow but timing never worked out.

Now that my kids can keep up with me we are likely going to try some combo of Epic and/or Ikon for the CO and UT resorts.  I'm not a fan of Vail but we need the local PA options.  Maybe combo of Ikon and Epic and see how it shakes out with the friend/buddy/day tickets.

jimw
March 7, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Snowshoe passes are on sale today but not the Ikon. 
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bryantfsu93
March 7, 2023
Member since 01/29/2021 🔗
17 posts
This year we had the TLine and EPIC pass.  We have gone to TLine 12 times and 7S once (uggg).  We are going to okemo and stowe next week.  Was expecting to get another 5 or so days at Whitetail.  Think next year will be TLine and a 7 day epic pass.
Bird Dog
March 7, 2023
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts
EPIC Pricing for next season just hit my in box.
March 9, 2023
1,580 posts

I just picked up the 4 day Epic pass to use in the Laurel Highlands next season. Hopefully, we'll have a real winter next season.

Someone posted on Facebook that they believe the Ikon passes are going on sale 3/15 or 16. I'll renew my Ikon base for Snowshoe and what I think will be a trip to Big Sky in 2024.

I'm going to put a few more days on Ikon this year. I'm leaving for Killington in an hour. 

eggraid
March 9, 2023
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts
I'm going to do IKON again next year. We take several trips to Snowshoe (10 or so days total) and then do a few western trips of 4-5 days as well, so it is best for us financially. I'd love to throw Epic on top of that, but can't really justify it.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2023
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'll get some sort of Epic Pass, maybe the NE value pass, and perhaps a Mountain Collective for a Utah trip.
Shotmaker
March 9, 2023 (edited March 9, 2023)
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts
Snowshoe-Icon Base. Plan on skiing primarily Snowshoe then Colorado Rockies and finally Canadian Rockies (Big 3). Fitting in Jackson Hole & Big Sky as we travel north. 
Grumpy dad
March 9, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

BTW the NE pass doesnt have blackout dates for the local laurel highlands resorts.  Not sure where they got that.  

oddballstocks wrote:

I'm in W PA and ski the local Laurel Highlands stuff.  Had the EPIC Northeast pass this year, I'll probably do the same next year.

I have some friends who went for the full Epic to avoid the blackout dates, it wasn't worth it for them.  Blackouts aren't an issue especially considering the lack of terrain this year.  For me a blackout day means "avoid because it'll be crowded."

We purchased passes for the entire family, but next year I'll only purchase them for half and use buddy passes for the rest.  This seems to be a common sentiment.

I have a feeling pass purchases in the MidA are going to be far below normal this spring.
oddballstocks
March 9, 2023
123 posts

What???  If that's true then I was mislead... I contacted Epic earlier this year and they told me that all of their passes except for the full Epic had blackout dates at all resorts including the PA ones.

I guess I should have called Seven Springs or HV.

Grumpy dad wrote:

BTW the NE pass doesnt have blackout dates for the local laurel highlands resorts.  Not sure where they got that.  

oddballstocks wrote:

Moe Gull
March 9, 2023
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts
Indy pass has grown so Ill have to consider it.
Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
March 10, 2023
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts

Looks like it's gonna be Timberline and Ikon passes again next year.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 10, 2023
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I'm hoping to get a WV passport for my son unless it goes the way of the PA SnowPass...

SkiPA is welcome to bring back the 4th & 5th grade pass though
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 10, 2023
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

oddballstocks wrote:

What???  If that's true then I was mislead... I contacted Epic earlier this year and they told me that all of their passes except for the full Epic had blackout dates at all resorts including the PA ones.

Definitely not.  In fact that is why I bought the Epic Local pass last year, just in case it worked out that way.  Thank goodness not, but I might make that bet again.   

Grumpy dad wrote:

only purchase them for half and use buddy passes for the rest.  This seems to be a common sentiment.

Ditto !

rbrtlav
March 10, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Epic almost had too many pass options this year that caused some confusion. All of the actual epic passes that were not listed as midweek had no blackout dates in this area. (NE value pass only has restrictions at Stowe, Okemo, Hunter, and Mt Snow both this season and next)

However, where things got interesting was for people that got the Epic Day pass (22 resorts) with no holiday access. While this pass is the ticket to resort access at ~$40 a day, it does have blackout dates at all resorts. I believe many of the people in this area that had no interest in traveling got that epic day pass. To make matters worse there was also some conflicting information on their website as what days were blacked out. (I think some place had only the Saturday of MLK weekend blocked, even though it should've been the whole weekend) 

Hope this helps some as people are making choices.

pagamony wrote:

oddballstocks wrote:

Definitely not.  In fact that is why I bought the Epic Local pass last year, just in case it worked out that way.  Thank goodness not, but I might make that bet again.   

Grumpy dad wrote:

only purchase them for half and use buddy passes for the rest.  This seems to be a common sentiment.

Ditto !

MarkRebuck
March 11, 2023
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

However, where things got interesting was for people that got the
Epic Day pass (22 resorts) with no holiday access. While this pass is the ticket to resort access at ~$40 a day, it does have blackout dates at all resorts. I believe many of the people in this area that had no interest in traveling got that epic day pass.

That's what I did.  My plan was to ski five days at Whitetail/Liberty.  I didn't care about blackout days because "blackout days" = "crowds", and I don't do crowds.  I go midweek and not on holidays.  So the Epic Day pass worked.

...mostly :-).  I only got in two days at Whitetail and one at Liberty.  Brutal weather this year!  I'm finishing my last two days at Jack Frost next Thursday/Friday (will be my first time there).

March 16, 2023
1,580 posts

Ikon Passes are on sale today. I'll grab the Ikon Base. It's 769 with the 50 renewal discount and 10 credit for the covid lawsuit.

If you frequent Snowshoe and want the Primo upgrade, tack on another 999. Yes, you read that correctly, add 999 NOT 999 total for both - that is just insane IMO.

oddballstocks
March 16, 2023
123 posts

I was at Laurel Hill this weekend shooting the breeze with some employees and got clarification on this.

Everyone on here is correct that everything except the day passes have NO blackout dates in the Laurels.  This will be true next year as well.

rbrtlav wrote:

Epic almost had too many pass options this year that caused some confusion. All of the actual epic passes that were not listed as midweek had no blackout dates in this area. (NE value pass only has restrictions at Stowe, Okemo, Hunter, and Mt Snow both this season and next)

However, where things got interesting was for people that got the Epic Day pass (22 resorts) with no holiday access. While this pass is the ticket to resort access at ~$40 a day, it does have blackout dates at all resorts. I believe many of the people in this area that had no interest in traveling got that epic day pass. To make matters worse there was also some conflicting information on their website as what days were blacked out. (I think some place had only the Saturday of MLK weekend blocked, even though it should've been the whole weekend) 

Hope this helps some as people are making choices.

pagamony wrote:

oddballstocks wrote:

Grumpy dad wrote:

Ditto !

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2023
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Since I own real estate at an Epic Pass resort, there's not much decision making for me. So I again plan to get the Epic Local Pass which allows access to most all US Epic resorts with some restrictions at Vail, Beaver Creek and Whistler and a few others. It also provides access to 8 Pennsylvania resorts, 3 resorts in Vermont and 4 in NH. Plus the resorts they own in California, Colorado and Utah and Canada with some Holiday restrictions. I even get 5 days at Swiss resort Andermatt-Sedrum.  All this for $676. Alot cheaper than Ikon. That said, if I did not own real estate at a Epic Pass resort, I might consider switching passes from year to year. I did have the Indy pass last year before 7S/LM/HV became Epic resorts. And I did ski at 6 Indy resorts. 

It's hard to beat the Epic Pass. And I think they did a decent job of operating 7S/HV/LM this year despite the weather challenges. Anyone who says the held back on snow making does not know what they are talking about. That is not to say there could be some improvement in the overall operations.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I'm likely to stick with the combination of Full Ikon with the MCP for trips out west.  Probably going to get Indy again, mostly with an idea of checking out a few midwest ski areas while visiting relatives next winter.

I'm skiing less at Massanutten now that I do 3-4 trips out west so don't really need a season pass, especially now that I qualify for senior rates.  Plus if I get Indy then that would cover two days.

My ski buddies are interested in a few days at Crested Butte, probably after another trip to Taos.  I could cover CB with an Epic Day Pass for a few days.  Comes out $70-75 per day depending on how many days.  There are three tiers for the Epic Day Pass: all VR resorts, 32 VR resorts including Keystone and Crested Butte in Colorado plus Tahoe, 22 VR resorts in the midwest or mid-Atlantic plus NH Epic locations.  If I went with 4 days and 32 VR resorts, cost would be $288, compared to $676 for Epic Local.

ZARDOG
March 26, 2023
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Well:

Since I need the Golden Hour only one solution. Epic NE.

The golden Hr is the time to get to the resort. That allows me to book a 4-hour at work remote. Play and make $ the same day. On Weekends I get up early and leave the resort by Noon. Still have time for family.

10 Buddy passes for Friends / Family.

Last year 15 days. 5 at Roundtop, and 10 at Liberty. 75% Mid Week. 80% sunny days and Blue Bird sky.  

The lift cost per day 35$

-------------------

Weather - Really does not matter to me over 30 years. 

The chance of another La Nina 3 in a row winter is low.

The NAO and AO for this area only dipped below the scale 2 times.  The usual is a 3-week cycle or less.

Human nature has not changed. Most go on weekends holidays and when school/college is out.

tip, take lessons, do some practice, stay healthy, when you retire life is good.

Mid week gives you 4 days of bliss. 

Zardog

HuckleCat
March 26, 2023
Member since 12/23/2022 🔗
1 posts

It keeps flying below the radar, and I keep forgetting it about myself, but if you're considering an Epic/Ikon combo, you might save some money if you go Epic and Mountain Collective.   

Mountain Collective is basically a big mountain Ikon version of Indy Pass.   Someone can correct me if mistaken, but I think it's run by Alterra as well.   

It gives you 2 days at a bunch of big Western resorts like Snowmass, Banff, Jackson Hole, with a bonus 3rd day at a resort of your choosing.   Not cheap at $570, but still a few hundred cheaper than an Ikon pass.   Worth looking into.

RodneyBD wrote:

We've had Indy+ from Season 1.  It's not worth it for local skiing.  Even in a half decent winter Blue Knob and CVR struggle to get their blue and black terrain open.  Massanutten can be a fun mountain with good cover but really really weather dependent.  Went to Bryce once, was amusing.  Montage is a fun trip but once you check it off the "been- there" list you won't be motivated to go back (think of Liberty with the front side stacked on top of the back side).

Indy+ is rewarding if you hit the road to New England, especially for holiday periods.  We've had some great days at Jay, Bolton, Magic, Cannon, Waterville and Berkshire East.  Was hoping to make it to Greek Peak with fresh snow but timing never worked out.

Now that my kids can keep up with me we are likely going to try some combo of Epic and/or Ikon for the CO and UT resorts.  I'm not a fan of Vail but we need the local PA options.  Maybe combo of Ikon and Epic and see how it shakes out with the friend/buddy/day tickets.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2023 (edited March 26, 2023)
3,246 posts

HuckleCat wrote:

It keeps flying below the radar, and I keep forgetting it about myself, but if you're considering an Epic/Ikon combo, you might save some money if you go Epic and Mountain Collective.   

Mountain Collective is basically a big mountain Ikon version of Indy Pass.   Someone can correct me if mistaken, but I think it's run by Alterra as well.   

It gives you 2 days at a bunch of big Western resorts like Snowmass, Banff, Jackson Hole, with a bonus 3rd day at a resort of your choosing.   Not cheap at $570, but still a few hundred cheaper than an Ikon pass.   Worth looking into.

The Mountain Collective Pass was started in 2012 by 4 independent destination resorts (Alta, Jackson Hole, Aspen/Snowmass, Squaw/Alpine).  The first MCP included 2 days at those four resorts, for 8 days total, for under $400.  The MCP list keeps evolving.  It's not run by Alterra.

mountaincollective.com

The bonus day for early purchasers of the MCP was added in 2014.  What is quite different from Ikon is that any additional days are at a 50% discount.  Doesn't take much planning to make good use of the MCP.  When Ikon started, the Ikon Partners that were already part of the MCP stayed on the MCP.  Now there are a few resorts that are on the MCP but not on Ikon.  It's getting hard to remember the list.

A couple of my ski buddies and I who take multiple trips to destination resorts in the Rockies have been using Full Ikon and the MCP for a few years.  I was happy when Grand Targhee joined the MCP since we stop there as part of trips to Big Sky.

Helps to decide where to go, and then see if using a multi-resort pass makes sense.  Having skied at Wolf Creek and Bridger a few times in recent years, I could be pretty happy doing a single ski vacation at one of those mountains if I were still working or had a limited travel budget.  Day tickets are under $100 for adults.

Grumpy dad
March 27, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

You can choose to have blackout dates or not with the Epic day pass.  If you want to go on Holidays then it will cost you more.  If you choose more resorts it will cost you more. 

March 27, 2023 (edited March 27, 2023)
925 posts

Yeah, if you want to go to most epic places non-holiday then the locals pass is actually a realy good deal.  The top level pass from either icon or epic is a hard sell if you're unsure how much you will ski. 

edit:  actually some places are on for holidays, like Crested Butte and Keystone.   Of the two I would go to CB for a holiday.... or maybe anyday.... but generlaly would not go anywhere on a holiday. 

Grumpy dad wrote:

You can choose to have blackout dates or not with the Epic day pass.  If you want to go on Holidays then it will cost you more.  If you choose more resorts it will cost you more. 

Shotmaker
March 28, 2023
180 posts
Epic had a local pass for around $400 that included unlimited skiing at Keystone with April 1 thereafter Breck and 5 days at Crested Butte. 

If you had a few weeks to ski in Colorado next spring this is a good deal. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2023
3,246 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

Epic had a local pass for around $400 that included unlimited skiing at Keystone with April 1 thereafter Breck and 5 days at Crested Butte. 

Are you thinking about the Keystone Plus Pass?  $361 for an adult, holiday restricted access to Keystone all season, after April 1 at Breck, 5 days non-holiday at Crested Butte.  Plus half-price tickets at Breckenridge, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Crested Butte, Okemo, Mount Sunapee and Stevens Pass.  As compared to $348 for a 5-day Epic Day Pass with holiday blackouts good at CB, Keystone, northeast Epic resorts, mid-Atlantic Epic resorts, and midwest Epic mountains.

Shotmaker
March 29, 2023 (edited March 29, 2023)
180 posts
Yes, that’s the one. 
KTMan
March 29, 2023
Member since 02/13/2023 🔗
12 posts
I had been planning on the Indy pass, but recently linked up with a friend from Philly.  I am DC based, so if I want to go with my friend consistently, it seems like the only real option would be an Epic NE Pass for unlimited access to Liberty.  Curious if any of you veterans have other recommendations before I just default to that. 
newbie2022
March 29, 2023
13 posts

Indy pass was good for my partner and I based out of DC this year, but it did make skiing with friends who only want vertical (or are located somewhere else) pretty challenging. We wound up maxxing out our days at 5 different resorts coming out less than $30/day, so we never felt bad calling it wraps on a day early for any reason.

We loved indy pass, but are begrudingly swapping to epic for the easier logistics. Knowing we can go to RT, WT, Liberty as many times as we want and don't need to wait for a particular resort so that we still have a pass day left to meet up with a friend from that area will be worth it.

If you only want epic to meet up with friends from philly, you could consider doing indy pass + some number of day passes for 22 resorts w/ holiday blackouts. That will get you into all of the Southern PA epic properties whenever you want a quick trip or to meet friends from philly, and you can still venture further out with your indy pass. 

KTMan wrote:

I had been planning on the Indy pass, but recently linked up with a friend from Philly.  I am DC based, so if I want to go with my friend consistently, it seems like the only real option would be an Epic NE Pass for unlimited access to Liberty.  Curious if any of you veterans have other recommendations before I just default to that. 
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2023 (edited April 4, 2023)
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Wow. Every year it’s different. When I grew up in the Central Berkshires of Western Massachusetts in the 1960s, the question was whether to buy a season pass at Bousquet, Jiminy, or Brodie or, instead, pay as you go if you preferred more variety and had transportation.

When I headed off to college in 1971, I found skiing too expensive and winter backpacking much more appealing. I didn’t click back into skis until 3 decades later when our 9-year-old son took up skiing at Wintergreen and my wife urged me to join him. Little did she know what she’d (re)started. I ski about 25 days each year now and am grateful for each one.

One year I had a Wintergreen pass. The later 2000s and early 2010s were a combination of a Snowtime pass (Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop) plus all the 2-for-1s and other discount coupons I could round up.  Whew, that was quite a chore, including driving an hour to Harrisonburg to buy a couple of cases of Coke products to get a Snowshoe coupon. (Remember doing that?)

This past year, I had a Timberline pass (great!), Indy pass (used 11 times, including 7x on a trip to New England), 3 Epic day tickets (used only 2), and a Snowshoe 2-fer (cracked 3 ribs and had to leave 1 day unused).

Less than a week into 2024, I’ll hit the big 7-0, God willing. Hello Massanutten and Bryce! I become free-skiing-eligible and hope to take advantage of my geezerhood and their generosity. I also bought a Timberline pass for 2023-24, plus 2 Epic day tickets (for a bit of PA or NH skiing). Might add 1 premium Epic day ticket as part of a hoped-for trip to the Maine. That should do it.

I skied my 100th different ski area (Whaleback NH) this past season - all located between NC and Quebec. The farthest west I’ve skied is Snow Trails in Ohio. The West hasn’t crept onto my radar screen (too addicted to loose granular and hardpack, I guess). 

Best wishes to all during the “other” seasons. I enjoy all four.

Woody

April 4, 2023
925 posts

If you are absolutely certain you are going to ski at CB or Keystone, that is a great deal.   I am kind of thinking about it just for CB and the half price tickets.  The only benefit to the 5 day pass I see is Telluride access.  Just too many choices this year, I might take up winter golf :)

marzNC wrote:

Shotmaker wrote:

Are you thinking about the Keystone Plus Pass?  $361 for an adult, holiday restricted access to Keystone all season, after April 1 at Breck, 5 days non-holiday at Crested Butte.  Plus half-price tickets at Breckenridge, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Crested Butte, Okemo, Mount Sunapee and Stevens Pass.  As compared to $348 for a 5-day Epic Day Pass with holiday blackouts good at CB, Keystone, northeast Epic resorts, mid-Atlantic Epic resorts, and midwest Epic mountains.

April 18, 2023
925 posts
Well, I ended up with Icon base.  I'll miss Vail but I think I'll survive.  Might make the epic, er, skitalk gathering.  Funny that it includes Snowshoe but I'll probably miss it, but otoh, I have not been to Utah in 4 years.  Sadly, we might not see another winter like this one for quite a while.  Viva la ski !
swoop
April 18, 2023
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts
Me as well, Ikon base and a Bronze TLine! 
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 18, 2023
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
FYI:  don't quote me, but ST Gathering likely to be Big Sky or Palisades.  Both are Ikon base.
April 19, 2023
925 posts
@jimk , I would give a thumbsup to Big Sky if this site had that capability.   
newbie2022
April 19, 2023
13 posts
Locked in Epic Local for next season. DC based, with a max of 1 week out west so no reason to splurge for the full pass. Looking forward to being able to get more short days in guilt free than with limited days at each resort on indy this year, but will miss the variety from Indy, we'll probably still do some of the resorts for a couple of days.
April 20, 2023
925 posts

Yeah, that sounds awesome.  I'm voting for Big Sky.  

JimK wrote:

FYI:  don't quote me, but ST Gathering likely to be Big Sky or Palisades.  Both are Ikon base.
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
11 months ago
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Decided not to get Ikon pass, probably no to MCP either.  Will be the 1st year not getting a pass since I started skiing out west.  Work is hectic at the moment and don't want to make any plans that require commitments.   I also started learning piano, new found "hobby" and  I am taking in person weekly lessons.  I prefer not to miss any classes because I don't want to forfeit the lesson cost.  With that said, going out west multiple trips like years past likely won't happen.   

I am contemplating to teach skiing (as non-certified instructor) with a local Epic resort next year.  By doing so, I can get an Epic pass.  Teaching commitment is 2 days, I can do that on weekends. From what i know, they are pretty lenient on 2-day per week teaching requirement... Figure I am stuck here on wknds anyways.  

Has anyone considered getting a teaching job with a local Epic resort here in exchange for free season pass?  Season is so short here, you can use the pass skiing out west after local hills close in early March.  

Crush
11 months ago (edited 11 months ago)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Great you are thinking about teaching! For me it was a total fail. I did the Ski Liberty course but naturally I was totally mis-aligned with the PSIA system - and - the on snow training was on the opening day so I said "bah" and skipped to ski on my own. Plus was I learned the Dale Carnegie system of memorizing things like students' names etc which actually works quite well!
needawax
11 months ago
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
36 posts

I would say if you could hold it to 2 days, then good on you.  I taught at HV from 2009-2015 only on weekends, not only to just get the free pass, but also to meet people -- while doing a fulltime job. It was fun and also exhausting.  But that was before Vail/Epic obviously.  Vail pays better now, and yeah, if you can swing it, its a good deal.

fosphenytoin wrote:

Decided not to get Ikon pass, probably no to MCP either.  Will be the 1st year not getting a pass since I started skiing out west.  Work is hectic at the moment and don't want to make any plans that require commitments.   I also started learning piano, new found "hobby" and  I am taking in person weekly lessons.  I prefer not to miss any classes because I don't want to forfeit the lesson cost.  With that said, going out west multiple trips like years past likely won't happen.   

I am contemplating to teach skiing (as non-certified instructor) with a local Epic resort next year.  By doing so, I can get an Epic pass.  Teaching commitment is 2 days, I can do that on weekends. From what i know, they are pretty lenient on 2-day per week teaching requirement... Figure I am stuck here on wknds anyways.  

Has anyone considered getting a teaching job with a local Epic resort here in exchange for free season pass?  Season is so short here, you can use the pass skiing out west after local hills close in early March.  

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts
My plan to get non-cert teaching job at Liberty / Whitetail did not work out. I may have to go w/ Epic Local pass coming season since I am booked for Whistler/Blackcomb next season.  This will be my only out of town trip.  I also signed up 2 two-week adult dev sessions at Liberty.  I supposed local pass justifies it.  WB is only covered on Local and Full pass.  
Does anyone know when will the pass price go up? 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

My plan to get non-cert teaching job at Liberty / Whitetail did not work out. I may have to go w/ Epic Local pass coming season since I am booked for Whistler/Blackcomb next season.  This will be my only out of town trip.  I also signed up 2 two-week adult dev sessions at Liberty.  I supposed local pass justifies it.  WB is only covered on Local and Full pass.  
Does anyone know when will the pass price go up? 

The prices for Epic passes went up about 10 days ago by $40/30 for Full Epic and Epic Local.  Not usually another price increase before Epic goes off sale completely in early December.

I got Epic Local for the first time for a trip to Crested Butte.  Will also use it to check out a few Epic resorts in Colorado as part of other trips out west.  May try to get to Liberty for a look since I've never been there.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.