Epic Gear?
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
March 29, 2023
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

If you travel out West a lot dragging your gear is a  hassle.  I started renting out West a few years ago when most airlines started charging high fees for skis as baggage.  This program makes some sense but really is just another revenue stream for Mr Burns (Aka Vail). 

unofficialnetworks.com

Grumpy dad
March 30, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

I've only dragged all of my stuff out west one time.  I dont know why but I remember that being one of the most stressful times Ive ever experienced taking all my gear.  I was super excited for this one trip, was going to arrive at the airport 3 hours early for my early flight, grabbing food there and making sure that if there was a gate change I was ready.

About 20 minutes into the drive I realized that I forgot my wallet!

Then on the way there, with almost no traffic on the road at this time, I see emergency lights on the horizon.  Im on a highway, with no exit..there was an accident.

I get to the airport, park my car, rush with my gear just about to fall over when I get to the ticketing / luggage check area, and they tell me I have to RUSH to the other side of the airport to have my gear inspected and checked into this special gear check in area.  The guy gives me sh** for ten minutes as he continues to warn me that it's unlikely that my stuff will make it there the first day Im there...then tells me it's ok it will be there for sure.  

Then I rush to my gate, and there's a gate change.  The airplane apparently caught fire and they are working to fix it for the next flight.  Um...

Rush to the next gate, nope...no one here.  Not even an employee.  I was told the wrong gate.  Rush to the next gate, a few people there...this cant be right.  Nope it's right.

Get to connecting airport, 45 minutes to get to my next gate.  Wow they are boarding already, ok well ..here we go.  

Finally land at destination, sit there waiting for my luggage.  Waiting...nothing.  No bag, no skis..nothing.  Trolley stops...oh F***.  Ask an attendee...they tell me that it will be another 20 minutes. Why?  WHO KNOWS.  I wait...here comes some lady out of a door dragging my skis and my bag, both of which were half open.  She drops my skis, smirks and says here ya go.  I was convinced this lady only worked for the pleasure of messing with people.  I'm also convinced that they all have a record of you, and they can put little notes in your file like they do at the doctors off (joking, but think Seinfeld episode here).

When I travel, I travel as light as possible now.  I focus more on things like glasses, contacts, things that arent easy to replace.  Heck even my favorite goggles with two lenses to me is more important than packing my skis.

The only gear I will take is my boots (skis/snowboard boots).  

My best trips are flying on a private jet or king air.  It's good to know people with access, especially when you dont have to pay a single penny for the trip!  I dont get to do this anymore, and especially today I miss it.  

oldensign wrote:

If you travel out West a lot dragging your gear is a  hassle.  I started renting out West a few years ago when most airlines started charging high fees for skis as baggage.  This program makes some sense but really is just another revenue stream for Mr Burns (Aka Vail). 

unofficialnetworks.com

oddballstocks
March 30, 2023
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts
I've never had an issue hauling gear out west.  I have a nice Nordica boot/gear bag that's also the size of a carry on.  I can fit everything for a six day trip in there: boots, socks, base layers, pants, coats, a few minimalist outfits.  I have a sport tube for my skis and poles.  What's nice about the sport tube is that it has a handle and wheels so your shoulder doesn't fall off hauling it to the ticket counter.

I typically fly to SLC and they have a ski luggage carousel in the baggage claim.  Before the new terminal I'd be waiting forever for my skis to slide out the gate, now they're usually before any other checked bags from the same flight.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2023
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Grumpy dad wrote:

I've only dragged all of my stuff out west one time.  I dont know why but I remember that being one of the most stressful times Ive ever experienced taking all my gear.  I was super excited for this one trip, was going to arrive at the airport 3 hours early for my early flight, grabbing food there and making sure that if there was a gate change I was ready.

About 20 minutes into the drive I realized that I forgot my wallet!

. . .

(joking, but think Seinfeld episode here).

When I travel, I travel as light as possible now.  I focus more on things like glasses, contacts, things that arent easy to replace.  Heck even my favorite goggles with two lenses to me is more important than packing my skis.

The only gear I will take is my boots (skis/snowboard boots).  

My best trips are flying on a private jet or king air.  It's good to know people with access, especially when you dont have to pay a single penny for the trip!  I dont get to do this anymore, and especially today I miss it.  

Quite a story!

I fly out west often enough that it was worth learning how to pack and deal with ski gear after I bought my first good all-mountain skis and had fitted boots.  I cheat a bit because the powder skis I bought used a few years ago stay with my primary ski buddy in New Mexico (bachelor, former New Yorker, North Country School schoolmate).  So I have a double Sportube with wheels for one pair of skis that has room for bulky items such as snow boots, extra gloves, and a day pack.  My boot "bag" is actually a clamshell rolling suitcase that fits in an overhead bin.  I pack another 4-wheel small suitcase that is also carry-on size.  I keep the boot suitcase with me to start a ski trip and check it on the way home since it's the heavier bag.  The boots are well-used enough now that I should be thinking about getting a new pair.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2023 (edited March 30, 2023)
3,246 posts

Here's the full press release about Epic Gear.  (Caps from webpage.)  A key point is that VR is only rolling out a pilot program for 2023-24.  Resorts listed are all destination resorts.  For instance, Kirkwood is not included for Tahoe and only Stowe and Okemo are targeted for 2024-25 in Vermont.  Cost for "membership" is $50, then $50 per day when renting for a ski trip to an Epic resort with Epic Gear as an option.

VAIL RESORTS INTRODUCES “MY EPIC GEAR,” REIMAGINING GEAR OWNERSHIP AND GEAR RENTAL

" . . .

A full season My Epic Gear membership for adults will cost $50, which will unlock the benefits of all the premium gear and convenience and enable daily gear reservations for $50 per day (less than the average daily cost of owning gear for a destination guest and less than the price of premium demo rentals). Child pricing will be introduced as part of the full launch of the program for the 2024/2025 season.

Pilot Season 
My Epic Gear membership will be offered exclusively to a limited number of Vail Resorts’ Epic Pass Holders during the pilot program throughout the 2023/24 season at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone.

Expansion is planned for the 2024/2025 season at Whistler Blackcomb, Park City Mountain, Crested Butte, Heavenly, Northstar, Stowe, Okemo and Mount Snow, with further expansions planned for future seasons.

My Epic Gear is the latest innovation from Vail Resorts, which also owns and operates retail and rental businesses, including Epic Mountain Gear and Epic Mountain Rentals.

"

Grumpy dad
March 30, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

starting to feel like im joining a country club..

marzNC wrote:

Here's the full press release about Epic Gear.  (Caps from webpage.)  A key point is that VR is only rolling out a pilot program for 2023-24.  Resorts listed are all destination resorts.  For instance, Kirkwood is not included for Tahoe and only Stowe and Okemo are targeted for 2024-25 in Vermont.  Cost for "membership" is $50, then $50 per day when renting for a ski trip to an Epic resort with Epic Gear as an option.

VAIL RESORTS INTRODUCES “MY EPIC GEAR,” REIMAGINING GEAR OWNERSHIP AND GEAR RENTAL

" . . .

A full season My Epic Gear membership for adults will cost $50, which will unlock the benefits of all the premium gear and convenience and enable daily gear reservations for $50 per day (less than the average daily cost of owning gear for a destination guest and less than the price of premium demo rentals). Child pricing will be introduced as part of the full launch of the program for the 2024/2025 season.

Pilot Season 
My Epic Gear membership will be offered exclusively to a limited number of Vail Resorts’ Epic Pass Holders during the pilot program throughout the 2023/24 season at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone.

Expansion is planned for the 2024/2025 season at Whistler Blackcomb, Park City Mountain, Crested Butte, Heavenly, Northstar, Stowe, Okemo and Mount Snow, with further expansions planned for future seasons.

My Epic Gear is the latest innovation from Vail Resorts, which also owns and operates retail and rental businesses, including Epic Mountain Gear and Epic Mountain Rentals.

"

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2023 (edited March 30, 2023)
3,246 posts

Grumpy dad wrote:

starting to feel like im joining a country club..

marzNC wrote:

Have you heard how a Club Med ski resort works?  It's an all-inclusive experience, including meals and ski lessons.  The first one in North American is in Quebec.  The other Club Med ski resorts are in Europe.  That's what I think of with VR owning resorts, resort lodging, an airport shuttle company, and retail ski shops in Colorado.  No surprise that the pilot resorts for Epic Gear are all in Colorado.

Dean
March 30, 2023
Member since 12/8/2022 🔗
6 posts
I've flow out west with gear several times the past few years. A ski bag & boot bag count as a single checked item (same as any other checked item). I haven't had any problem with size and weight limits. I take 1 pair of all mountain skis, pack extra stuff into the ski & boot bags as needs & take a carry on. I've been fortunate not to have any lost or delayed luggage in recent year, but it happens.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?