Things sure do look grim
7 posts
7 users
1k+ views
bob
4 months ago
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

I decided to take a quick look at how things are in the Mid Atlantic. The title about says it all. Sorry to say for all skiers / riders.

Took a look at a few webcams. Blue looks good. Elk looks OK and it looks like no one is there.  

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Things looking up in the Laurels. 6” of fresh and snow making temperatures are back,  at least at night for the next week or so. 
Grumpy dad
4 months ago
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts
Im noticing a TERRIBLE trend with Vail ownership of 7S/HV.  Nutting was cutting back toward the end to look good on the book to sell.  But wow, Vail has taken it to a whole new level.  Sure they pay $20 per hour now, but have far fewer employees and many of those they just dont bring in very often. So while Vail may be able to blame lack of staff, which they dont, it's their own doing.  

They applaud their snowmaking teams for fighting against a tough winter, but let's get serious Nutting turned up that entire mountain when he wanted to be ready for a big holiday crowd.  Speaking of holidays, Nutting went all out.  Vail, not so much.  Im surprised they havent kicked out the catholic mass. 

The crowds now are alarming, but much of that is due to the lack of terrain. And let's also face it, the crowd has turned into a 20-30 something giant bar with the occasional  runs down the slope (singular) or slopes (as in two)
Patf1engineer
4 months ago
Member since 01/23/2018 🔗
61 posts

I noticed a recent comment about 7 Springs calling it a "frat boy ski resort". I think that is a very accurate description.

Grumpy dad wrote:

Im noticing a TERRIBLE trend with Vail ownership of 7S/HV.  Nutting was cutting back toward the end to look good on the book to sell.  But wow, Vail has taken it to a whole new level.  Sure they pay $20 per hour now, but have far fewer employees and many of those they just dont bring in very often. So while Vail may be able to blame lack of staff, which they dont, it's their own doing.  

They applaud their snowmaking teams for fighting against a tough winter, but let's get serious Nutting turned up that entire mountain when he wanted to be ready for a big holiday crowd.  Speaking of holidays, Nutting went all out.  Vail, not so much.  Im surprised they havent kicked out the catholic mass. 

The crowds now are alarming, but much of that is due to the lack of terrain. And let's also face it, the crowd has turned into a 20-30 something giant bar with the occasional  runs down the slope (singular) or slopes (as in two)
oddballstocks
4 months ago
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Frat boy ski resort for sure!  I won't ski there on a Saturday unless it's March, and Sundays sparingly.  I've found taking the kids after school is the best bet.  It's families and not as many drunk teens.  Weekends we hit up LM.

I'm shocked more terrain isn't open, lows have been fine for snowmaking.

Patf1engineer wrote:

I noticed a recent comment about 7 Springs calling it a "frat boy ski resort". I think that is a very accurate description.

Grumpy dad wrote:

Leo
3 months ago
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

And honestly, shame on ownership for letting it happen.  It was happening under Nutting (hell, it was probably happening under Dupre ownership to some extent) but it's gotten even worse lately.

Last year on a Tues morning I parked on the NF and the lot looked like a Steelers tailgate.  The group next to my truck already had an impressive pile of empties sitting there.  On a Tuesday at 10AM.  It's not like Vail couldn't stop it, it's happening in the wide open.

These are the people you're trusting not to kill you on the slopes.  I won't ski there other than weekdays and even weekdays are getting less and less tolerable.

oddballstocks wrote:

Frat boy ski resort for sure!  I won't ski there on a Saturday unless it's March, and Sundays sparingly.  I've found taking the kids after school is the best bet.  It's families and not as many drunk teens.  Weekends we hit up LM.

I'm shocked more terrain isn't open, lows have been fine for snowmaking.

Patf1engineer wrote:

Grumpy dad wrote:

chaga
3 months ago
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Come to Canaan!  it is now, and will be a powder paradise for the next 10 days at least!  (not worried one bit about that R word. that's just called base building if it even happen!) 

1704385239_ciuhqatstuax.jpg  

bob wrote:

I decided to take a quick look at how things are in the Mid Atlantic. The title about says it all. Sorry to say for all skiers / riders.

Took a look at a few webcams. Blue looks good. Elk looks OK and it looks like no one is there.  

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?