Snowshoe 22 - 23 Thread
34 posts
16 users
4k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,528 posts

Given the reaction on social media today about the light snow, it's time for the annual Snowshoe thread. 

Love it. hate it, fire away.

PS - Light Snow at Mtn Lodge - snowshoemtlodge.com

superguy
one month ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
440 posts

I'll start. :D

Never been. It's 5.5 hours from me - same as Hunter. Vermont is 7-7.5 and my pass works at all of those places. I'd rather drive the extra distance and have options rather than an only show in town. I'd consider going with a group or an organized club trip to try it out, but I'd sooner go to New England if driving. If I felt like flying, can get a nonstop to SLC out of BWI for the same amount of time and be skiing those resorts.

If I had an Ikon pass, I'd probably still go to New England over Snowshoe. Not a knock on the hill itself as it always looked like a great place, but it's just so darn isolated.

Mongo
one month ago
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
73 posts

I'm at 9 hours to Killington vs 4 hours to Snowshoe. Worth it to me to do some long weekends to Snowshoe that aren't holiday weekends when the crowds are horrendous. Not worth it to drive 9 hours each way to spend two days in VT.

superguy wrote:

Never been. It's 5.5 hours from me - same as Hunter. Vermont is 7-7.5 and my pass works at all of those places. I'd rather drive the extra distance and have options rather than an only show in town. I'd consider going with a group or an organized club trip to try it out, but I'd sooner go to New England if driving. If I felt like flying, can get a nonstop to SLC out of BWI for the same amount of time and be skiing those resorts.

If I had an Ikon pass, I'd probably still go to New England over Snowshoe. Not a knock on the hill itself as it always looked like a great place, but it's just so darn isolated.

superguy
one month ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
440 posts

Mongo wrote:

I'm at 9 hours to Killington vs 4 hours to Snowshoe. Worth it to me to do some long weekends to Snowshoe that aren't holiday weekends when the crowds are horrendous. Not worth it to drive 9 hours each way to spend two days in VT.

superguy wrote:

Yeah, where you live and the travel time determines whether or not a place is worth it. Were I in your situation, I'd agree, but my location changes that.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
233 posts
What is happening with potential trail/expansion of terrain south of Soaring Eagle lift? 
eggraid
one month ago
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
483 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

What is happening with potential trail/expansion of terrain south of Soaring Eagle lift? 

I haven't heard anything close to official about that, but would love to see it.

I'm excited to see how the changes around Skidder slope will change the dynamic at the top of the mountain. I know it will make me more likely to take Grabhammer lift. It was already a favorite of our family, even if it is super slow the shorter wait times usually made it worth it on a busy day, but then you were limited to one of the blues below it. That will be nice to have Grabhammer trail as an option off the top of Grabhammer lift and even the Hootenanny trails if you are willing to skate/pole over there. I wonder how this will change the experience for the 1st-timer lessons. There isn't as much room where the magic carpet seems to be for those who would not yet be comfortable getting on a chairlift.

djop
one month ago
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
335 posts
Hey, anyone have demo day dates?    Last season the demo day announcements were horrible - nobody knew anything until 3 hours after the tents went up. 
one month ago
1,528 posts

This page has some drone footage of the demolition of the Shavers Center yesterday.

facebook.com

I think it is a public link

Bonzski
21 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
581 posts
The new Snowshoe app is now available in app stores.
19 days ago
1,528 posts

Snowshoe had their guns on for a short time this morning near Ballhooter.  My buddy has my old nest cam in one of his condos at Mtn Lodge.

https://snowshoemtlodge.com/mlwebcam/

nickhaas212
19 days ago
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
63 posts
Why does Snowshoe keep canceling chairlift projects? Does Alterra not believe in funding this resort? It dissapeared from Lift Blog's upcoming lifts for 2023 and 2024. This is the second time in two years.
Brook
18 days ago (edited 18 days ago)
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
48 posts
Skidder cam is relocated and now live. https://www.snowshoemtn.com/media-room/skidder-slope-live-cam
rbrtlav
17 days ago (edited 17 days ago)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
548 posts

nickhaas212 wrote:

Why does Snowshoe keep canceling chairlift projects? Does Alterra not believe in funding this resort? It dissapeared from Lift Blog's upcoming lifts for 2023 and 2024. This is the second time in two years.

At least before shavers center collapsed the new powder monkey was still on the table. I wouldn’t be surprised if alterra is re-evaluating the lifts as part of needing to replace shavers center. There was a decent investment in snowmaking and grading this summer as well so saying alterra isn’t funding the resort would be false, it’s just not as glamorous or obvious as some of the huge projects at other resorts.

It’s probably worth evaluating the new shavers center and lifts together for both $$$ and flow reasons. I’d expect an update sometime in the next few months. I’m hoping them needing to rebuild that building actually results in a different plan than they originally had.

rbrtlav
17 days ago
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
548 posts

Spoke too soon.. on Facebook now

“ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!!! We are extremely stoked to inform you that next spring we will be replacing our Powder Monkey chairlift with a brand-new fixed-grip, quad (4-seater) ahead of the 2023/2024 Winter Season. The new lift will increase uphill capacity, ease congestion in the Basin area, and improve access to our legendary Western Territory area. 

The current Powder Monkey lift is a triple (3-seater), that was installed in 1977. This will be the first new chairlift on the mountain since the Soaring Eagle Express lift was installed in 2006.“

swoop
16 days ago
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
33 posts
So this is great news...again.   Let's see if it really happens.  Ok, let's say it IS going to happen.  Then, let's make sure to restore Choker to a full run, by allowing skiers to exit right from the upper terminal and run down under the lift by installing a bridge and tunnel at the Choker/Heisler intersection.  This could be a longer, nice black diamond (at least upper) with 1/2 bumps, 1/2 groomed and attract more than just novice skiers and riders.
Bonzski
16 days ago
581 posts
Like that idea Swoop. A bridge would alleviate the messy merge on heisler from skiers coming down. 
swoop
15 days ago
33 posts
Getting some Natty at the shoe now!
15 days ago
1,528 posts
Loos like Snowshoe is going all out right now with guns on.
jimw
13 days ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
96 posts

Yeah they turned the guns on Saturday evening and they were stilling running when I left Sunday morning,  We had a light dusting of natural snow, too.  I'm hoping they will be able to open as planned.  

What about the new planned blue run over on Western?  Is that still in play?

11 days ago
1,528 posts

Snowshoe posted opening

11/22 pass holders only

11/23 general public

Approx 12 trails including Gandy Dancer and Progression Park 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
11 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,871 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe posted opening

11/22 pass holders only

11/23 general public

Approx 12 trails including Gandy Dancer and Progression Park 

Several Alterra resorts are opening a day early for pass holders only.  As are a few Boyne resorts.  Killington has done that for a while.  Ikon holders qualify.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
10 days ago
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
465 posts
Is there any natural snow on the ground? Any bleed off from the big storm in BUF? Sometimes lake effect hits Snowshoe as well. 
9 days ago
1,528 posts

This is just incredible

316284568_5565750716838802_6310250616567391282_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=DhHC59ySCbAAX8VMhJu&_nc_oc=AQnOPAT2Uo_-50H0QX1PBCee0ipLb4hWIYejlBHN987MkqI0CQUSom9as007GrARwCjjkcOvNwwbr2cJsya1QBiA&tn=W-J6f4HGeFJBkgs7&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBrD8Z1nBmypiq_IExvr9fyG0ZH0lU6zXXY42-ntYUERA&oe=637CFE5A

Bonzski
8 days ago
581 posts
Nice whale pics BlueDon!
8 days ago
1,528 posts

I saw on Facebook that the first whale is Mount Ballhooter, elevation 4849.  Haha! 

Bonzski wrote:

Nice whale pics BlueDon!
djop
7 days ago
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
335 posts

Who's going to be there tomorrow?

Who's going to be there Weds? 

Grumpy dad
6 days ago (edited 6 days ago)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
45 posts

Powder monkey was the first time I rode in a triple chair lift. I thought it was amazing.  I remember at the basin there was a rock formation, that kinda looked like an old mans face.  They stuck a log into its 'mouth' and painted the tip red.   

I tried to find a photo of that everywhere and couldnt.  I remember having a camera with me once but who knows what happened to those pictures. Kinda makes me sad because that was one of the fond memories I had with my father who recently passed away.  

Time flies.  Enjoy it while you last on this earth.   It will be nice to see the change of lift to increase capacity, however one would argue that should have been a fast lift.  But oh well. 

BTW while it's on my mind.  I have to say that Snowshoe's drive in feels like big mountain skiing.  If you ever driven into park city from Ogden you know what I mean. You feel like you are driving to a point that is so close yet so far and everything changes dramatically as you go up.   The least impressive drive to a resort for me was Holiday Valley NY.  

6 days ago
1,528 posts

1669126200_rgpypgwkrscs.jpg

I have a T Shirt and a hoodie with this on it

Grumpy dad wrote:

Powder monkey was the first time I rode in a triple chair lift. I thought it was amazing.  I remember at the basin there was a rock formation, that kinda looked like an old mans face.  They stuck a log into its 'mouth' and painted the tip red.   

I tried to find a photo of that everywhere and couldnt.  I remember having a camera with me once but who knows what happened to those pictures. Kinda makes me sad because that was one of the fond memories I had with my father who recently passed away.  

Grumpy dad
6 days ago (edited 6 days ago)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
45 posts

YOU MADE MY DAY SIR!

I didnt know they swapped the cigar out for a cig.  That's funny. 

Do you think someone carved that out or was that natural?  It couldnt be natural.  Or was there two heads and one had a cigar and one a cig?  I cant remember, I just remember the cigar guy with about 2' of snow on top of his head lol.  

I skied those trees down to powder monkey like a fool with my dad.  Dad was a tall guy and was constantly getting wapped with branches.  Me as a kid, I was just ripping through there.  

Edit: I just noticed that ski tip in the picture.  Dynastar SKINNY SKIS!  Yes sir!

Edit#2: I just ordered a canvas print.  It's 1:1.5 ratio.  I didnt want to go too big as Im sure it's already going to be super pixelated.   So 18x12 for $31 plus an exorbitant shipping price.

wgo
5 days ago (edited 5 days ago)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,477 posts

Opening lineup:

1669218505_osaieppnqbdz.jpg

Grumpy dad
5 days ago
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
45 posts

I love when resorts list a tiny connecting trail as a trail.  

7S should name the run out from the cortina chair to the Avalanche chair. Call it a trail so they can say they have more open. 

swoop
4 days ago
33 posts

Hit Snowshoe for opening passholders day and it was absolutely gorgeous.  Bluebird day rising to upper 30's, low 40's from low 20's skied opening till about 2.  Snow was crisp and held up all day, with amazing coverage.  Guns had just turned off, no ice, no bare spots, no slush, just well groomed and some nice fresh chalky gun powder on Gandy.  Terrain Park run was fun to ski with the rollers.  They also had Hootenany to Flue open for another option. Worth opening day even though they saved Spruce for the next day.

The reworked skidder area is pretty neat.  They have created lanes to improve traffic flow as you exit right from Ballhooter.  You can also now take Crosscut and go left around Grabhammer and access Gandy or Heisler.  The covered carpet repositioning is ready to take skiers up to the crest after offloading Grabhammer-we will see how this works.

Looked like the scoreboard was updated with electronic open/close signage for each trail and lift.  Perhaps this is a precursor to RFID.  I suspect the new Powder Monkey FG Quad going in next year will start the RFID rollover.  Weird without Shaver Center.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
9 hours ago (edited 9 hours ago)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
465 posts

In my triumphant return to the Mid Atlantic I was at Snowshoe Black Friday. I was greeted by rain, fog and wind!  It was like I never left  ;) 

Also, the changes (in the last 20 years) totally confused me. Driving in on the "new" road" past Top of the World I got so confused. It didn't help that visibility was about 50 yards.  Loved the village. Missed Shavers.  The "face" mentioned above was gone but it was good to see those 1970's condos still standing proudly.  The slopes where fun but I can see how the crowds will crush them. I can see how the new lift next year will greatly help the flow.  Lifties where a little militant, but it is early they will get jaded soon. I had a lift ticket fall off for the first time ever....Luckly I had the stub!

I will be back but mid-week only for sure! 

eggraid
4 hours ago
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
483 posts

oldensign wrote:

I will be back but mid-week only for sure! 

Smart move, for sure! Sounds like a fun trip, despite the rain. I'm bummed we didn't get out there, we had been able to ski there on Thanksgiving weekend when it was open for several years and really enjoyed it despite the very limited terrain.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?