Snowshoe 22 - 23 Thread
145 posts
33 users
24k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2022
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Given the reaction on social media today about the light snow, it's time for the annual Snowshoe thread. 

Love it. hate it, fire away.

PS - Light Snow at Mtn Lodge - snowshoemtlodge.com

superguy
October 18, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I'll start. :D

Never been. It's 5.5 hours from me - same as Hunter. Vermont is 7-7.5 and my pass works at all of those places. I'd rather drive the extra distance and have options rather than an only show in town. I'd consider going with a group or an organized club trip to try it out, but I'd sooner go to New England if driving. If I felt like flying, can get a nonstop to SLC out of BWI for the same amount of time and be skiing those resorts.

If I had an Ikon pass, I'd probably still go to New England over Snowshoe. Not a knock on the hill itself as it always looked like a great place, but it's just so darn isolated.

Mongo
October 19, 2022
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

I'm at 9 hours to Killington vs 4 hours to Snowshoe. Worth it to me to do some long weekends to Snowshoe that aren't holiday weekends when the crowds are horrendous. Not worth it to drive 9 hours each way to spend two days in VT.

superguy wrote:

Never been. It's 5.5 hours from me - same as Hunter. Vermont is 7-7.5 and my pass works at all of those places. I'd rather drive the extra distance and have options rather than an only show in town. I'd consider going with a group or an organized club trip to try it out, but I'd sooner go to New England if driving. If I felt like flying, can get a nonstop to SLC out of BWI for the same amount of time and be skiing those resorts.

If I had an Ikon pass, I'd probably still go to New England over Snowshoe. Not a knock on the hill itself as it always looked like a great place, but it's just so darn isolated.

superguy
October 19, 2022
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Mongo wrote:

I'm at 9 hours to Killington vs 4 hours to Snowshoe. Worth it to me to do some long weekends to Snowshoe that aren't holiday weekends when the crowds are horrendous. Not worth it to drive 9 hours each way to spend two days in VT.

superguy wrote:

Yeah, where you live and the travel time determines whether or not a place is worth it. Were I in your situation, I'd agree, but my location changes that.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
October 20, 2022
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
What is happening with potential trail/expansion of terrain south of Soaring Eagle lift? 
eggraid
October 20, 2022
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

What is happening with potential trail/expansion of terrain south of Soaring Eagle lift? 

I haven't heard anything close to official about that, but would love to see it.

I'm excited to see how the changes around Skidder slope will change the dynamic at the top of the mountain. I know it will make me more likely to take Grabhammer lift. It was already a favorite of our family, even if it is super slow the shorter wait times usually made it worth it on a busy day, but then you were limited to one of the blues below it. That will be nice to have Grabhammer trail as an option off the top of Grabhammer lift and even the Hootenanny trails if you are willing to skate/pole over there. I wonder how this will change the experience for the 1st-timer lessons. There isn't as much room where the magic carpet seems to be for those who would not yet be comfortable getting on a chairlift.

djop
October 21, 2022
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
Hey, anyone have demo day dates?    Last season the demo day announcements were horrible - nobody knew anything until 3 hours after the tents went up. 
October 22, 2022
1,580 posts

This page has some drone footage of the demolition of the Shavers Center yesterday.

facebook.com

I think it is a public link

Bonzski
November 7, 2022
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
The new Snowshoe app is now available in app stores.
November 9, 2022
1,580 posts

Snowshoe had their guns on for a short time this morning near Ballhooter.  My buddy has my old nest cam in one of his condos at Mtn Lodge.

https://snowshoemtlodge.com/mlwebcam/

nickhaas212
November 9, 2022
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts
Why does Snowshoe keep canceling chairlift projects? Does Alterra not believe in funding this resort? It dissapeared from Lift Blog's upcoming lifts for 2023 and 2024. This is the second time in two years.
Brook
November 10, 2022 (edited November 10, 2022)
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
58 posts
Skidder cam is relocated and now live. https://www.snowshoemtn.com/media-room/skidder-slope-live-cam
rbrtlav
November 11, 2022 (edited November 11, 2022)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

nickhaas212 wrote:

Why does Snowshoe keep canceling chairlift projects? Does Alterra not believe in funding this resort? It dissapeared from Lift Blog's upcoming lifts for 2023 and 2024. This is the second time in two years.

At least before shavers center collapsed the new powder monkey was still on the table. I wouldn’t be surprised if alterra is re-evaluating the lifts as part of needing to replace shavers center. There was a decent investment in snowmaking and grading this summer as well so saying alterra isn’t funding the resort would be false, it’s just not as glamorous or obvious as some of the huge projects at other resorts.

It’s probably worth evaluating the new shavers center and lifts together for both $$$ and flow reasons. I’d expect an update sometime in the next few months. I’m hoping them needing to rebuild that building actually results in a different plan than they originally had.

rbrtlav
November 11, 2022
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Spoke too soon.. on Facebook now

“ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!!! We are extremely stoked to inform you that next spring we will be replacing our Powder Monkey chairlift with a brand-new fixed-grip, quad (4-seater) ahead of the 2023/2024 Winter Season. The new lift will increase uphill capacity, ease congestion in the Basin area, and improve access to our legendary Western Territory area. 

The current Powder Monkey lift is a triple (3-seater), that was installed in 1977. This will be the first new chairlift on the mountain since the Soaring Eagle Express lift was installed in 2006.“

swoop
November 12, 2022
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts
So this is great news...again.   Let's see if it really happens.  Ok, let's say it IS going to happen.  Then, let's make sure to restore Choker to a full run, by allowing skiers to exit right from the upper terminal and run down under the lift by installing a bridge and tunnel at the Choker/Heisler intersection.  This could be a longer, nice black diamond (at least upper) with 1/2 bumps, 1/2 groomed and attract more than just novice skiers and riders.
Bonzski
November 12, 2022
652 posts
Like that idea Swoop. A bridge would alleviate the messy merge on heisler from skiers coming down. 
swoop
November 12, 2022
64 posts
Getting some Natty at the shoe now!
November 13, 2022
1,580 posts
Loos like Snowshoe is going all out right now with guns on.
jimw
November 15, 2022
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Yeah they turned the guns on Saturday evening and they were stilling running when I left Sunday morning,  We had a light dusting of natural snow, too.  I'm hoping they will be able to open as planned.  

What about the new planned blue run over on Western?  Is that still in play?

November 17, 2022
1,580 posts

Snowshoe posted opening

11/22 pass holders only

11/23 general public

Approx 12 trails including Gandy Dancer and Progression Park 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe posted opening

11/22 pass holders only

11/23 general public

Approx 12 trails including Gandy Dancer and Progression Park 

Several Alterra resorts are opening a day early for pass holders only.  As are a few Boyne resorts.  Killington has done that for a while.  Ikon holders qualify.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 18, 2022
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Is there any natural snow on the ground? Any bleed off from the big storm in BUF? Sometimes lake effect hits Snowshoe as well. 
November 19, 2022
1,580 posts

This is just incredible

316284568_5565750716838802_6310250616567391282_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=DhHC59ySCbAAX8VMhJu&_nc_oc=AQnOPAT2Uo_-50H0QX1PBCee0ipLb4hWIYejlBHN987MkqI0CQUSom9as007GrARwCjjkcOvNwwbr2cJsya1QBiA&tn=W-J6f4HGeFJBkgs7&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBrD8Z1nBmypiq_IExvr9fyG0ZH0lU6zXXY42-ntYUERA&oe=637CFE5A

Bonzski
November 19, 2022
652 posts
Nice whale pics BlueDon!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
November 19, 2022
1,580 posts

I saw on Facebook that the first whale is Mount Ballhooter, elevation 4849.  Haha! 

Bonzski wrote:

Nice whale pics BlueDon!
djop
November 21, 2022
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts

Who's going to be there tomorrow?

Who's going to be there Weds? 

Grumpy dad
November 22, 2022 (edited November 22, 2022)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Powder monkey was the first time I rode in a triple chair lift. I thought it was amazing.  I remember at the basin there was a rock formation, that kinda looked like an old mans face.  They stuck a log into its 'mouth' and painted the tip red.   

I tried to find a photo of that everywhere and couldnt.  I remember having a camera with me once but who knows what happened to those pictures. Kinda makes me sad because that was one of the fond memories I had with my father who recently passed away.  

Time flies.  Enjoy it while you last on this earth.   It will be nice to see the change of lift to increase capacity, however one would argue that should have been a fast lift.  But oh well. 

BTW while it's on my mind.  I have to say that Snowshoe's drive in feels like big mountain skiing.  If you ever driven into park city from Ogden you know what I mean. You feel like you are driving to a point that is so close yet so far and everything changes dramatically as you go up.   The least impressive drive to a resort for me was Holiday Valley NY.  

November 22, 2022
1,580 posts

1669126200_rgpypgwkrscs.jpg

I have a T Shirt and a hoodie with this on it

Grumpy dad wrote:

Powder monkey was the first time I rode in a triple chair lift. I thought it was amazing.  I remember at the basin there was a rock formation, that kinda looked like an old mans face.  They stuck a log into its 'mouth' and painted the tip red.   

I tried to find a photo of that everywhere and couldnt.  I remember having a camera with me once but who knows what happened to those pictures. Kinda makes me sad because that was one of the fond memories I had with my father who recently passed away.  

Grumpy dad
November 22, 2022 (edited November 22, 2022)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

YOU MADE MY DAY SIR!

I didnt know they swapped the cigar out for a cig.  That's funny. 

Do you think someone carved that out or was that natural?  It couldnt be natural.  Or was there two heads and one had a cigar and one a cig?  I cant remember, I just remember the cigar guy with about 2' of snow on top of his head lol.  

I skied those trees down to powder monkey like a fool with my dad.  Dad was a tall guy and was constantly getting wapped with branches.  Me as a kid, I was just ripping through there.  

Edit: I just noticed that ski tip in the picture.  Dynastar SKINNY SKIS!  Yes sir!

Edit#2: I just ordered a canvas print.  It's 1:1.5 ratio.  I didnt want to go too big as Im sure it's already going to be super pixelated.   So 18x12 for $31 plus an exorbitant shipping price.

wgo
November 23, 2022 (edited November 23, 2022)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Opening lineup:

1669218505_osaieppnqbdz.jpg

Grumpy dad
November 23, 2022
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

I love when resorts list a tiny connecting trail as a trail.  

7S should name the run out from the cortina chair to the Avalanche chair. Call it a trail so they can say they have more open. 

swoop
November 24, 2022
64 posts

Hit Snowshoe for opening passholders day and it was absolutely gorgeous.  Bluebird day rising to upper 30's, low 40's from low 20's skied opening till about 2.  Snow was crisp and held up all day, with amazing coverage.  Guns had just turned off, no ice, no bare spots, no slush, just well groomed and some nice fresh chalky gun powder on Gandy.  Terrain Park run was fun to ski with the rollers.  They also had Hootenany to Flue open for another option. Worth opening day even though they saved Spruce for the next day.

The reworked skidder area is pretty neat.  They have created lanes to improve traffic flow as you exit right from Ballhooter.  You can also now take Crosscut and go left around Grabhammer and access Gandy or Heisler.  The covered carpet repositioning is ready to take skiers up to the crest after offloading Grabhammer-we will see how this works.

Looked like the scoreboard was updated with electronic open/close signage for each trail and lift.  Perhaps this is a precursor to RFID.  I suspect the new Powder Monkey FG Quad going in next year will start the RFID rollover.  Weird without Shaver Center.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 28, 2022 (edited November 28, 2022)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

In my triumphant return to the Mid Atlantic I was at Snowshoe Black Friday. I was greeted by rain, fog and wind!  It was like I never left  ;) 

Also, the changes (in the last 20 years) totally confused me. Driving in on the "new" road" past Top of the World I got so confused. It didn't help that visibility was about 50 yards.  Loved the village. Missed Shavers.  The "face" mentioned above was gone but it was good to see those 1970's condos still standing proudly.  The slopes where fun but I can see how the crowds will crush them. I can see how the new lift next year will greatly help the flow.  Lifties where a little militant, but it is early they will get jaded soon. I had a lift ticket fall off for the first time ever....Luckly I had the stub!

I will be back but mid-week only for sure! 

eggraid
November 28, 2022
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

oldensign wrote:

I will be back but mid-week only for sure! 

Smart move, for sure! Sounds like a fun trip, despite the rain. I'm bummed we didn't get out there, we had been able to ski there on Thanksgiving weekend when it was open for several years and really enjoyed it despite the very limited terrain.

Bonzski
November 29, 2022
652 posts
I'll be out there this weekend. Looks like a few days of snowmaking temps prior to Saturday to spruce things back up.
Bonzski
November 30, 2022
652 posts

Two mid-week passes for $129

Snowshoe 2'Fer

Bonzski
December 5, 2022
652 posts
Skipped the rain Saturday morning but the afternoon turned out pretty good, even an hour window of blue-bird before the cold front started moving in with cloud cover.  Sunday was marvelous. No crowds either day, snow coverage DEEP for early season.  Guns on some closed trails were running all day Sunday.  The Skidder area is much improved, especially for newbs & lessons, and included a fun wave track (not sure that will be maintained or changed up).  I didn't try out the Grabhammer lift & carpet but it seemed to be getting lots of use.  DCSkier Swoop was spotted too!
Bonzski
December 6, 2022
652 posts
Snowshoe opened Upper Flume today. Kinda surprising given the weather the next few days.
swoop
December 12, 2022
64 posts
Does anyone know if they started blowing Cupp???
December 13, 2022 (edited December 13, 2022)
1,580 posts

Bone dry at Arbuckles.  Not even a portable set up at the bottom yet.  (Screenshot 12/13/22 at 7:15 AM)

1670933885_offhbhrrkdli.jpg

swoop wrote:

Does anyone know if they started blowing Cupp???
Bird Dog
December 14, 2022
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

Snowshoe is currently trying to open up the Soaring Eagle lift for this weekend, THEN

they will begin to tackle the Western Territory side of the mountain.  Cupp Run and Upper Shay's

can open up pretty quickly as long as the weather cooperates.  I'm leaving Th to ski Fri-Sun there.

Silver Creek is scheduled to open this weekend too.

swoop
December 16, 2022
64 posts

From the shoe this morning Fri 12/16 ...

Good morning from the 'Shoe! We've got an inch of fresh snow, and the trail count is going up with both Silver Creek and Soaring Eagle now open. We're hoping to open Logslide and Widowmaker by early next week. Our snowmakers also got started "across the road" last night so the countdown to Cupp is officially on! Stay tuned for more updates on the Western Territory in the next few days. The forecast is looking fantastic for around-the-clock snowmaking and several shots at natural snow over the next week.

Looking into the crystal ball...Cupp could be open by Christmas!!!

Bonzski
December 19, 2022
652 posts

Yesterday was a surprise mini pow day.  Started the morning with a couple inches and kept falling well into the afternoon.

Bonzski
December 23, 2022
652 posts

It's -8F and windy.....but there's lots of dedicated skiers/riders out there!  Good to have the fix-grips!

Shotmaker
December 23, 2022
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts
Agree the fixed grips allow you to ski almost any run. Don’t think anyone missed western today. Last time I skied over there in conditions similar to today (colder) went out for 2 hours. That was enough for the day. Was out from 9-1 today with a short break conditions on Gandy were fantastic!
Bonzski
December 26, 2022
652 posts

Got 3rd tracks on Cupp opening today. Nobody around, did over dozen laps skiing up to chair each each time. Leg burn kept me warm while carving railroad tracks. Surface was spectacular, starting out frozen carpet then slowly changing to sluff layer on top. Second round of whale building on upper Shays, would expect it opening this week.

Basin side - Grab Hammer was choice with Spruce and Gandy close 2nds. All had great snow. No lines at Ballhooter another pleasant surprise. Guns blowing whales on Ballhooter and Knot Bumper.

swoop
December 26, 2022
64 posts

Bonzski wrote:

No lines at Ballhooter another pleasant surprise. Guns blowing whales on Ballhooter and Knot Bumper.

Thanks for the report Bonzski! Sounds like some quality laps!  Can't believe there were not crowds on basin? This IS Christmas week right? Expect tomorrow will be a different story.

Bonzski
December 26, 2022
652 posts

swoop wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

No lines at Ballhooter another pleasant surprise. Guns blowing whales on Ballhooter and Knot Bumper.

Thanks for the report Bonzski! Sounds like some quality laps!  Can't believe there were not crowds on basin? This IS Christmas week right? Expect tomorrow will be a different story.

Yeah I was very surprised. Maybe today was a big swap day with guests leaving & arriving 🤔 

wgo
December 28, 2022
1,666 posts

Looks like the crowds found Ballhooter today, based on the webcam. Maybe the daytrippers all targeted today as the day to go? Bluebird, mid 40s can draw a crowd.

Harder to see liftlines on the TLM webcam but based on how far back you can see the singles line extending looks to be busy there as well.

SeniorSki
December 30, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
I’m surprised all the money spent at SnowShoe that they never took care of the crazy lift lines at Ballhooter, need 2 lifts there, or re-route traffic. That side of the mt collects all the skiers at one spot. Who wants to spend 100 plus bucks to stand in line for 30 plus min, guessing? 
Dean
December 30, 2022
Member since 12/8/2022 🔗
6 posts

wgo wrote:

Harder to see liftlines on the TLM webcam but based on how far back you can see the singles line extending looks to be busy there as well.

Yeah, it was crowded Wed -- singles line seemed to move slower than the others. They seem to strategically stop panning the cam just uphill of the lift lines. Upcoming weather's not looking great, so figured I;d get a day in before it warmed up & got wet.

Bonzski
December 30, 2022
652 posts
I've been at silvercreek the past few days. Usual low crowds, snow holding up. Opening bear claw a plus.
Shotmaker
January 13, 2023
180 posts
It’s snowing on the mountain this Friday am. Predicting steady snow through Saturday afternoon. Totals look to be 4” with as much as 8”. Bluebird on Sunday temps will stay below 32 much of the day. Should be a great weekend at the Shoe!
Bonzski
January 13, 2023
652 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

It’s snowing on the mountain this Friday am. Predicting steady snow through Saturday afternoon. Totals look to be 4” with as much as 8”. Bluebird on Sunday temps will stay below 32 much of the day. Should be a great weekend at the Shoe!

To not jinx us, I'll leave my powder skis at home.

wgo
January 13, 2023
1,666 posts

Thank you for your consideration!

Bonzski wrote:

Shotmaker wrote:

RVApowpow
January 13, 2023
Member since 01/13/2023 🔗
1 posts
Anyone have thoughts on how the mountain will hold up this week with rising temps and rain in the forecast? Heading up on Thursday 1/19 and hoping some of that forecasted rain turns to snow!
Shotmaker
January 13, 2023
180 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Shotmaker wrote:

Hahaha 😝 

Bonzski
January 17, 2023
652 posts
Shot did you enjoy the bumps and whales on Cupp Sunday? The snow was better than perfect!
Shotmaker
January 17, 2023
180 posts
I wish only been over on western once this season. Obligations kept me in the basin. Looking forward to lower Shays opening in the next few weeks. 
Shotmaker
January 22, 2023
180 posts

Some snow is in the forecast every day over the next 10 days!

1674397451_gtfkkgwexeva.jpg

Mongo
January 23, 2023
98 posts
What happened today? I saw a FB post that Ballhooter was closed but comments were shut off and I couldn’t ask why. Something about ice?
Bonzski
January 23, 2023
652 posts

Mongo wrote:

What happened today? I saw a FB post that Ballhooter was closed but comments were shut off and I couldn’t ask why. Something about ice?

Yes, per usual all the HSQs were shut down due to the sleet/ice. PowderMonkey, Grabhammer and PowderRidge continued running. The need to operate in these conditions is why the replacement lift for PowderMonkey will remain a fixed grip.

Shotmaker
January 26, 2023
180 posts
Looks like Lower Shay’s Revenge is now open. With a couple inches of snow overnight and a few more today should be another great weekend at the Shoe!
Mongo
January 30, 2023
98 posts

The long weekend was... not that great. Ballhooter was down for mechanical reasons on Friday and OH MY GOD the lines at Grabhammer and Powder Monkey were instantly horrendous. Crowded as heck on Saturday and Sunday. Miserable cold rain on Sunday, so we left early.

I did like the new magic carpet setup at the top of Grabhammer though. My teenage son didn't have the patience for it and went stomping up the hill anyway lol but good enough for daddy.

Shotmaker
January 30, 2023
180 posts

Mongo wrote:

“The long weekend was... not that great. Ballhooter was down for mechanical reasons on Friday and OH MY GOD the lines at Grabhammer and Powder Monkey were instantly horrendous. Crowded as heck on Saturday and Sunday. Miserable cold rain on Sunday, so we left early.”

It appears a few school systems had teacher workdays so there were many more families than typical on the mountain.  Ballhooter was fixed by Saturday. This downtime can and does happen at every resort from time to time. Agree Sunday was a downer but the snow quality held up for much of the day and was exceptional on Friday & Saturday.

Shotmaker
January 30, 2023
180 posts

Mongo 

I did like the new magic carpet setup at the top of Grabhammer though. My teenage son didn't have the patience for it and went stomping up the hill anyway lol but good enough for daddy.”

If and when Ballhooter is down (mechanical or freezing rain) it does keep the entire basin accessible.  What I learned is most people side step facing the more difficult way. They have their tips pointed up the incline rather than rotating 180 where they can be perpendicular to the slope and traverse at a slight angle towards the entrance.  I hope you have a better time should you return!

Mongo
February 14, 2023
98 posts
How is the snow holding up? I’m seeing warm weather and rain forecasted for the next 10 days, not encouraging.
February 16, 2023 (edited February 16, 2023)
1,580 posts
I can't remember the last time Snowshoe closed the lifts for lightning ........ IN THE WINTER.......
ShredDMV
February 16, 2023
Member since 09/23/2022 🔗
24 posts

Snowshoe Mtn from this weekend!  Includes a full-length run from Cupp!  I hope you guys enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ejby1VjkeM

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2023
3,245 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I can't remember the last time Snowshoe closed the lifts for lightning ........ IN THE WINTER.......

Been there when that happened.  About a dozen years ago in early March during a SkiSoutheast Summit weekend.  I was over in Silver Creek and spent an hour in the little cafe building with my daughter (tween then) and a few other folks.  Enjoyed the hot chocolate.

rbrtlav
February 16, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

We were there st Patrick’s day weekend a few years back. They roped off the top of the trails but never really said why. It was warm and cloudy so people were just kinda hanging out around skidder. Frank Deberry eventually walked out there trying to get people off the snow and at least in the village. About 30 mins later they reopened the lifts, they ended up running them until 5:30 that night. 

jimw
February 17, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

They are still holding onto 57 trails...not bad considering the weather.  The area is experiencing -75 inches of normal snowfall over the last 3 years.  Thank god for the snow makers.  The weather should turn around in the next week or two.   Heading to Targhee and Lost Trail on Sunday...lots of snow in the forecast. 

Brook
February 18, 2023
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
58 posts

Found some good wiggles out there this AM in the basin from last nights snowfall before aborting the masses and  spending time at the less busy lifts.1676768470_knuozywnwluk.jpg

wgo
February 18, 2023
1,666 posts
Nice!
wrayc21
February 22, 2023 (edited February 22, 2023)
Member since 02/22/2023 🔗
4 posts
skiresort.info

Any of y'all know anything about this proposed 6 person lift / gondola on this page and what potential 3 pack it would replace? Doesn't make much sense to me.

rbrtlav
February 22, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

wrayc21 wrote:

skiresort.info

Any of y'all know anything about this proposed 6 person lift / gondola on this page and what potential 3 pack it would replace? Doesn't make much sense to me.

That’s been listed on that page for years. There was rumor about something connected silver creek to the basin, but as far as I know that lift on the website is a fantasy.

powder monkey replacement is real though 

SeniorSki
February 23, 2023
139 posts
The real discussion should be how to enhance, and reconfigure the ballhooter lift. Not 100% sure, that lift seems to be the busiest and most crowded on the mt. by far. 
February 23, 2023 (edited February 23, 2023)
1,580 posts

I really do not see a solution. Ballhooter serves the bulk of trails. No one says "meet me at the Powderigde lift at noon", they all meet at the Boathouse and have no choice but to ride Ballhooter. It's the only way to the Village most days. They run Grabhammer on weekends to help.

Would a 6 pack help? I have my doubts. Look at the Avalance 6 at 7S, it's a zoo on weekends. 

It's 1130 on a Thu and it's crowded yet there are 3 people in line at Powder Monkey.  

I'll get a taste of the torture tomorrow.

SeniorSki wrote:

The real discussion should be how to enhance, and reconfigure the ballhooter lift. Not 100% sure, that lift seems to be the busiest and most crowded on the mt. by far. 
wgo
February 23, 2023 (edited February 23, 2023)
1,666 posts

I guess the reconfigured skidder area has not helped? I think the hope was that more people would be willing to use the grabhammer lift and then take the short ride up but I am guessing this did not happen. Too bad, in years past I have been ok with using grabhammer and then hiking a bit when Ballhooter is crazy. This season I have only been to Snowshoe once - President's day, when crowds were light and there was no need to employ any of the usual crowd avoidance techniques. I still avoided Ballhooter from around 10 to 1, just in case.

Bird Dog
February 24, 2023
29 posts

Timberline looks good this weekend, but my Ikon pass will send me to Snowshoe.

Ski while you can, and remember that any snow is good snow!

Ski the Shoe, Ski WV.

rbrtlav
February 24, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

wgo wrote:

I guess the reconfigured skidder area has not helped? I think the hope was that more people would be willing to use the grabhammer lift and then take the short ride up but I am guessing this did not happen. Too bad, in years past I have been ok with using grabhammer and then hiking a bit when Ballhooter is crazy. This season I have only been to Snowshoe once - President's day, when crowds were light and there was no need to employ any of the usual crowd avoidance techniques. I still avoided Ballhooter from around 10 to 1, just in case.

I’ve seen pictures of long lines at grabhammer on the worst weekends. More importantly though it’s provided better village access during ice or wind. 

Long term increasing uphill capacity to the village could make the narrow greens going down the mountain even more crowded. It’ll be interesting to see how having the increased capacity on powder monkey impacts the trails over there. A six person ballhooter with increased chair distance would only minimally increase uphill capacity but would also be a bit more wind resistant. I could see this being the next lift update, especially if the expansion off soaring eagle remains paused for environmental reasons.

SeniorSki
February 24, 2023
139 posts
The curse at being successful. Wow snowshoe is blowing today when nobody else can at lower elevation resorts. The future is in elevation. However Ballhooter is jammed at 11. I believe the only way to reduce line volume is to install another lift side by side. Or is it possible to run a trail towards widow maker lift. I don’t recall if the terrain is even possible to consider. Ballhooter could already be at equal elevation as widow maker lift. I haven’t been to snowshoe in many years. Hats off to them for producing good quality product but nobody wants to stand in a line for an hour plus or minus. 
oddballstocks
February 24, 2023
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

I had a season pass there for years and opted to not renew.  The crowds were what killed it for me.  

For a while I'd go down mid-week and it was never that bad, tolerable.  When there was no guarantee anymore that I wouldn't spend the majority of the time on a Tuesday trying to dodge crowds I gave up.

I know Silver Creek is the answer, but I live by the Highlands places and can ski more vert there with a short drive.  I really enjoyed Western and a few trails on the Basin side when there are no lines.

Another factor that you'll get anywhere in the MidA, but especially Snowshoe, a lot of out of control skiers.  Widowmaker is named appropriately because you have to dodge people straight lining it and if you don't you'll be DOA...!

wgo
February 24, 2023
1,666 posts

FWIW for the 2 seasons that we had Snowshoe season passes (2017-18 and 2018-19) we were able to do reasonably well on weekends by skiing Ballhooter before 10, getting over to WT for the middle of the day (either via Powder Monkey or being willing to skate/hike from the top of grabhammer to the little path behind Shavers) and then getting over to the Widowmaker pod for the last few hours of the day. Sometimes Ballhooter would be OK after 3, sometimes not, so we would change our plans based on that. And there have been times we have had to use Grabhammer and then hike to get to the slope that goes to the Widowmaker pod. Generally I could still hit around 20 runs even on a Saturday, but there was a lot of mental effort and at least some hiking. 

Mongo
February 25, 2023
98 posts

Am I wrong on thinking the limiting factor on the number of people on the mountain is lodging? Hard to believe there are lots of people just coming out “for the day” and it’s not like there are a lot of nearby hotels. Has SS increased on-mountain lodging capacity in recent years? If not then why is it more crowded recently?

I do think the magic carpet at the top of Grabhammer helped.

Bonzski
February 28, 2023
652 posts
Snowshoe announced they're extending their operating hours to 5pm since they had to close Silvercreek early.
MarkJ
March 2, 2023
Member since 02/4/2022 🔗
14 posts

I have been going to Snowshoe a while.  I have noticed in the last 2 years that you have to book earlier and earlier to get something even remotely affordable on the mountain.  So they are probably filling the on mountain lodging more than in the past.  While Snowshoe has always seemed busy to me, it seems busier now.  Would agree there are not many places to stay off mountain and probably not a ton of locals skiing.  Whenever I ski there I meet people from all over the South, Midwest and Mid Atlantic as well.  It seems the best reliable, good snow option for driving to a ski place south of Vermont.  Good for Snowshoe.  They are in a perfect place to reap the rewards of the pandemic surge in outdoor activities.  As for me, maybe I will go to Vermont more.  And Timberline is a good alternative for me, but of course they are busy too now and lodging is very limited as well.  And so it goes.....

Mongo wrote:

Am I wrong on thinking the limiting factor on the number of people on the mountain is lodging? Hard to believe there are lots of people just coming out “for the day” and it’s not like there are a lot of nearby hotels. Has SS increased on-mountain lodging capacity in recent years? If not then why is it more crowded recently?

March 2, 2023
1,580 posts

I think the days of the "affordable on the mountain" are over. As a former homeowner, I'm shocked at the prices people are paying for condos. The costs to own a place up there have skyrocketed. Cleaning, linens, and condo fees are at all time highs. Rental taxes are 14% now that they added the 2% resort tax on rentals. Owners are passing all of these on to guests.  

My buddy runs Mountaintop Condos in Snowshoe. They do not open their winter calendar until Oct. The demand is always there. I see it every day as I do some backend customer service work for them.

IMO, Ikon and reliable conditions are driving the masses there. Could you imagine if you booked lodging for 7 Springs or Timberline this week? Both are closed right now and will likely be closed until Sat. 

MarkJ wrote:

I have been going to Snowshoe a while.  I have noticed in the last 2 years that you have to book earlier and earlier to get something even remotely affordable on the mountain.  So they are probably filling the on mountain lodging more than in the past.  While Snowshoe has always seemed busy to me, it seems busier now.  Would agree there are not many places to stay off mountain and probably not a ton of locals skiing.  Whenever I ski there I meet people from all over the South, Midwest and Mid Atlantic as well.  It seems the best reliable, good snow option for driving to a ski place south of Vermont.  Good for Snowshoe.  They are in a perfect place to reap the rewards of the pandemic surge in outdoor activities.  As for me, maybe I will go to Vermont more.  And Timberline is a good alternative for me, but of course they are busy too now and lodging is very limited as well.  And so it goes.....

Bonzski
March 2, 2023
652 posts

Mongo wrote:

On-mtn lodging is the largest limiting factor but I do run across a lot of day-trippers which is reflected by the ToW parking lot being full.  Snowshoe hasn't increased on-mtn lodging since early 2000s but there's been an influx from others, the largest being the Corduroy Inn expansion. However counter to that is the COVID real estate frenzy brought in many new homeowners who don't rent their place, the net result being less supply. There's also been an increase in non-Snowshoe reservation options such as Mountain Top Condos. While there's no chain hotels off-mtn, there are privately owned such as Mingo Lodge (formerly Brazenhead Inn) or Marlinton Motor Inn. In Elkins (1 hr drive) you can find chains and be central to both Snowshoe & CV.

I like the magic carpet option also. I wouldn't say it makes a big impact to Ballhooter line, but some it better than none.

The19thHole
March 2, 2023
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

I'm one of the day trippers. 2 hours up, a few hours of skiing, 2 hours home, and I do it once a week, midweek & preferably during an upslope event. I never stay on or near the mountain. And it's because of Ikon and the fact that I make trips out to Utah a couple of times a year, too.

Without the pass, I would never go to Snowshoe and would ski closer to home (Wintergreen mostly).

MarkJ
March 2, 2023
Member since 02/4/2022 🔗
14 posts

Like you and Blue Don said, I could see the Ikon pass would bring in more day trippers.  And more visitors as well.  Snowshoe is a victim of their own success.  Definitely busy.  But they have the altitude and the infrastructure.  Best place south of Vermont.  It is painful to pay more for lodging at Snowshoe than I do in Colorado, Utah, or Europe.  But I can't drive those places.  Will head up there this weekend.  But will stay off mountain to keep things affordable.  

The19thHole wrote:

I'm one of the day trippers. 2 hours up, a few hours of skiing, 2 hours home, and I do it once a week, midweek & preferably during an upslope event. I never stay on or near the mountain. And it's because of Ikon and the fact that I make trips out to Utah a couple of times a year, too.

Without the pass, I would never go to Snowshoe and would ski closer to home (Wintergreen mostly).

rusty
March 2, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts

Same here. Every sunday I roadtrip. There definitely seems to be a sizeable amount of us in the Top of The World lot. 

I do stay near the mountain a few times a year- either marlinton motor inn or in one of the nearby state park cabins. But I can't (don't want to) afford to stay on the mountain. 

Like you I now live within a hour of Wintergreen/Massanutten but with the Ikon there is no reason to go to them. Especially Wintegreen which charges 160$ for a day pass and a season pass is the same price as the Ikon.  So I just drive slightly further to Snowshoe

The19thHole wrote:

rusty
March 2, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts
This year I got an uphill setup and most of my skiing is a few laps in Silver Creek. No crowds no lines. Little bit of exercise. Completely changed my Snowshoe experience for the better. 

But Silver Creek is closed now. Should I just end my season or should do something like tour Western after the slopes close? 
Bonzski
March 2, 2023
652 posts

rusty wrote:

This year I got an uphill setup and most of my skiing is a few laps in Silver Creek. No crowds no lines. Little bit of exercise. Completely changed my Snowshoe experience for the better. 

But Silver Creek is closed now. Should I just end my season or should do something like tour Western after the slopes close? 

I skied western last weekend. After this week's weather I doubt it has enough coverage to tour unless they decide to turn the guns on.

jimw
March 3, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
I just got back from a 11 day trip to ID and MT.  I'm beat so my place is available this weekend for cheap, if anyone is interested PM me.
Bird Dog
March 7, 2023
29 posts

Just heard that Western's closed for the season.

Focus on the Basin for as long as they can......

Shotmaker
March 7, 2023
180 posts
The Basin overall will be in great shape going forward. Machines were turned on earlier today. Forecast nighttime temperatures will allow for making snow over the next 10 days. There are 3 storm systems on their way that could drop upwards of a foot of natural. If the cold stays in the Mid-Atlantic the season at Snowshoe should go on until the last Sunday of the month!
jimw
March 8, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
I hope they get enough snow to open Cupp back up this weekend.  Looking good through Tuesday.  
March 14, 2023
1,580 posts
Snowshoe is extending the season until 4/2/23 per their trail report today.
rbrtlav
March 14, 2023
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I saw the snows report and did a double take . This was not on my bingo card considering how this winter has gone.

Bonzski
March 14, 2023 (edited March 14, 2023)
652 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I saw the snows report and did a double take . This was not on my bingo card considering how this winter has gone.

I agree, but then again most everything skied well last weekend (Camp99 had a couple thin spots). I swear I heard the compressor on Western running Sunday morning but saw no evidence of guns running. Just a dream I suppose.

Shotmaker
March 14, 2023
180 posts
Knot Bumper & Chocker were not groomed everything else is. 10” within the last week with 2”-5” throughout the day into tonight. Will be posting some pics later. 
Bonzski
March 15, 2023
652 posts
Give us a shot!
Shotmaker
March 15, 2023 (edited March 15, 2023)
180 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Give us a shot!

1678891201_mwjwikzginqe.jpg1678891394_zbqwjbzkzwje.jpg1678893876_hasqmhzfmgtk.jpg1678895483_welispyjakcl.jpg1678895533_zzaywwgvcomv.jpg

Shotmaker
March 15, 2023
180 posts

Blue bird day! Small crowds! Great snow!

1678915499_oeldpcgcmeqz.jpg1678915540_hvufsadisxnx.jpg1678915585_wtgxecwcvgix.jpg1678915616_pxymzjzxpcwu.jpg

jimw
March 16, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Oh it was good.  15"s over 6 days of riding.  Tuesday was the best day of the season at SS .  At least 8"s on Widowmaker on Tuesday morning was awesome.   Cupp did not open although I thought it would.  They did reopen Grabhammer and Logslide.  
teleman
March 21, 2023
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Bonzski
March 21, 2023 (edited March 21, 2023)
652 posts
SeniorSki
March 21, 2023
139 posts
Curious what happened to the trail on the West side, that was parallel to Cup, just a bit to the South. Wasn’t there a cross over connect to the trail and Cup. I seem to remember the trail being a lot more narrow than Cup. 
Bird Dog
March 21, 2023
29 posts

Western Territory at Snowshoe is Upper and Lower Cupp Run (the original),

and Upper and Lower Shay's Revenge (to the S.).  You can ski/board Upper

Shay's to Lower Cupp but not the other way around.

Grumpy dad
March 22, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

Hmm I wonder if this is going to be a new lift of a hand me down from another resort...

Bonzski wrote:

New Powder Monkey, Shavers Center and other Alterra news....

https://snowbrains.com/alterra-mountain-company-plans-to-invest-nearly-half-a-billion-dollars-in-transformational-changes-in-the-year-ahead/

jimw
March 22, 2023
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
Nice to confirm...Skytrac sounds like it would be a new lift.  I have not heard anything else about the new trail on Western that was surveyed back in 2019.  Also nice to hear they will be replacing Shaver's center.   
March 22, 2023
1,580 posts

Snowshoe upgrades a lift and replaces the torn down Shavers Center. The comments on their FB Page would make one think Snowshoe sacrificed everyone's first born. Good grief, people just like to complain.

It's funny -  when they discontinued the Ridiculous Pass all the comments were "I'm done with Snowshoe" or "That's it for me, I'm going to Timberline". Heck, Snowshoe is busier now than they were with that $200 season pass.   

jimw wrote:

Nice to confirm...Skytrac sounds like it would be a new lift.  I have not heard anything else about the new trail on Western that was surveyed back in 2019.  Also nice to hear they will be replacing Shaver's center.   
Shotmaker
March 22, 2023
180 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

There was a trail up near top of the world condos, lift, snowmaking etc…I believe back in the 80’s or 90’s. The trail ran down the western slope similar to cup run, before shays. Just curious what happened to it? 

Growing saplings. 

danimals
March 23, 2023 (edited March 23, 2023)
Member since 03/19/2019 🔗
18 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

Curious what happened to the trail on the West side, that was parallel to Cup, just a bit to the South. Wasn’t there a cross over connect to the trail and Cup. I seem to remember the trail being a lot more narrow than Cup. 

1679576647_fotjdpkddvns.jpg

Here's a video of someone riding the trails from about 9 years ago.

https://youtu.be/IHcr1vmS7A4

SeniorSki
March 23, 2023
139 posts
Well there ya go, WV powder. Wonder why they abandoned the trail? 
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2023
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Wow, danimals! Great video, even though it shows mostly the rider and not the terrain.  

I never knew that there was a pair of trails on that side of the road at Top of the World. Thanks for posting.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 23, 2023 (edited March 23, 2023)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

I have heard it was more difficult to keep snow on Hawthorne and I would guess just not needed - Shay's Revenge is not that busy most of the time.   

I think the fixed quad is underwhelming given Alterra is handing out express lifts to multiple other resorts.  But, much better than nothing.   I admit have not been to Shoe in several years.  

Edit:  I thought the video was very cool and hope they keep it mowed just for days like that.  

Bonzski
March 23, 2023
652 posts

pagamony wrote:

I have heard it was more difficult to keep snow on Hawthorne and I would guess just not needed - Shay's Revenge is not that busy most of the time.   

I think the fixed quad is underwhelming given Alterra is handing out express lifts to multiple other resorts.  But, much better than nothing.   I admit have not been to Shoe in several years.  

Edit:  I thought the video was very cool and hope they keep it mowed just for days like that.  

I've heard the same re Hawthorne.

New PM lift needs to be fixed-grip to have an option running when ice/wind causes detach (BH & SE) lifts to close.

Never gets mowed, now overgrown.

SeniorSki
March 23, 2023
139 posts
Looks like Hawthorne was too far away from the main trail system to have easy access. Wonder why they built it anyway but that was a long time ago. That has to be a long hike back up after running the trail. There is a road on the map at the bottom however an artist rendition. 
Shotmaker
March 23, 2023
180 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

There is a road on the map at the bottom however an artist rendition. 

Hawthorn Valley Road. This road runs to the NW of the golf course and close to the bottom of the trail. 

Bird Dog
March 24, 2023
29 posts
The original idea for the Hawthorne lift/run was to link up the top of Snowshoe at Top of the World with the clubhouse at the Raven golf course down at the bottom.  It didn't work for a number of reasons.  I'm pretty sure that the Hawthorne lift is now the Grabhammer lift in the Basin.
Bonzski
March 24, 2023 (edited March 24, 2023)
652 posts

Bird Dog wrote:

The original idea for the Hawthorne lift/run was to link up the top of Snowshoe at Top of the World with the clubhouse at the Raven golf course down at the bottom.

Maybe. It was the brain-child of Snowshoe's then owner's (Frank Burford) brother (Joe) who was known to be impulsive. His most famous, and still evident, idea is the ill-fated "airport" on the backside of Silvercreek.

rusty
March 24, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts

What is the scoop on the airport? Someone told me they "wanted to mine coal but couldn't get environmental approval so just built the airport and were able to dig all the coal out under the auspice of building the runway."

This set my BS detector off for a million reasons. It isn't on this map but surprisingly there are some surface mines in Pocohontas county. wvgs.wvnet.edu

My friend is a hobby pilot too and said "with the wind at top of Snowshoe I don't know how they ever expected to land small planes there" 

But anyways would love to learn more about Snowshoe lore. 

Bonzski wrote:

Bird Dog wrote:

The original idea for the Hawthorne lift/run was to link up the top of Snowshoe at Top of the World with the clubhouse at the Raven golf course down at the bottom.

Maybe. It was the brain-child of Snowshoe's then owner's (Frank Burford) brother (Joe) who was known to be impulsive. His most famous, and still evident, idea is the ill-fated "airport" on the backside of Silvercreek.

Mongo
March 25, 2023
98 posts
Anybody there in the last few days? What’s the snow like? Think it will survive the rain forecast for Saturday? Thinking of coming up Sunday.
Bonzski
March 27, 2023
652 posts

rusty wrote:

What is the scoop on the airport? Someone told me they "wanted to mine coal but couldn't get environmental approval so just built the airport and were able to dig all the coal out under the auspice of building the runway.

Kinda have it backwards. Burfords wanted the airport and cut a deal with somebody to do the excavation in exchange for the coal.  Well they didn't find any coal so operations stopped. I doubt EPA or FAA was involved in any planning/approval process.

This set my BS detector off for a million reasons. It isn't on this map but surprisingly there are some surface mines in Pocohontas county. wvgs.wvnet.edu

My friend is a hobby pilot too and said "with the wind at top of Snowshoe I don't know how they ever expected to land small planes there" 

Duh! I doubt they ever gave it any thought.

But anyways would love to learn more about Snowshoe lore.

Bird Dog
March 29, 2023
29 posts

I skied Snowshoe last Sunday and Monday.

The snow was heavy and slow, so stay on the Blues

and Blacks on the basin because you'll be poling the Greens.

Jets were out in full force. I counted 7 jets buzzing the village on Monday.

Group of 4, then a pair, then a solo pilot.  A complete Air Show!

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2023
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts

1680354033_otawftymqehq.jpg

DJ for a day add-on ticket?  Is this a joke?

MarkRebuck
April 1, 2023
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts
Well... it is April 1st, so...
mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2023
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
My daughter actually reminded me…🤣
11 months ago (edited 11 months ago)
1,580 posts

I saw on Facebook that they started tearing down the Powder Monkey lift. They took the chairs off a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be some chatter about the chairs going up for sale.

1682422154_kjxnmbokuwlo.jpg

Bonzski
10 months ago
652 posts

A few capex highlights from the 2023 State of the Shoe address...

1. New PM 4x fix-grip lift will include a loading conveyor with gates. No mention of RFID.  Also, top terminal will be raised 10ft higher and moved to "skier's left" which I assume is riders right.  This will reduce off-loading congestion and reduce skate to Western Territory. Ready for winter 23/24.

2. New Shavers center will be located "across from Skidder". I think this means more uphill, closer to Expedition Station. Ready for winter 24/25.

3. Water and air line replacements on terrain park and Skip Jack. Plus a team devoted to identifying and fixing leaks throughout the system to improve efficiency.

10 months ago
925 posts

I think the policies regarding backpack speakers would be great and could be more restrictive !!  PLEASE !!!!  SS go for it !!!!!!!

Mongo
10 months ago
98 posts

Not sure what RFID would really do for Snowshoe. Attendants having to scan your tag is not really causing the lift lines to be slow. It's the number of people and the speed and capacity of the lifts. Hopefully the new PM lift will improve that. But a trip to other resorts makes it clear that PM is not the only Snowshoe lift that needs updating.

Bonzski
10 months ago
652 posts

Mongo wrote:

Not sure what RFID would really do for Snowshoe. Attendants having to scan your tag is not really causing the lift lines to be slow. It's the number of people and the speed and capacity of the lifts. Hopefully the new PM lift will improve that. But a trip to other resorts makes it clear that PM is not the only Snowshoe lift that needs updating.

I agree, RFID won't shorten lines/waits, but they are often a component of gated terminals.  I'm curious which lift you think need updated next? Perhaps one at Silvercreek?

Shotmaker
10 months ago
180 posts
Bonzski I believe Cascade at Silver Creek would be the logical choice. Attendants who work there try to hold the chair back somewhat so your rear gets good contact with the seat. If you’re not in the correct loading place or the chair isn’t held back slightly you will get the upper calf thump. 

I’m sure you have this down pat but if you load with someone who isn’t accustomed to the timing/positioning or quirky nature of uneven loading it will make your take off interesting 🤔🤣. 
jimw
10 months ago
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts
IMO Conveyor belts are going to make the lines longer at Powder Monkey...but maybe over time people were learn how to use them..
Bonzski
10 months ago
652 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

Bonzski I believe Cascade at Silver Creek would be the logical choice. Attendants who work there try to hold the chair back somewhat so your rear gets good contact with the seat. If you’re not in the correct loading place or the chair isn’t held back slightly you will get the upper calf thump. 

I’m sure you have this down pat but if you load with someone who isn’t accustomed to the timing/positioning or quirky nature of uneven loading it will make your take off interesting 🤔🤣. 

Shotmaker that's my choice also. And while they're at it, push the upper terminal to upper Knifeblade.  A better lift there would also serve to attract more guests to Silvercreek.

I know the loading issue so very well, especially when loading with young kids which is often.

Mongo
10 months ago
98 posts

Even before Silver Creek, I'd have them make Ballhooter a six, and replace Grabhammer with a lift that goes all the way to the top.

Bonzski wrote:

Mongo wrote:

I agree, RFID won't shorten lines/waits, but they are often a component of gated terminals.  I'm curious which lift you think need updated next? Perhaps one at Silvercreek?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
10 months ago
3,245 posts

jimw wrote:

IMO Conveyor belts are going to make the lines longer at Powder Monkey...but maybe over time people were learn how to use them..

When conveyor loading was added to the long base lift at Massanutten years ago, the main advantage was that the lift stopped completely less often.  That lift serves a long green trail and is a way to access the upper mountain.  Still stops a bit on a busy weekend with lots of newbies, but not 4-5 times during a ride up.

The people who complained and took a while to learn how to load the old Supreme triple at Alta when conveyor loading was added were the advanced/expert skiers.  Was helpful for the intermediates who made their way over to Supreme.  Supreme terrain includes some of the best blue groomers at Alta, in addition to the great off-piste terrain.

10 months ago
925 posts

I don't want to see them improving both both Balhooter and Grabhammer as those slopes are too crowded already.  Tough choice but I would upgrade Balhooter and leave Grabhammer for the old crusty skiers that can live with a short slow lift and a really bad skate over to the (old) day lodge.  

I also feel like Shoe management has decided that Silve Creeks is the red headed step child.  No goodies for you !

eggraid
10 months ago
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

3. Water and air line replacements on terrain park and Skip Jack. Plus a team devoted to identifying and fixing leaks throughout the system to improve efficiency.

I volunteer to be a part of that team. All you have to do is ride up Ballhooter lift and you're sure to see 2-3 water leaks bubbling up through the ground. We joke that they are just hot tubs for squirrels. I was up there this weekend, they have some pretty big holes dug very close to the deck of Appalaichian Kitchen, I'm guessing that is where the top tower will end up.

Bonzski
10 months ago
652 posts

eggraid wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

I volunteer to be a part of that team. All you have to do is ride up Ballhooter lift and you're sure to see 2-3 water leaks bubbling up through the ground. We joke that they are just hot tubs for squirrels. I was up there this weekend, they have some pretty big holes dug very close to the deck of Appalaichian Kitchen, I'm guessing that is where the top tower will end up.

I noticed utility lines in those holes. Mostly electrical.

Bird Dog
6 months ago
29 posts

Good News: Snowshoe Drive from the Linwood library to the Silver Creek entrance has been repaved and widened. 

Bad News: It will cost to park as a commuter at Top of the World in their main lot beginning Dec. 14th.

Shuttle and Parking Information | Snowshoe Mountain Resort (snowshoemtn.com)

Bonzski
6 months ago
652 posts

Good News:

Lift lines will be shorter!

Bird Dog wrote:

Good News: Snowshoe Drive from the Linwood library to the Silver Creek entrance has been repaved and widened. 

Bad News: It will cost to park as a commuter at Top of the World in their main lot beginning Dec. 14th.

Shuttle and Parking Information | Snowshoe Mountain Resort (snowshoemtn.com)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?